Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post

Moving on to the point of the thread: Yea Adam I would hate for a skater with such talent not to live up to their potential. Hoping this season ends much better than last year.
    Was anyone else surprised when the thread popped up? I can't really say it occurred to me that Adam would be practicing a quad lutz. I love it though. I hope he can pull it off in competition. It looked great on the video.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    There was an article on ice network that mentioned it, so it wasn't a surprise to me.

What was a surprise was his reason, he said something along the lines of "couldn't get the quad toe". Cause lutzes are so much easier! Then again, for him they must be (he also said he would NOT be putting his arms above his head- now THAT would be something)

YEAH!
    vCash
    I find it a bit unfair that Min Zhang is credited as the first skater to land 3 quads in an LP, when Tim Goebel did it the same night (SLC free skate). The only reason Zhang got to do it first was because he skated an earlier group, and he skated in an earlier group because he did worse than Goebel in the SP. So it wasn't even random like the order of the GP events; Goebel was, in a way, losing the opportunity to be the first because he did well in the SP. Anyway, I'm sure it was worth it to him, since he was able to win bronze.

As far as Plushenko, he first tried the quad lutz 10 years ago, before Adam was on anyone's radar, and then gave it up, so I doubt that particular record is all that important to him, because we all know that when something is that important to him, he physically wills himself to do it. First 4-3-3 was really important to him. Landing quads in Vancouver was important to him. Trying different quads in competition had never been his thing. He has barely ever done the 4sal (just in Russian comps, I think).

vCash
    What about Mike Weiss' quad Lutz?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    There was an article on ice network that mentioned it, so it wasn't a surprise to me.

What was a surprise was his reason, he said something along the lines of "couldn't get the quad toe". Cause lutzes are so much easier! Then again, for him they must be (he also said he would NOT be putting his arms above his head- now THAT would be something)
    From the Icenetwork article (dated April 8, 2011) you cited, here's what Rippon said:
    I've been working on the [quad] Lutz. As soon as I put my arms in, it was easier. And no, I'm not doing it with my arms over my head.

I'm still working on [quad] toe as well, but I've been doing a few [Lutzes] every day and I am going to keep training it and working on it because it's something I would really love to do next season.

vCash
    Interesting about the lutz and the toe. My dd skates with a kid who was landing clean double lutzes extremely consistently long before he could land a single double toe. Obviously not the same as quads, but lutzes must be easier for some. It would be cool if Adam could get the quad lutz competition ready ... variety always makes things more interesting.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    As far as Plushenko, he first tried the quad lutz 10 years ago, before Adam was on anyone's radar, and then gave it up, so I doubt that particular record is all that important to him, because we all know that when something is that important to him, he physically wills himself to do it. .
    I believe that Evgeny Pliuta was attempting the 4 Lutz as early as 1999/2000/2001. He had as much success as anyone with it..since no one has landed it cleanly. He may have been the first...can't quite remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I find it a bit unfair that Min Zhang is credited as the first skater to land 3 quads in an LP, when Tim Goebel did it the same night (SLC free skate). The only reason Zhang got to do it first was because he skated an earlier group, and he skated in an earlier group because he did worse than Goebel in the SP. So it wasn't even random like the order of the GP events; Goebel was, in a way, losing the opportunity to be the first because he did well in the SP. Anyway, I'm sure it was worth it to him, since he was able to win bronze.
    Do you mean that Min Zhang was the first to land 3 quads in an Olympic LP? Because Tim Goebel landed 3 quads in the LP at 1999 Skate America and was the first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_HSQAm2HjU (Watching that program again made me really appreciate how much the rest of his skating had improved by SLC).

I recall Min Zhang was the first to land a quad in the SP at the first 4CC in 1999, and got kind of lucky there, because I think at least someone else landed it at 4CC but skated later? It was sort of surprising that no one had landed it prior to that competition since it had been allowed since the beginning of the season.
    Last edited by RFOS; 05-30-2011 at 11:08 PM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Do you mean that Min Zhang was the first to land 3 quads in an Olympic LP? Because Tim Goebel landed 3 quads in the LP at 1999 Skate America and was the first.
    Yes, you are right! Thanks for the clarification.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234