Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I am very happy for her and wish her well. However I'm not happy with how her lack of involvement with skating any longer leaves the sport high and dry. We've been used to our Peggy and Dorothy and Kristi types continuing to carry the torch for the sport as they got older. Now we have none of our recent ladies Olympic champions and Kwan though not Olympic champion very much a standard-bearer carrying the torch here. I can't help but think we might still have some professional skating here if the Kween had continued to skate professionally.
    Well first of all, just because it isn't reported in the article, does't mean she won't have anything involved with skating anymore. I really doubt she will ever leave it all behind. Once a skater, always a skater.

It is only natural to want to venture into other areas having learnt all she had at grad school. Life is about stepping stones; be best at what you can be at the right time with the right opportunity. And may be she can make bigger impact elsewhere beside just skating.

Michelle can have it all!!

Secondly, wowww Michelle was in London!! Wonder what's her impression of our beautiful city.
    Last edited by os168; 06-04-2011 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Wow, she's moving to DC the same time I am! Wonder if she needs a roommate...

vCash
    Nice article. We share the love of International Affairs. DC is a great place to be for that. I came 10 years ago for grad school and never looked back. If she has not landed a cool job yet (in addition to her current duties at State), she will!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Wow, she's moving to DC the same time I am! Wonder if she needs a roommate...
    I'm sure MK will have no problem affording the price of housing in the D.C. area for a single gal

I wonder which swanky area of D.C. will she be staying at?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I certainly don't think Kwan owes anything to the world of skating. Don't you think she'd done enough???

I think she could do much good as a diplomat and a representative of our country to China (which is what I think she is aiming at) having demonstrated impressive diplomatic skills all her publicized life.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I am very happy for her and wish her well. However I'm not happy with how her lack of involvement with skating any longer leaves the sport high and dry. We've been used to our Peggy and Dorothy and Kristi types continuing to carry the torch for the sport as they got older. Now we have none of our recent ladies Olympic champions and Kwan though not Olympic champion very much a standard-bearer carrying the torch here. I can't help but think we might still have some professional skating here if the Kween had continued to skate professionally. Oh well. As a skating fan I'm kind of bummed. Felt the same way about Janet Lynn but others stayed active to make up for her lack of involvement. But it is her life and of course she should do what she wants...and as I said I wish her the best.

BTW I work for the federal government in a fairly high position and I wish I was a skating star. Guess the grass often looks greener
    Michele never did particularly like show skating. She liked to compete which is very different. She did shows because they paid well. While I'd be thrilled if she still did, I really don't expect her to do so except on very rare occasions.

Kwan for President in 2020!
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Michelle has always been a great representative for her sport and country as a skater, and I'm sure she'll continue to be a great representative in this stage of her life as well. I'm happy for her that she has found something that fills her life with passion and purpose, and will let her put her talents to good use.

Michelle looked up to some wonderful role models and I'm sure she's a great role model for the current generation of skaters and a nice example of making the most of your life on and off the ice.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Michelle's time on the National team was significantly longer than ... any previous great that's been mentioned, except maybe Dick Button.

The body can only do so much.

Yamaguichi was on the Senior National Ladies team for 4 seasons, then skated with SOI for 10 years.

Kwan was on the senior ladies national team for 12 seasons. (DAYUM!)
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I am very happy for her and wish her well. However I'm not happy with how her lack of involvement with skating any longer leaves the sport high and dry. We've been used to our Peggy and Dorothy and Kristi types continuing to carry the torch for the sport as they got older. Now we have none of our recent ladies Olympic champions and Kwan though not Olympic champion very much a standard-bearer carrying the torch here. I can't help but think we might still have some professional skating here if the Kween had continued to skate professionally. Oh well. As a skating fan I'm kind of bummed. Felt the same way about Janet Lynn but others stayed active to make up for her lack of involvement. But it is her life and of course she should do what she wants...and as I said I wish her the best.

BTW I work for the federal government in a fairly high position and I wish I was a skating star. Guess the grass often looks greener
    People move on. It is ridiculous to expect otherwise

vCash
    it also misstates her age when she won her 1st worlds,
    she won it by age 15 ,not 16.
    but other than that --nice article

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Michelle's time on the National team was significantly longer than ... any previous great that's been mentioned, except maybe Dick Button.

The body can only do so much.

Yamaguichi was on the Senior National Ladies team for 4 seasons, then skated with SOI for 10 years.

Kwan was on the senior ladies national team for 12 seasons. (DAYUM!)
    Very true. Not only is Kwan almost 31, but as Coco said, she skated one the senior world level in the eligible ranks for 12 years. To me, a decade is quite a long time being a top contender and serving as a face for the sport.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-05-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Way to go Michelle. I wish her all the best in her promising "new chapter" in her story.

vCash
    In connection with the Foreign Service Exam, I see that one of the five "career paths" that you can declare is Public Diplomacy Officers.

Public Diplomacy Officers explain American values and policies and may benefit from a strong knowledge of local government and customsexplain American values and policies and may benefit from a strong knowledge of local government and customs.

vCash
    I was sad to see her go when she left competitive skating, but I'm so happy she is having such a positive impact in the world and is really going for it with something new. She's a rarity in this world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12