Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
    vCash
    ^^ Thanks for posting. Armin's quad looks great -- hope it will prove to be as strong, steady and consistent within his programs under the pressure of competition. Does anyone know whether Armin has chosen music yet for the new season?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh's nice quad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244&sns=tw
    Thanks for posting! Armin debuted a new (I think) exhibition program over the weekend to "Your Song" sung by Ewan McGregor, with an assist from Placido Domingo, from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack - I posted a link in the Club & Benefit Shows thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...1&postcount=26

I'm thinking we should have/start an off-season news and updates thread for the U.S. men (specifically the "less famous ones" ) in GSD for tidbits re. new programs, practice videos like YukiNieve posted, summer competitions, etc.? What are people's thoughts?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Nice exhibition from Armin. Thanks for posting, Sylvia.

Odd that Armin used his Kill Bill costume, but removed yellow stripes from only one of his pants legs.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRcQ...2&feature=plcp
    Just found the CBC broadcast of Joshua Farris's FS from Junior Worlds. Great skate, interesting commentary. Tracy Wilson said he reminds her of Lysacek. So then I went back and watched some old videos of Evan and came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUazJS63vV8. Young Evan (18?) skating to Rachmaninoff at Nationals.

Very interesting indeed. Obviously the flexibility, extension, and strength in the spins is similar, as well as the long legs. Joshua is not quite as tall and is therefore not as ungainly as Evan at that age, which Dick Button seems to allude to in saying that Evan's movements are a bit flail-y; to me, Josh's movements are more finished and elegant. They also have the same nice, upright posture and similar jumping styles, though of course Joshua has better technique on his 3a. Then the music and choreo are similar, even the costumes and hair...makes me wonder if Damon Allen was intentionally trying to package Josh like a young Lysacek when he created this program? Or maybe (hopefully) it's just a coincidence. I really love Josh's skating and would prefer to see him grow into his own style rather than become a Lysacek-clone.

Anyways just thought it was interesting, it would certainly be exciting if Farris could have an Evan-like career. In my opinion, he really could, especially with the strength of his 3a and the fact that he's been working on the 4t for a while now and is only 17.

One thing I worry about though is if commentators and spectators will try and turn Joshua Farris and Jason Brown into a kind of Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir rivalry version 2.0. I hope not, as Josh and Jason seem to be good friends, but the similarities between Josh and Evan, and Jason and Johnny, are definitely there.

OT. The CBC version of Jason Brown's FS isn't on youtube, but I wonder if they compare him to Johnny Weir in it...if so I'm a little afraid!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Then the music and choreo are similar, even the costumes and hair...makes me wonder if Damon Allen was intentionally trying to package Josh like a young Lysacek when he created this program? Or maybe (hopefully) it's just a coincidence. I really love Josh's skating and would prefer to see him grow into his own style rather than become a Lysacek-clone.

Anyways just thought it was interesting, it would certainly be exciting if Farris could have an Evan-like career. In my opinion, he really could, especially with the strength of his 3a and the fact that he's been working on the 4t for a while now and is only 17.

One thing I worry about though is if commentators and spectators will try and turn Joshua Farris and Jason Brown into a kind of Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir rivalry version 2.0. I hope not, as Josh and Jason seem to be good friends, but the similarities between Josh and Evan, and Jason and Johnny, are definitely there.

OT. The CBC version of Jason Brown's FS isn't on youtube, but I wonder if they compare him to Johnny Weir in it...if so I'm a little afraid!
    THIS THIS EVERYTHING THIS.

Thanks for the video, I'm almost terrified to watch it now haha.

Josh has confirmed he's keeping Rachimanoff for this season, but will be getting a new short. I hope it's something fun, although I thought his Clair de Lune SP this year was just divine.

EDIT:

Oh my god. He didn't even get to the first jump before they compared him to Lysacek! EWWWWWWWW SHUT UP CBC!

And now the "looking-up-to-Chan" starts. Good lord, can you possibly talk about JOSH for one second without reference to anyone else?!

...I'm not sure they've actually said a single word about how Josh is SKATING yet. They keep talking about everyone else!

They're like "yapyapyapyapLysacekyapyapyapyapChanyapyapyapyapBu ttleyapyap" *Josh is being beautiful and elegant and jumps like a boss* "silence"

Video pauses to buffer right on Josh's Ina Bauer. Cue drooling. He has a very nice Bauer.

Oh FINALLY, just as Josh is finishing, there's some praise.

Unbelieveable. That was RIDICULOUS. Here is a fantastic young skater, absolutely brilliant, skating his heart out and skating well, and after yapping about other skaters for half the program you can find NOTHING to say about him for the rest of it? That's some of the worst commentary I've ever heard in my life.

I agree with you pinky...I don't know if I wanna watch the Jason one!
    Last edited by misskarne; 05-17-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: watched the scary video

vCash
    One thing I worry about though is if commentators and spectators will try and turn Joshua Farris and Jason Brown into a kind of Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir rivalry version 2.0.
    I think you need to be afraid of that only if Brown will learn a triple axel which is consistent. In case it does not happen this summer, Farris will be too much ahead for any rivalry to exist between those skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I think you need to be afraid of that only if Brown will learn a triple axel which is consistent. In case it does not happen this summer, Farris will be too much ahead for any rivalry to exist between those skaters.
    Video footage has suggested that Jason is very close. It could well be that with a summer of intensive work he will land it. They were very close to putting it in his programs this season, so he must be landing it occasionally. That's promising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    PJ Kwong predicted Jason would WIN Junior Worlds knowing he didn't have a 3a and USFS already clearly has a love affair with him judging from his PCS marks at nationals, so I agree that, internationally, without a 3a, Josh will be far ahead of Jason, but that doesn't mean the USFS or Canadian commentators won't try to make some kind of rivalry btwn the two of them anyways...

But yeah, it was a little annoying to watch Josh skate brilliantly and to have the announcers talk about Patrick the whole time... Plus they didn't even wait until Josh did a spin to say he was like Lysacek , and IMO, that's the biggest similarity between the two. While I would love Josh to have an Evan like CAREER, I don't think his skating is all that similar to Lysacek, and think he has the potential to go even further because he has stronger jump technique (particularly on the 3a), isn't as unusually tall for the sport, and is a bit more naturally artistic compared to Lysacek who really had to work at developing his artistry.

CBC commentary cracks me up sometimes. Like oh look, here's a skater, he's handsome and has brown hair and long legs and good posture....LYSACEK 2.0! Before he even skates.

Wishing Josh the best of luck in the upcoming season. I hope he can skate well at Nationals, get the marks he deserves (even though he skated well below his abilities at this year's nationals, I still think he was a bit hosed score wise, particularly in PCS), and go to Worlds. I think he's one of the best bets for a future "star" among the US men, no one else has been too impressive recently and one would expect Abbott to retire after Sochi, so there's a good window of opportunity right now.

Hopefully Damon isn't trying to turn Josh into Evan, I tend to think he isn't and it's just a weird coincidence....Damon seems to be very nurturing to Josh, which is good. Rachmaninoff suits his skating style, so I hope that was why they picked it. I'd be more worried if Farris were with Frank, because we see Frank try to turn Denis Ten, who is a totally different kind of skater than Lysacek, into a mini-Lysacek...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FYI, I've already started a new U.S. Men's thread for 2012-13 off-season news and updates in GSD since this thread is nearing 1,000 posts. I will compile and share any program / music / choreographer / summer training info as well as upcoming show and competition news in there.

I thought this blog link could go in this thread since it's older news - Douglas Razzano (5th at Nationals) recaps his 2012-12 season (Feb. 24, 2012): http://www.figureskatersonline.com/d...zano/blog.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Plus they didn't even wait until Josh did a spin to say he was like Lysacek , and IMO, that's the biggest similarity between the two. While I would love Josh to have an Evan like CAREER, I don't think his skating is all that similar to Lysacek, and think he has the potential to go even further because he has stronger jump technique (particularly on the 3a), isn't as unusually tall for the sport, and is a bit more naturally artistic compared to Lysacek who really had to work at developing his artistry. CBC commentary cracks me up sometimes. Like oh look, here's a skater, he's handsome and has brown hair and long legs and good posture....LYSACEK 2.0! Before he even skates.
    Since the CBC commentator compared Josh to Lysacek at the beginning of the program, it is apparent that the commentator was stating her overal impression of Josh's skating based on his prior performances.

I don't understand why you seem so offended that the commentator compared Josh to Lysacek. I am sure that Josh would consider it a compliment to be compared to another skater that was Olympic Champion, World Champion, 2 x US Champion, Grand Prix Final Champion, and Four Continents Champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I don't understand why you seem so offended that the commentator compared Josh to Lysacek. I am sure that Josh would consider it a compliment to be compared to another skater that was Olympic Champion, World Champion, 2 x US Champion, Grand Prix Final Champion, and Four Continents Champion.
    ...and who flails around on the ice ungracefully at the best of times, has a triple Axel that more closely resembles a triple sal, has no personality on or off the ice except what the Federation tells him, when he DOES display personality it's generally a douchey one...

Great compliment.

My objection is more that: jeezus, can't they let the kid fly or fall on his OWN MERIT? Does it always have to be a comparison? I HATE comparisons. I hate them with a passion. Joshua is Joshua. Not Evan. Jason is Jason. Not Johnny. Artur is Artur. Not Evgeni. And so on.

And seriously, you've missed the major point: only once, through the WHOLE PROGRAM, did they talk about JOSHUA'S skating. The entire rest of the time they were babbling about everyone's else's skating. If they couldn't find enough to talk about with Joshua's skating, then what the hell are they doing in that booth? Joshua has enough information out there that they could have talked about HIM. If they must compare him to Lysacek, whatever. Do it ONCE. Don't spend HALF THE PROGRAM talking about other skaters - to the point where they were talking about BUTTLE with no direct reference to Joshua whatsoever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    ...and who flails around on the ice ungracefully at the best of times, has a triple Axel that more closely resembles a triple sal, has no personality on or off the ice except what the Federation tells him, when he DOES display personality it's generally a douchey one...

Great compliment.
    Why the personal attack on Lysacek? The commentators were comparing Joshua's skating to Lysacek's skating. They were not comparing their personalities. If you were not so blinded by your dislike for Lysacek, you would see that they were complementing Joshua's skating. Given the success that Lysacek had during his competitive career, it is obvious that the judges had a favorable opinion of Lysacek's skating skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

My objection is more that: jeezus, can't they let the kid fly or fall on his OWN MERIT? Does it always have to be a comparison? I HATE comparisons. I hate them with a passion. Joshua is Joshua. Not Evan. Jason is Jason. Not Johnny. Artur is Artur. Not Evgeni. And so on.

And seriously, you've missed the major point: only once, through the WHOLE PROGRAM, did they talk about JOSHUA'S skating. The entire rest of the time they were babbling about everyone's else's skating. If they couldn't find enough to talk about with Joshua's skating, then what the hell are they doing in that booth? Joshua has enough information out there that they could have talked about HIM. If they must compare him to Lysacek, whatever. Do it ONCE. Don't spend HALF THE PROGRAM talking about other skaters - to the point where they were talking about BUTTLE with no direct reference to Joshua whatsoever!
    This. I actually like Lysacek and admire his work ethic and accomplishments, but this isn't the first time, actually, all commentators and especially the CBC ones, have a habit of talking about other skaters when a skater is skating. I just think it's kind of rude and defeats the purpose. This is why I actually liked Johnny Weir's commentary, he actually talked about the SKATERS themselves and their own SKATING. CBC tries to get a Canadian skater into the commentary at whatever cost, usually it's Chan or Buttle, but even other skaters who haven't achieved as much get thrown in there. When Grant Hochstein was competing on the GP, I remember PJ or Tracy being like, he's JUST LIKE SHAWN SAWYER, anyways no, they look alike and are both flexible, that is all, please appreciate Grant's skating for what it is. During Han Yan's FS they talk about Liam Firus for the first minute and then about Nan Song...um this kid is the JW Champ and they mention his skating for about 1 minute of the 5 he's on the air for. Sheesh. It just gets irritating is all.

vCash
    They weren't even really talking about Farris positively alot. They were all he trains with Chan and Buttle and he can watch them and if he is like them he will be good! Then he skates almost the entire program with no comments on his skating at all! They needed more comment on Farris and not Farris as clone of others.

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849