Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    A new low? Her uncle dumped a woman in a pond and took off. It doesn't get much lower than that. In fact, given her background, I'd be surprised if Maria knew that there was such a thing as a decent man.
    When her father died, Maria's eulogy included a poignant tribute to her father for doing such a great job of teaching his sons how to treat women.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I agree with whomever it was who said that Maria couldn't leave Arnold (when she previously might have known) because her parents would not have understood her leaving, in other words, other members of the family had done same. But when it was revealed (this winter after her second parent, her father, died) that there was a child, she went over the edge of no return.

Was there a chance that he could have had another term as governor and that the mistress threatened to blow the story out if he did, and was that when he thought he better tell Maria, and therefore no more governator?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Was there a chance that he could have had another term as governor and that the mistress threatened to blow the story out if he did, and was that when he thought he better tell Maria, and therefore no more governator?
    No. He had termed out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Really, in the end, equating Maria with people we know is ridiculous. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, and later married into even greater wealth and security. Arnold's net worth is estimated anywhere from 100 to 400 million dollars. Keep in mind that California is one of those 50-50 marital assets states, and any prenup agreement they may have signed has long since expired. So, I don't know why anyone is insulted with the suggestion that Maria may be a wife who knew of her husband's shenanigans, but put up with it for wealth, security, and public image.
    I don't think "insulted" is the right word. I just don't think your theory makes much sense. She was a millionaire before she married Arnold. Estimates put her net worth at $100 milllion dollars. You don't think that's enough to give her a feeling of wealth and security? She needed more? Really? And being part of the Kennedy/Shriver family and a tv journalist didn't give her status? She needed to marry the Terminator? I think a lot of people thought that the marriage negatively affected her public image. So, I find the idea that she married and remained married to a guy she believed to be a cheating scumbag because she wanted wealth, security and stature to be kind of silly. We don't know the facts about what she knew about Arnold and when. But, one theory I will never buy is that she was was happy to be the wife of someone she believed to be a cheater because she wanted money, security, and prestige. I think that's nonsense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    When her father died, Maria's eulogy included a poignant tribute to her father for doing such a great job of teaching his sons how to treat women.
    Oh, that's nice to hear. I had always heard her mother was a decent sort, but I know next to nothing about her father.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I'm looking for proof of the retort Sargeant Shriver had for the old "Kennedys don't cry" mantra. I know I read it somewhere. Anyone got a clue?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm looking for proof of the retort Sargeant Shriver had for the old "Kennedys don't cry" mantra. I know I read it somewhere. Anyone got a clue?

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may...ent/et-levine4

[Once, at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, one of Shriver's sons fell down and burst into tears. Bobby Kennedy chided the child, saying, "Kennedys don't cry." Shriver lifted the boy and cooed, "That's OK, you can cry. You're a Shriver."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may...ent/et-levine4
    [Once, at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, one of Shriver's sons fell down and burst into tears. Bobby Kennedy chided the child, saying, "Kennedys don't cry." Shriver lifted the boy and cooed, "That's OK, you can cry. You're a Shriver."
    YES!!! That's it. Thanks for finding it Norlite. For some reason I could not. I'm watching The Exorcist and got distracted I guess.

vCash
    Okay, now I really like him.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I just don't think your theory makes much sense. She was a millionaire before she married Arnold.
    Oh, but you're making all the sense in the world!

In the end, neither of us knows what Maria knew or didn't know. You can pretend all you want that you are somehow more in-the-know of actual facts, but you aren't. And yes, Maria was a millionaire before she married Arnold (though I seriously doubt her net worth was 100 million). But at the time she married Arnold, his popularity and net worth was probably at or nearing its zenith. Oh, but with her wealth, I'm sure she would have married Arnold even if he were a B-list actor who worked at McDonald's to make ends meet.

vCash
    While Maria may be worth 100 million dollars, lets also remember the lifestyle she's accustomed too. Private jets etc all of that adds up cash first. And lets imagine to if her and Arnold got divorced how much of their combined 500 million would go to lawyers. I'm not sure I'd find all of that a great prospect myself if I'm Maria OR Arnold.

vCash
    Oh, that's nice to hear. I had always heard her mother was a decent sort, but I know next to nothing about her father.
    Her father started the Peace Corps. Her mother started the Special Olympics and was part of the Kennedy family. I'm sure they taught Maria that she would have the wealth, security, and status she was so obviously lacking if only she would marry a two-timing rich bodybuilder/action star.

Oh, but you're making all the sense in the world!
    Thank you.

Oh, but with her wealth, I'm sure she would have married Arnold even if he were a B-list actor who worked at McDonald's to make ends meet.
    Oh, please. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think you're smart enough to know that the issue you're raising here is different from whether Maria happily married a cheating scumbag because she desperately craved even more money and security and oddly thought that her stature as a journalist and Kennedy family member would actually be improved by marrying a bodybuilder/action star. I used to work at McDonalds in high school and I can't imagine ever being interested in dating someone who had decided they'd be happy spending their life working there. Not because they couldn't give me lots of money, security, or status -- I don't need a huge amount of those things and, in any event, prefer to earn those things on my own -- but because they'd have to be pretty uninteresting to be willing to spend decades flipping burgers and wouldn't be very good conversationalists. Arnold was close to forty when he married Maria. And, yeah, I can't imagine Maria, an inquisitive journalist, being interested in someone who had been happy to spend a couple of decades flipping burgers. But, anyone with even half a brain knows that's different from wanting to marry a cheater because being a millionaire journalist from the Kennedy family just didn't provide enough money, security, and stature.

But, you seem hellbent on convincing people that Maria's a massively greedy and irrational person with no pride or desire for respect and decency from her husband. So, have at it.
    Last edited by Allskate; 05-22-2011 at 06:09 PM.

vCash
    And yes, Maria was a millionaire before she married Arnold (though I seriously doubt her net worth was 100 million).
    This is what has been reported. That Maria's net worth is 100 million and Arnold's is ~ 400 million.
    Sure all things are relative, perhaps that many extra millions makes a difference because of the life style she had become accustomed to, but really thinking that she would stay in the marriage because of money seems a bit to me.
    But you are right only the people involved in the relationship know what the real story is. Then again, real stories change from each person in the relationship perspectives.

vCash
    Her father started the Peace Corps. Her mother started the Special Olympics and was part of the Kennedy family. I'm sure they taught Maria that she would have the wealth, security, and status she was so obviously lacking if only she would marry a two-timing rich bodybuilder/action star.
    Obviously Maria doesn't need Arnold for status or money. But the fact is that the women in her family have long put up with a lot from their husbands. And I suspect the marriages staying together (even if i wonder apart seperately) is part of what kept the money IN the family.

vCash
    Wyliefan, given that you ended up saying this

Okay, now I really like him.
    perhaps you should refrain from saying things like this
    In fact, given her background, I'd be surprised if Maria knew that there was such a thing as a decent man.
    especially when you admit

I know next to nothing about her father.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Wyliefan, given that you ended up saying this

perhaps you should refrain from saying things like this

especially when you admit

It seems Wyliefan is referring to the fact that the Kennedys were notorious womanizers who had been involved in sordid things or had nasty rumors swirl about them.
    However, I think that it shouldn't have prevented Maria from expecting more from her own marriage. OTOH, Arnold was always Arnold.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    SNL had a hilarious skit last night called "Really?!?" about AS

"Also, you couldn't help but notice that every one of your movies makes a perfect New York Post headline for this story. Junior, Twins, True Lies, Predator, Judgement Day, Collateral Damage and Raw Deal."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It seems Wyliefan is referring to the fact that the Kennedys were notorious womanizers who had been involved in sordid things or had nasty rumors swirl about them.
    I was. Thanks.

vCash
    In fairness many are saying Maria's actually quite religious and that may be the reason she's not apt to getting a divorce. Also reportedly while Maria's family obviously had money, her mother was actually not known for running her household in the same ostentatious way her parents did. Eunice actually sounds like an amazing woman. The best of Joe Kennedy's kids is right.

vCash
    But, you seem hellbent on convincing people that Maria's a massively greedy and irrational person with no pride or desire for respect and decency from her husband.
    YOU initially responded to my comment, and did so yet again when I made another general comment. You're the big know-it-all here--or so you think.

And YAWN...you're also now quite boring.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast