Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 1007
  1. #821
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    womp womp.

    Anyway, someone said above that they didn't think Mel B was really engaged. But her tweets indicate to me that she is, because afterwards she tweeted a pic of her and her boyfriend (now fiancee, apparently) with the caption "in love".
    She also previously tweeted, "I'm engaged!" which I think is slightly more indicative of that conclusion

  2. #822

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,882
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, I don't know if Melissa is as serious a skater as Irina Slutskaya. Irina was the best of the best, and Melissa, while very talented, is a middle of the pack US Nationals skater. Melissa won't be winning world medals any time soon.

    It's quite well possible she'll want to pursue a job and a different life path now that she will be married and she has someone else to think about, in addition to herself. Then again, it's possible she will continue. Though, I'd imagine it will be harder.
    Yes, Irina was one of the top ladies in the World and it's unlikely that Melissa will ever reach the same levels that Irina did. However, someone else mentioned Jenna McKorkell in this thread (as much as her skating might bore a lot of us ). She's also married and still competing. If Melissa still wants to competes, I don't understand why marriage would stop that. Of course, there will be some changes but spouses can still pursue the same careers, goals and hobbies that they had before getting married. Plus, as long as her fiancée is supportive, I don't think being an amateur skater has to be harder for Melissa.
    Last edited by modern_muslimah; 08-15-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: fixed typos
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  3. #823

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    99
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6
    Congrats to Melissa!

    Has she announced a date too? Maybe she's planning a long engagement, maybe not...? Either way, she must be so happy!

  4. #824

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    887
    Melissa's fiancee is in the armed forces (don't know what section) and is about to be deployed to Afghanistan, so I don' think the wedding is super imminent. I also don't see how being engaged/married would interfere with her skating. Congrats and best of luck to the happy couple!

  5. #825
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    She also previously tweeted, "I'm engaged!" which I think is slightly more indicative of that conclusion
    oh yeah, that too

  6. #826
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Melissa's fiancee is in the armed forces (don't know what section) and is about to be deployed to Afghanistan, so I don' think the wedding is super imminent. I also don't see how being engaged/married would interfere with her skating. Congrats and best of luck to the happy couple!
    Well, if I was an elite skater I would rather spend more time with my husband than at a skating rink. Competing at such a high level requires a lot of time and a lot of dedication.

    I hope she does continue. I enjoy watching her skate

  7. #827

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,679
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    More "fun with numbers" ... here are the Senior and Junior ladies who are known to have scored over 90 points in the free skate portion of a summer competition as of August 12:

    111+ Vanessa Lam (Silicon Valley Open, Sr)
    109.62 Gracie Gold (Skate Detroit Final Round, Jr)
    108.97 Leah Keiser (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    108.73 Ashley Wagner (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    106.31 Samantha Cesario (Liberty, Sr)
    102.63 Gracie Gold (Glacier Falls, Jr)
    101.73 Vanessa Lam (Hidden Valley Open, Sr)
    101.65 Courtney Hicks (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    100.16 Mirai Nagasu (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    100+ Gracie Gold (Skate Milwaukee, Jr)
    99.81 Gracie Gold (Northern Blast, Jr)
    99.31 Gracie Gold (Skate Detroit Qualifying Round, Jr)
    98.41 Nina Jiang (Cannon TX Open, Sr)
    96.46 Barbie Long (Skate Detroit FR, Jr)
    95.84 Angela Wang (Liberty, Sr)
    95.72 Hannah Miller (Skate Detroit QR, Jr)
    94.80 Caroline Zhang (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    94.41 Barbie Long (Skate Detroit QR, Jr)
    93.84 Nina Jiang (Skate Detroit FR, Sr)
    93.83 Vanessa Lam (All Year Comp., Sr)
    93.79 Leah Keiser (Liberty, Sr)
    93.79 Vanessa Lam (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    93.13 Barbie Long (Broadmoor Open FR, Jr)
    93.05 Nina Jiang (Skate Detroit QR, Sr)
    93.02 Courtney Hicks (LA Open, Sr)
    92.58 Polina Edmunds (Liberty FR, Jr)
    92.52 Mariah Bell (Ann Arbor Springtime, Jr)
    91.76 Yasmin Siraj (Boston Open, Sr)
    91.98 Hannah Miller (Ann Arbor Springtime, Jr)
    91.75 Hannah Miller (Skate Detroit FR, Jr)
    90+ Polina Edmunds (Silicon Valley Open, Jr)

    Note: The 3 italicized skaters above with a + after their score do not have separate FS scores officially published online and so they are considered "hearsay" scores.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.

  8. #828

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35596
    Yay Melissa!!! I met her briefly at 2007 Nationals, and she was super-nice and super-cute (she was surprised I had heard of her, lol).
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  9. #829
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, if I was an elite skater I would rather spend more time with my husband than at a skating rink. Competing at such a high level requires a lot of time and a lot of dedication.

    I hope she does continue. I enjoy watching her skate
    Eh. If he's deploying, depending on his role and branch in the military, since he is heading to Afghanistan he is likely deploying for 12+ months. It's possible he's already spent a good portion of the past year(s) away from her, due to his military duties. As someone who is in a 3+ year distance relationship with someone in the military and have many friends who serve in the military, I've seen countless couples get engaged prior to one leaving for deployment -- especially one's first deployment. It doesn't mean they're going to get married as soon as he returns.

    At this point, I doubt that means any changes for her skating career over the next two seasons, at least. Other than maybe being a bit more careful about one's budget in order to save properly for wedding expenses.

  10. #830
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Eh. If he's deploying, depending on his role and branch in the military, since he is heading to Afghanistan he is likely deploying for 12+ months. It's possible he's already spent a good portion of the past year(s) away from her, due to his military duties. As someone who is in a 3+ year distance relationship with someone in the military and have many friends who serve in the military, I've seen countless couples get engaged prior to one leaving for deployment -- especially one's first deployment. It doesn't mean they're going to get married as soon as he returns.

    At this point, I doubt that means any changes for her skating career over the next two seasons, at least. Other than maybe being a bit more careful about one's budget in order to save properly for wedding expenses.
    That's what I was thinking too. Figure skating is a very expensive sport. Trust me, I know!

  11. #831
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Zamboni room
    Posts
    433
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debbie S
    ...Sorry if this was already asked and answered, but is Linda Leaver (Brian B's coach) still coaching?
    It's been asked before, but I have never seen an answer. Would be interesting to know...
    No, she doesn't coach on a regular basis. I believe that she occasionally does some consulting.

  12. #832
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. Figure skating is a very expensive sport. Trust me, I know!
    She said in an interview once that her goal is to go to the 2014 Olympics and that the jump analysis thing in Delaware is helping her improve her jumps (and get the triple axel she's been trying since like 3 years ago).

  13. #833

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,679
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Reposting this article about Christina Gao and what she focused on improving this summer when sidelined by a hip injury, plus some info about Ashley Wagner and Rachael Flatt from Champs Camp: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

  14. #834

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,679
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Originally posted in a thread in GSD and moved here:
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    This should probably go in a different thread but has anyone heard anything about Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, and Amanda Dobbs?

    I remember a post about Gong quitting which is very sad, but I'd like a confirmation on this one. According to her twitter, Kawamura is still skating, but is there any news? Same thing with Amanda Dobbs, any news about her recovery and singles/pairs? I hope either Kawamura or Dobbs get a Finlandia spot too!
    I believe neither Kawamura nor Dobbs are eligible for Finlandia because they needed to skate in a summer competition before Sept. 1st in order to show "competition readiness" (AFAIK, they haven't).

    I haven't heard anything to date about whether or not these 3 have entered Regionals... Kawamura probably has, but I'm not sure if Dobbs will continue to compete in Central Pacifics or has switched to Southwesterns since she is in Texas now.

    Leah Keiser, Angela Wang and Nina Jiang all will compete Senior at Regionals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2011 at 07:31 AM.

  15. #835
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow, so Leah and Angela are "officially" senior within the US. Interesting. I wonder how they will stack up there.

  16. #836
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Reposting this article about Christina Gao and what she focused on improving this summer when sidelined by a hip injury, plus some info about Ashley Wagner and Rachael Flatt from Champs Camp: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Per the article, Gao and Flatt working on components and artistry, and Wagner working on jump technique to get consistency. Sounds like all 3 are doing what they need to do! I just hope that speed is on Rachael's list

  17. #837

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,679
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Courtney Hicks article: http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/09/h...s-for-the-top/
    She will make her JGP debut this coming week in Brisbane, Australia.

  18. #838

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Originally posted in a thread in GSD and moved here:

    I believe neither Kawamura nor Dobbs are eligible for Finlandia because they needed to skate in a summer competition before Sept. 1st in order to show "competition readiness" (AFAIK, they haven't).

    I haven't heard anything to date about whether or not these 3 have entered Regionals... Kawamura probably has, but I'm not sure if Dobbs will continue to compete in Central Pacifics or has switched to Southwesterns since she is in Texas now.

    Leah Keiser, Angela Wang and Nina Jiang all will compete Senior at Regionals.

    I thought Dobbs did her SP right after moving to Texas at Skate Detroit, maybe?

  19. #839

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    914
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    660
    Yes, Amanda Dobbs did her SP at Skate Detroit with a score of 46.55. She withdrew after that and didn't do her FS.

    I recall reading somewhere that her injury (back?) started bothering her and that was why she withdrew.

  20. #840
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Yay Melissa!!! I met her briefly at 2007 Nationals, and she was super-nice and super-cute (she was surprised I had heard of her, lol).

    Congrats to Melissa! She is a bubbly young lady. We've met and spoken to her a few times at the University of Delaware and Liberty Summer Competition. Her parents are very nice, too. They were so thrilled that she finished in the top ten at US Nationals in January. I enjoy watching her skate, and hopes she continues in the sport for as long as she wishes to do so.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •