vCash

Natalie Pechalat & Fabian Borzat

The past few weeks I've read many comments on Natalie & Fabian.
    I have to say that I just can't make up my mind about these two.
    To start-I'm a huge fan of these two & have been since I first saw them at the 2004 World Championships in Germany. But even then there were errors in their free dance.
    Then the errors, this is a list of errors I've seen from them just from the events I've seen them in -
    2004 World's free dance, 2005 World's original dance, 2006 Olympics original & free dance, 2007 World's original dance, 2008 Skate Canada original & Free dance, 2010 Euro's free dance, 2011 World's free dance.
    If they are EVER to get a World medal they really need to cut out the errors.
    Zhulin-I was really happy when they left France to go to train with Zhulin but now I feel he is holding them back. Other than the 2007/2008 free dance I've yet to see a great programme from them when I've thought WOW !!!
    Zhulin is clearly not using Natalie's fantastic flair & personality to their advantage.
    If they choose to retire next year after their home World Champs, I fell that even with a European gold medal their career will be seen as a let down.
    I really hope they continue until 2014 but if next year is the same as this I can see them quitting.
    Maybe if they had stayed in France & waited for Del/Sch to retire it would be different. But now I feel time is running out for them.

vCash
    I like them and I'll be really sad if they can't get at least a bronze medal next year at Worlds. I'm still cringing about that awful fall in the FD. They really are better than the Shibs, but they lost it. I like Faiella/Scali too but it's too bad they might still P/B's potential medal next season now that they're coming back. I would like it if P/B would stay until Sochi because even though they have msitakes I think they're still improving. Their FD this year was better than anything they'd done in the past IMO, without the fall of course.

vCash
    If they retire next year (after Nice, I mean) with a world bronze medal along with the European gold (maybe two), I don't think it'll be seen as a disappointment at all. They have a large contingent of fans that admire their audacity and verve, should do well in shows (or whatever life takes them too - I believe both are studying at university), and truthfully, it's not like French ice dance has a team ready to take over and challenge for podiums like these two.

The fall in the FD was definitely devastating. These guys have worked so hard this season, and for it to end like like that in a freak moment - just heartwrending.

vCash
    Faiella & Scali are no threat to Pechalat & Bourzat at this point. Their threats next year for the bronze will be the Shibutanis, the Russian teams, and possibly Weaver & Poje.

YEAH!
    vCash
    It is sad that they might end up as a team with just a European title and maybe one world bronze to their credit. They have beautiful basics, nice line and carriage, emotion, drama, chemistry, creativity... the type of team that should have multiple titles/medals at major events. I blame it on both politiks and their own mistakes.

vCash
    Cherub721, I agree with you.

I'm not sure what happened to P&B at World's. For the most part they seemed to have moved past the point where they couldn't seem to get through a competition without some sort of mishap. They must be wanting to kick themselves for the fall in Russia yet at the same time I do feel that they have become another DelShoes. Even when they have really brought it and skated an amazing competition they haven't been rewarded for it (except for winning Europeans). IMO even with the missing the podium this season they should already have a medal from 2008. I do wonder if being beaten by the Shibutani's will make next season more difficult no matter what they come up with next or how they skate it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    The fall in the FD was definitely devastating. These guys have worked so hard this season, and for it to end like like that in a freak moment - just heartwrending.
    I really felt bad for them .When their music ended and their expressions dropped to the floor

Sooo unlucky .As Chris said in the gala it was strange as they train in that rink and should have felt the most comfortable but that is not always the case .Fabian fell in the EX too

I feel they need some excellent programmes next season if they want to stay top three and the Italians returning.

vCash
    I think they must feel that the judges are now against them even more now.
    Even with the fall they were FAR BETTER than the Americans.
    I really get upset to think that in the lead up to Sochi it's now about who you are coached by & what country you are from. To me it was always going to be that result as all three medal winners are coached by the same team & are North American, which now seems to be the power countries in ice dance.
    Don't get me wrong, I love V/M (Who were robbed of Gold) but D/W are like mini pairs skaters more than ice dancers & were not punished for their poor short dance.
    The second ranked US team still look like juniors & had they been from Europe would have been hard pushed to get into the top ten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I really get upset to think that in the lead up to Sochi it's now about who you are coached by & what country you are from.
    And until recently it didn't matter what country you were from?
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I think they must feel that the judges are now against them even more now.
    Even with the fall they were FAR BETTER than the Americans.
    And if they stood up on their footwork, it would've been reflected in the score. They lost eight points from missing that element. That would've been more than enough to beat the Shibutanis.

While they may be better skaters than the Shibs, at the end of the day, it comes down to whoever brings their A-game on any given day. P/B didn't bring their best that day. Figure skating is still a sport and you still have to perform when it counts. BTW, P/B got better PCS than the Shibutanis in both the FD and the SD, so I'm not sure how the judges are against them.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    And until recently it didn't matter what country you were from?
    I'm with you - that was my first reaction too. Many would say "turnabout is fair play". I don't agree and wish it would just go away for once and for all - but this is hardly news to ice dancers. Coach hopping is not just for technique.

vCash
    I agree that the Russian ice dancers in the past were favoured, also those coached by Linichuk & Karponasov but ice dance really had opened up over the last decade.
    I guess ice dance more than pairs & singles is so subjective.
    I too wish that everyone is judged on what they do on the day & NOT on reputation.
    But with this judging system they really should be making each judge answer for the marks they give because I really feel some ARE biased & no it's not a new thing but does that mean we should ignore it?.
    Even with a fall I fell that Natalie & Fabian should have been well clear for the bronze medal. I know others don't agree but hey that's skating !!!!