Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Just curious how many of you folks defending the railroading of Vidmar voted for Obama as president.
    He wasn't railroaded so your question is invalid. (Actually even if he was railroaded, you are employing a logical fallacy so it's still an invalid question and I'm not going to rise to the bait.)

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    It feels like some of you guys not only want us to be like okay yes gay marriage should be allowed, but also to literally change our religions teachings.
    And yet no one has said anything remotely like this. Where are the calls to re-write the Bible or teach another book in church? I don't see it.

What I think is that a certain segment of the population is so used to be in the majority and to having their views be the mainstream views that, now that they aren't any more, they feel threatened to the point that any disagreement with those views is seen as something much more dramatic than it really is.

Tolerance isn't agreeing with everything everyone does.
    Which is why the argument towards those saying that Vidmar is intolerant that "you'll never find someone whose views you agree with 100%" is ridiculous. We're saying we want someone who is tolerant of those who he disagrees with and Vidmar isn't it.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Which is why in some states I'm allowed to marry my First Cousin, and some states, I am not.
    Correct, but the majority of states that refuse to perform cousin marriages will still recognize cousin marriages performed in other states. Can't get married to your cousin in your home state? Elope in a neighboring one. The Mormons avidly supported the Defense of Marriage Act of 1996, which allows states to not recognize gay marriages performed in other states. The laws are completely different for gay marriage versus cousin marriage.

vCash
    I think "marriage" that everyone is fighting for should be called civil unions for everyone. But I think the term wife and Husband should be used stilled. Let the traditionalist and religious have "marriage" but take away it's importance by taking away it's legality to better treatment. I think the people against "gay marriage" won't be so against it when the states don't accept church conducted marriage ceremonies as legal.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wow. I wish this was like Facebook where you could "Like" someone's post. Allen, Theatregirl, MacMadame, I give you "like"s.

I deal with this issue everyday. Prop8 wasn't even preemptive. It basically was put on the ballot to actively strip the already gained rights of GLB who were or wanted to become married. It was hateful. Gay marriage wasn't hurting CA. Gays weren't harming anyone. And then you get a referendum to take away their marriage rights? Yeah, Vidmar was outspoken in his agenda to take away CA gays' rights to marriage. I say he was using his first amendment rights and that is perfectly nice, but that is not the spirit of the Olympics anymore. Yeah, in the history of the Olympics there was chauvinism, racism, etc. But for the most part, it is beyond that now. And I know there are counter-examples, it's not like the Aboriginals in AUS get a fair shake even now. But this is about Vidmar. Anyone who goes public to restrict civil rights should not be allowed a leadership position. This is not fascism. Or "bullying". This is about creating a better world. And those who hold on to their religion to harm and sometimes bankrupt "those others" need to have no leadership positions. I do not necessarily like Hersh's columns, but I'm glad if his column made a difference to get Vidmar booted, then I'll maybe respect Hersh more.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456