Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    392
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Skaters who won (Euros,) Worlds and Olympics in the same year

    I'm not thinking about Ice Dance for the moment, because in the past mostly when one Ice Dance pair was champion, they remained champions until their retirement from ISU competitions.

    John Curry won in 1976, Euros, Worlds and Olympics.

    Katarina Witt did it in 1988.

    Didn't Albright and Heiss win Worlds after their Olympic wins?

    Yamaguchi did it in '92.

    I'm sure there are more skaters, but this is all that comes to mind right now.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yags

    Dick Button

    Sonja Henie

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Alexei Yagudin

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    64
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There are lots of skaters that won Worlds and Olympics the same year. 1948 was the last year N. American skaters took part in Euros, but one can assume that most of the European skaters listed also won Euros if they took part that year.

    Men:
    U. Salchow (1908)
    G. Grafstrom (1928)
    K. Schafer (1932, 1936)
    R. Button (1948, 1952)
    H.A. Jenkins (1956)
    M. Schnelldorfer (1964)
    O. Nepela (1972)
    J. Curry (1976)
    S. Hamilton (1984)
    B. Boitano (1988)
    V. Petrenko (1992)
    A. Yagudin (2002)

    Ladies:
    H. Jaross-Szabo (1924)
    S. Henie (1928, 1932, 1936)
    B.A. Scott (1948)
    C. Heiss (1960)
    S. Dijkstra (1964)
    P. Fleming (1968)
    B. Schuba (1972)
    D. Hamill (1976)
    A. Potszch (1980)
    K. Witt (1984, 1988)
    K. Yamaguchi (1992)

    Pairs:
    Hubler/ Burger (1908)
    Engelmann/ Berger (1924)
    Joly/ Brunet (1928)
    Herber/ Baier (1936)
    Lannoy/ Baugniet (1948)
    Falk/ Falk (1952)
    Schwarz/ Oppelt (1956)
    Wagner/ Paul (1960)
    Protopopov's (1968)
    Rodnina/ Ulanov (1972)
    Rodnina/ Zaitsev (1976)
    Mishkuteniok/ Dmitriev (1992)

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    392
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank your for the info.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paulee View Post
    There are lots of skaters that won Worlds and Olympics the same year. 1948 was the last year N. American skaters took part in Euros, but one can assume that most of the European skaters listed also won Euros if they took part that year.
    Yes, you're right. But surprisingly, Viktor Petrenko won 1990 and 1991 Euros, but finished only 2nd in 1992 !!!!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,638
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Yes, you're right. But surprisingly, Viktor Petrenko won 1990 and 1991 Euros, but finished only 2nd in 1992 !!!!
    Even weirder, he finished 3rd at Soviet Nationals

  8. #8
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,743
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    Ladies Euro's didn't start until 1930, so Sonja Henie was the first woman to do the triple crown in 1932 and repeated in '36. Witt did the triple crown in '84 as well as '88. Rodnina did the triple crown in 1972 and '76 but their withdrawal from Dortmund due to her 'injury' - it was said the move was political after Tai & Randy withdrew - prevented her from winning a third triple crown which would have been unprecedented.

    Barbara Ann Scott and Dick Button are the only NA skaters to have achieved the feat obviously due to the banning of NA skaters after '48. Did North America even have an alternative to this feat? The North American Championships which were supposedly the alternative to euro's were only held bi-annually and in non-Olympic years.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,245
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    Didn't Albright and Heiss win Worlds after their Olympic wins?
    Albright lost (to Heiss) at 1956 Worlds.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    392
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You're right, I had forgotten. Now I remember an interview when she said it was the only time her mother had watched her win gold before her passing away.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,771
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15825
    Yagudin 2002

    It's funny how many of the European OGMs didn't actually win Euros or even Worlds the year they won OG...Kulik didn't even go, Plushenko didn't, Petrenko didn't...there are probably more but it's early and my brain's not working.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    I think many skaters "skip" worlds for whatever reason after Olympic gold because they are afraid of the OG being called a fluke if they don't win Worlds.

    Are there any skaters who have won all the major competitons? Worlds, Olympics, Euros/4CC, Nationals, Grand Prix Final all Grand Prix Competitions (SC, SA, COR, COC, TEB & NHK)

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Yagudin 2002

    It's funny how many of the European OGMs didn't actually win Euros or even Worlds the year they won OG...Kulik didn't even go, Plushenko didn't, Petrenko didn't...there are probably more but it's early and my brain's not working.
    Viktor Petrenko won Worlds in 1992, the same year he won the OGM, though he was 2nd at Euros that year (and 3rd at the Soviet Championships)

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's also weird how so many olympic gold medalist didn't win their own nationals that year: Sarah Hughes, Yags, Evan, Arakawa...

    ETA: Lipinski and Petrenko
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 05-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,996
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In Sarah Hughes's case her winning Nationals would be almost as big an upset as her winning the Olympics was.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,771
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15825
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    It's also weird how so many olympic gold medalist didn't win their own nationals that year: Sarah Hughes, Yags, Evan, Arakawa...
    Ah, but remember, no-one cares about Russian Nationals.

    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Viktor Petrenko won Worlds in 1992, the same year he won the OGM, though he was 2nd at Euros that year (and 3rd at the Soviet Championships)
    Sorry, I did mean that Petrenko didn't win Euros (but he won Worlds). Like I said, it was early, brain not functioning

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St.Uttgart
    Posts
    240
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post

    Are there any skaters who have won all the major competitons? Worlds, Olympics, Euros/4CC, Nationals, Grand Prix Final all Grand Prix Competitions (SC, SA, COR, COC, TEB & NHK)
    I think Shen and Zhao did.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Are there any skaters who have won all the major competitons? Worlds, Olympics, Euros/4CC, Nationals, Grand Prix Final all Grand Prix Competitions (SC, SA, COR, COC, TEB & NHK)
    I think Alexei Yagudin is the closest : he won everything in 2002 except Goodwill Games (he was 3rd !!!! and Nationals ?).

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I think Alexei Yagudin is the closest : he won everything in 2002 except Goodwill Games (he was 3rd !!!! and Nationals ?).
    Yags would probably one of the closest, he didn't go to nationals that year.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Yags would probably one of the closest, he didn't go to nationals that year.
    Actually he didn't go to COC or NHK, Plushy didn't win them all either. Only S/Z won everything from what I can see.

    I guess it helps if you were invited to all of them, and have a long career

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •