Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I love it! The guy who was supposed to ride Uncle Mo ended up winning on Animal Kingdom. What a great win for him and boy did he come out of nowhere!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ooo what was that from the owner dissing previous trainers?

hope that Arch Arch Arch is ok
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Well that was fun ( apart from Arch Arch Arch having to go into the ambulance- hope he's OK). Beautiful finish by Animal Kingdom.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Can nobody sing the National anthem just straight any more or does every wo oooo rrr ddd have to be stttt rrreeeet chhhhhed into 10 syl laaaaaa bles.
    Amen

vCash
    for Graham Motion and his Animal Kingdom. Graham is one of the most honest trainers in the business, has never had a horse with a positive drug test post race and is just a gentleman beyond gentlemen. And good for Johnny V, first Kentucky Derby win, which is amazing as he is Pletcher's go to jock.

vCash
    Well, looks like ArchArchArch and Battle of Hastings suffered fractured bones. Both could be put down by the end of the night, if they have been already. Disgusting. I hate horse racing. Unbelievably cruel. A lot of those horses today weren't even 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Disgusting. I hate horse racing. Unbelievably cruel. A lot of those horses today weren't even 3.
    It is very unfortunate and sad when horses injure themselves. I understand your anger.
    btw...only 1 of the horses was under 3 yrs old.

Here's the article and video of the 2011 Kentucky Derby.

2011 Kentucky Derby

vCash
    Well, looks like ArchArchArch and Battle of Hastings suffered fractured bones. Both could be put down by the end of the night, if they have been already. Disgusting. I hate horse racing. Unbelievably cruel. A lot of those horses today weren't even 3.
    Reports during the broadcast, and so far on the Net suggest ArchArchArch's injury is not life-threatening. I hope that's still the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatfoote View Post
    Reports during the broadcast, and so far on the Net suggest ArchArchArch's injury is not life-threatening. I hope that's still the case.
    Arch3 has a lateral condylar fracture that will require surgery but is not life threatening.

vCash
    edited

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    From skipaway's posted article:

“Archarcharch is fine,” said Dr. Larry Bramlage after the race. “He finished the race and didn’t show any distress until he actually finished his running. He’ll require surgery but it’s not an emergency situation. He’ll probably spend the night in his stall. It will depend on what’s best for him. He’ll require screws to be placed in the ankle. It’s something we do all the time. It’s not a life-threatening injury.”
    After this he'll probably spend the rest of his life at stud.

vCash
    http://tucsoncitizen.com/tucson-tail...cing-injuries/

I encourage everyone to read this short article on the cruelty these horses endure when they are no longer profitable, even the finest ones. This piece points out that Ferdinand, the 1986 Derby winner who won almost $4 million in his career, died in a foreign slaughterhouse. All too common, unfortunately.

vCash
    I have an extremely limited knowledge of horse racing; I started watching the main races with some degree of interest after I read Jane Smiley's "Horse Heaven" about 6 years ago. Beautiful, compex book about horse racing, I heartily recommend. From what I understand she has an in- depth knowledge of horses and horse-racing, and tried to present all sides of the business- the beautiful and the ugly.
    Last edited by dinakt; 05-08-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I fell in love with horses when I was a kid, reading the Black Stallion books. My watching racing on tv (even though I've only been to one race in person, and that was harness) comes from that.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I have an extremely limited knowledge of horse racing; I started watching the main races with some degree of interest after I read Jane Smiley's "A Horse Heaven" about 6 years ago. Beautiful, compex book about horse racing, I heartily recommend. From what I understand she has an in- depth knowledge of horses and horse-racing, and tried to present all sides of the business- the beautiful and the ugly.
    Horse Heaven is a GREAT novel!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

vCash
    I'm glad to hear Arch3 will be okay, I hope Comma to the Top will be as well. I've haven't read anything about an injury to Battle of Hastings.

Congrats to Velasquez for his first Derby Win, after having his horses scratched 3 years in a row and being a last minute replacement. {{{Robby Albarado}}} This must break his heart.

No Johnny Weir this year. But Sarah Hughes came to the BB party, looking mighty fab.

Sarah Hughes 1

Sarah Hughes 2

Sarah Hughes 3

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Nice shoes, Sarah. My interest in the derby is limited to the hats. Love that one.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast