Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Courtney Hicks

vCash

Courtney Hicks

Does anyone know if she is moving up to seniors next year? I would really like to see her in the senior GP. She shows such potential. Do you think she would get 2 slots?
    I think its time for the USFSA to look else where. The current crop of ladies have had their chances. I would like to see the USFSA push some other ladies into the spotlight.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I don't anything for sure, but it seems more logical for Courtney to skate on the JGP this season since she is not guaranteed any Sr. GP assignments based on her Junior Worlds placement (6th) or SB score there (#32). What's the rush?

vCash
    I think Courtney has potential, but also a lot to work on, and given her lack of international experience, it makes far more sense to go on the JGP than the Senior GP.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    I would like to see the USFSA push some other ladies into the spotlight.
    IMO, one of the problems that USFSA has is hyping young, up and coming skaters far too much. The pattern that I have seen with their doing so has resulted in skaters imploding because of the implied pressure. That goes for both the men's and ladies' side of the equation. It must be a really uncomfortable spot in which you're set up to be the next "Messiah". I think that USFSA should provide publicity in a shared format, where the overall pool of talent is shown. But USFSA probably will never learn.

vCash
    I hope she stays junior, she really needs to work on her line, presentation, spins, etc. There are too many seniors that would be above her at the moment.

vCash
    Courtney should probably stay in JGP but she has tremendous potential. She seems to be a good competitor and she can jump. No doubt she will skate as a senior at Nationals though. But i kind of agree with FlyingCamel the ladies who came up in 2007-2008 just haven't got it done. Rachael is maxed out Wagner always disappoints Zhang is a nonentity at this point and mirai is a heacase. The US is in trouble if those are the skaters in the lead for Sochi. Except Mirai if she gets her had on straight.
    Last edited by Jammers; 05-08-2011 at 05:28 PM.

vCash
    I believe John Nicks said that Courtney would skate on the JGP next year. I don't know what she plans to do nationally.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    For those who may not have seen Courtney Hicks' 2011 Jr. Worlds videos:

SP (10th)

FS (4th)

Clip of her cool catchfoot camel to sit spin variation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For those who may not have seen Courtney Hicks' 2011 Jr. Worlds videos:

SP (10th)
    Interesting SP. Has it been addressed before that the music and the dress remind us of .... someone else

But seriously, I agree that she needs a little more time in the Jr. ranks. Her line needs work. but from what I see, it should all come with time and experience. Why inundate the US Senior lady ranks with someone who is not quite there yet?

vCash
    I am just so tired of skaters like Gilles getting the GP slots. Give them to someone else. Especially getting Skate America. If she gets invited to Skate America again I am going to scream.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Newly created thread in the Trash Can forum - Off season chitchat: US Ladies (have at 'em! love 'em! etc.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Interesting SP. Has it been addressed before that the music and the dress remind us of .... someone else
    It was intentional. Sasha lent her the dress.

vCash
    I am just so tired of skaters like Gilles getting the GP slots. Give them to someone else. Especially getting Skate America. If she gets invited to Skate America again I am going to scream.
    I second that. Give Mirai Skate America. Anyone but Gillies or Zhang.

vCash
    I am just so tired of skaters like Gilles getting the GP slots. Give them to someone else.
    Skaters earn their own spots on the GP due to their past performances and achievements.

Or would you like a Sandhu solution to every skater who has the temerity to not be your cup of tea?
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Alexei Gilles is WAY below the minimum score for the GP, so the only way she'd get to the GP is a host pick. Her 14th place at Nationals together with her embarrassing 12th place performance at SA 2010 pretty much preclude that.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I wish the USFS would take a hard line on bad flutzes and force junior skaters to remove them from the program until fixed. This kind of a terrible, Bobekian flutz is really going to hurt Courtney long-term if not corrected. The change of edge is so severe that -2 or even -3 is justified.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I couldn't agree more. She is getting too heavy and it's time for her to go to college. It seems like the broadmoor kids get the benefit of the doubt.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I wish the USFS would take a hard line on bad flutzes and force junior skaters to remove them from the program until fixed. This kind of a terrible, Bobekian flutz is really going to hurt Courtney long-term if not corrected.
    Lutz (double or triple) is the required solo jump in the Junior SP this coming season so hopefully Hicks is working on improving her entry edge for the JGP this fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I think Courtney has potential, but also a lot to work on, and given her lack of international experience, it makes far more sense to go on the JGP than the Senior GP.
    Especially where the GP slots are getting cut down next season. Her only international competition was Junior Worlds where she finished 6th, which though respectable did not earn her a medal or a garaunteed GP spot. She'd likely only get 1 assignment if she opted to do the senior circuit, and may be at risk of not even getting any, whereas if she does JGP I have no doubt she could earn 2 assignments and probably a trip to the final too.

vCash
    Courtney isn't ready for SGP yet. She wouldn't do very well. She still has a lot to work on in the PCS dept., namely her line, posture, extension, musicality..etc. She will do quite well on the JGP though.

Does anyone know if Adelina Sotnikova or Elizaveta Tuktamysheva plan to move up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast