Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Dealing with a fussy cat

My vet has recommended that I get kitty eating chicken wings to help clean his teeth. He has a bit of tartar on them. So far he has just looked, sniffed, shown mild interest and walked away.

He is pretty fussy generally. The vet suggested to let him get hungry so that he will need to eat them. But also to put chicken seasoning on them as the salty taste might encourage him. Tried both methods so far (but he might not be hungry enough).

So any suggestions? You guys are probably the one of the best sources of information when it comes to cats (after the vet).
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Does he have to eat the wings on the bone, or could he eat just the meat? If it's the latter, maybe if you deboned the wings and chopped the meat up, he might be more interested. Or perhaps you could mix the chicken wings or meat with the food he does like, so he gets used to the chicken and might be more willing to eat it on its own.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    He needs to eat the bones because they will help remove the tartar. The meat itself won't help.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Are the wings supposed to be raw or cooked? I would think that would make a difference in the texture/brittleness of the bones.

vCash
    I also have a fussy cat. When we have to give him something he doesn't usually want/like, or perhaps even pills, chopping them up finely (or in this case, maybe breaking the bones up?) and mixing it in with his regular meat or his little hard cookies usually helps him digest the stuff we need him too.

I know how tricky this can be with cats. Best of luck!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    You'll rarely win in a test of wills with a cat.

There must be other ways to help with tartar, perhaps some hard crunchy treats?
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 05-08-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I have a few different kinds of treats to get rid of tartar. Pippin prefers some to others.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    You'll rarely win in a test of wills with a cat.

There must be other ways to help with tartar, perhaps some hard crunchy treats?
    True and true. My parents just brush their cats' teeth which the cats, of course hate. However, that's the only way the teeth will get cleaned.

When they tried switching one of the cat's food, the cat didn't eat for 24 hours before my parents finally caved. The cats will almost always prevail in a battle of wills.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I brush cat teeth. we have 4. you read that right, 4. the 15 y.o. cat had to have a number removed. so i now brush teeth.each cat has its own brush. you should see the look on the cat's face when they see the tooth brush coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Are the wings supposed to be raw or cooked? I would think that would make a difference in the texture/brittleness of the bones.
    The bones are meant to be uncooked. If a cat was in the wild that is what they would eat. I was always told never feed cooked bones to a cat because they splinter.

I think there had been a previous discussion on this forum about cat's teeth and how someone had to get their cat's teeth removed. My previous cat had pretty good teeth but this one looks like he has more problems. Probably doesn't help that he doesn't like letting me look at his mouth (well no cat does but this one really doesn't like it).

I was thinking about putting some of his regular food with the chicken wing to see if that works.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    you should see the look on the cat's face when they see the tooth brush coming.
    My dad just hides the tooth brush behind his back until the very last moment.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The bones are meant to be uncooked. If a cat was in the wild that is what they would eat. I was always told never feed cooked bones to a cat because they splinter.
    That's my understanding too, for dogs as well as cats. Odd that it is chicken wings as opposed to just chicken in general.

I was thinking about putting some of his regular food with the chicken wing to see if that works.
    You could supplement with the raw food BARF diet, a pre-packaged mix which has ground bones in it. It is expensive as an exclusive diet. But if you are only adding a bit to regular kibble or canned food, it shouldn't be too bad.

So far as I know BARF is sold by independent suppliers and you can find them by googling, but perhaps some pet stores sell them as well.

I got a few packages from someone whose dog wouldn't eat the mix and my dog just loved it.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Why chicken wings? They make treats especially to help remove tartar. Is there a reason the doctor wants you to try something so unorthodox?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Must be a thing aboiut Aussie cats AW. Mine wont eat them either and they have been told they need to for the same reasons as yours. We've tried banning them from television, even taking their X-box off them, they still won't eat their chicken wings (or necks). Chaos told me if our Aussie dollar is so strong we can pay to send him to the dentist for a cleaning, then he bought me in a rat.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Why chicken wings? They make treats especially to help remove tartar. Is there a reason the doctor wants you to try something so unorthodox?
    I housesat a cat in January who I feed chicken wings every couple of days. I can see why now. So probably not that unorthodox. But the vet probably wants to try a more natural option (and cheaper). However I will investigate the tartar removing treats too (maybe what Japanfan suggested).

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Must be a thing aboiut Aussie cats AW. Mine wont eat them either and they have been told they need to for the same reasons as yours. We've tried banning them from television, even taking their X-box off them, they still won't eat their chicken wings (or necks). Chaos told me if our Aussie dollar is so strong we can pay to send him to the dentist for a cleaning, then he bought me in a rat.
    Was it dead or alive?
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 05-09-2011 at 03:59 AM.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I brush cat teeth. we have 4. you read that right, 4. the 15 y.o. cat had to have a number removed. so i now brush teeth.each cat has its own brush. you should see the look on the cat's face when they see the tooth brush coming.
    Your emergency room medical bills must be astronomical!

no likey da teeth brushed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Your emergency room medical bills must be astronomical!

no likey da teeth brushed.

vCash
    actually I'm astounded that I haven't been clawed or bit. The only damage i've had is when i tried to use a toothbrush that was attached to a piece of rubber which fit over a fingertip. the action of the cat trying to chew while i used that toothbrush made lots of pin sticks in my finger. didn't use that one again.

vCash
    Mhhhh.
    Brushing Doudou's teeth. Well I'll consider that ... one day :
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    actually I'm astounded that I haven't been clawed or bit. The only damage i've had is when i tried to use a toothbrush that was attached to a piece of rubber which fit over a fingertip. the action of the cat trying to chew while i used that toothbrush made lots of pin sticks in my finger. didn't use that one again.
    That sounds like one of those lesbian finger condoms. How do I know this? I'll never tell.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast