Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

New Michelle Article

vCash
    When is graduation day for Michelle? I'll bet she's up to her eyeballs in papers and reports and exams right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    When is graduation day for Michelle? I'll bet she's up to her eyeballs in papers and reports and exams right now.
    May 21st and 22nd, according to the university's website.
    http://fletcher.tufts.edu/commenceme.../default.shtml

vCash
    I love that she is into IR like I am! A lot of my friends did the Fletcher route. It's a great school. I'm happy she loves my own town- DC! Of course, if we end up in the same circle somewhere, someday I will need to control my inner-fangirl.

vCash
    Very nice, well-written article. One mistake I noticed: Kwan's brother is older and taller than her, so I wouldn't describe him as her "little brother."

Awwww, Kwan:

"By being appointed a diplomatic envoy [plus] my involvement with the Council and Special Olympics, I’ve been able to give back. I want to be a good citizen, a great athlete, a great student, a great sister and a great daughter. Those are things I hope for in my life—and to make a difference in people’s lives through public service. I want to be able to say I’ve made a difference.”

Michelle has already made a huge difference in the lives of so many people, as a figure skater. Now, I suppose she's eager to do the same in her new career, yet still with her work as an envoy, I'm certain she's already done that as well. And she's already an exceptional citizen, a great athlete, student, sister, daughter, and aunt too! I guess the thing she exemplifies is, Do not rest on your laurels and do not believe all the accolades and superlatives that come your way.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-08-2011 at 04:17 AM.

vCash
    I really enjoy hearing about her new endeavours and where she is heading in her life. So good that she has found focus outside of skating.

President Kwan anyone?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I really enjoy hearing about her new endeavours and where she is heading in her life. So good that she has found focus outside of skating.

President Kwan anyone?
    Hard to believe that she has only a little over 4 years to be eligible for that as well.

Good story on a remarkable young woman.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Very nice, well-written article. One mistake I noticed: Kwan's brother is older and taller than her, so I wouldn't describe him as her "little brother."

Awwww, Kwan:

"By being appointed a diplomatic envoy [plus] my involvement with the Council and Special Olympics, I’ve been able to give back. I want to be a good citizen, a great athlete, a great student, a great sister and a great daughter. Those are things I hope for in my life—and to make a difference in people’s lives through public service. I want to be able to say I’ve made a difference.”

Michelle has already made a huge difference in the lives of so many people, as a figure skater. Now, I suppose she's eager to do the same in her new career, yet still with her work as an envoy, I'm certain she's already done that as well. And she's already an exceptional citizen, a great athlete, student, sister, daughter, and aunt too! I guess the thing she exemplifies is, Do not rest on your laurels and do not believe all the accolades and superlatives that come your way.
    ^^This.

vCash
    Now I can say "Howdie, neighbor!" to the Kween! I guess that we'll all be eating at Circa Cafe in Dupont Circle soon, eh? She also mentions Russia House...a great 'pick-up place' lounge and not so much a restaurant. I bet that we can spot her at the famous Whole Foods of P Street, between 15th & 14th Sts, the fave grocery shop of the well-heeled YUPPIES who live in Dupont Circle area.

Question: Has Michele taken and passed the Foreign Service Exam to be a career diplomat? Or is she planning to go from 'special appointment' to 'special appointment' for the rest of her life? I would think not. Most folks who come to this town to do diplomacy do it through the Foreign Service Exam or similar tough exams required to have true careers in the international agencies. Michele had the brain to go to Fletcher so I am guessing that she'll take the test -- it often takes several tries -- and opt for a true diplomatic career path, which commands the greatest respect among Foggy Bottom regulars.

p.s. also posted this in the other thread on this subject, in Great Skate Debate.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Shouldn't this thread be merged with the one on the same topic (Michelle Kwan Woman in Washington) in Great Skate Debate?

vCash
    yes!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Happy graduation day to the Kween.

vCash
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...5633821.column

New interview with Michelle. Good luck to her in Washington!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So any word on where she is going to be working? Why the secrecy? I thought she is moving to DC, not Langley, Virginia.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Kudos to the Kween..She is an amazing woman!

vCash
    I'm looking forward to whatever she chooses - wherever it leads.

vCash
    I am very happy for her and wish her well. However I'm not happy with how her lack of involvement with skating any longer leaves the sport high and dry. We've been used to our Peggy and Dorothy and Kristi types continuing to carry the torch for the sport as they got older. Now we have none of our recent ladies Olympic champions and Kwan though not Olympic champion very much a standard-bearer carrying the torch here. I can't help but think we might still have some professional skating here if the Kween had continued to skate professionally. Oh well. As a skating fan I'm kind of bummed. Felt the same way about Janet Lynn but others stayed active to make up for her lack of involvement. But it is her life and of course she should do what she wants...and as I said I wish her the best.

BTW I work for the federal government in a fairly high position and I wish I was a skating star. Guess the grass often looks greener

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    So any word on where she is going to be working? Why the secrecy? I thought she is moving to DC, not Langley, Virginia.
    No word, but it didn't seem all that clear from the article that Kwan had found a job already. She is involved in her State Dept. duties, and perhaps hopes to pursue something related, but hasn't landed anything yet. It seems like a smart move to DC considering Kwan's education and vocational interests.

Congratulations to Michelle Kwan on another stunning achievement!

O-

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I asked if she could ever see herself making those decisions as a politician some day, and she answered "yes'' without hesitation.

"So when is your first run for office?''

"Maybe that's what I'll do this summer,'' she added with a laugh.
    I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I am very happy for her and wish her well. However I'm not happy with how her lack of involvement with skating any longer leaves the sport high and dry. We've been used to our Peggy and Dorothy and Kristi types continuing to carry the torch for the sport as they got older. Now we have none of our recent ladies Olympic champions and Kwan though not Olympic champion very much a standard-bearer carrying the torch here. I can't help but think we might still have some professional skating here if the Kween had continued to skate professionally. Oh well. As a skating fan I'm kind of bummed. Felt the same way about Janet Lynn but others stayed active to make up for her lack of involvement. But it is her life and of course she should do what she wants...and as I said I wish her the best.
    The nerve of MK having a life outside of skating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast