Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash

2011 Kentucky Derby

Tomorrow is Derby Day and no thread yet?

perhaps because this year's race has less than the usual excitement about it
    Uncle Mo latest scratched from Derby
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Just finished watching the Oaks...Plum Pretty over St. John's River by a neck. Was going to start the Derby thread...glad you did.
    Here's the article with video of the KO...

Kentucky Oaks 2011

Rosie Napravinik, first female jockey with mounts in both races took 2nd and showed she really is the real deal. After Edgar Prado, (who doesn't have a mount in the Derby again this year...what is wrong with those owners and trainers who don't use him?), Rosie is beginning to be a favorite of mine.

Derby is too hard to call, I have about 7 that I like. Arch3 with Johnny Court is my sentimental favorite....I love Johnny Court and at 50 years old, this is his first derby but at a terrible post position (1) it'll be hard.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Last year at this time we (as in my family) talked about going to the Derby this year. Guess that didn't happen.

So, who are the favorites?

vCash
    HATS! MORE HATS! EVEN MORE HATS!

No Princess Beatrice knock-offs!

The plethora of pink is because Oaks Days is also breast cancer awareness day.

Uncle Mo's absence reduced the already less-than-dazzling field to 19 horses, with Dialed In as the 4-1 favorite for two time-winning trainer Nick Zito.

Already lost in one of the flukiest Triple Crown seasons in memory were Premier Pegasus, The Factor, Jaycito, To Honor and Serve and Toby's Corner, among others.
    Arkansas Derby winner Archarcharch posted the highest speed figure in the major Derby preps, but will have a difficult time duplicating that coming out of the troublesome No. 1 post on the inside rail.

The uncertainty hovering over the race dovetails with a messy run-up that saw a slew of contenders sidelined by injuries and poor performances.

"There's so much parity," said Baffert, a three-time winner who will saddle Midnight Interlude, who will try to buck history to become the first horse since Apollo in 1882 to win without having raced as 2-year-old.

"When you have a lot of equal horses and there's no standout, everybody thinks, 'Well, maybe it's not that tough of a field,' but I think it's a tough field," he said.
    http://www.whas11.com/sports/univers...121409898.html
    Last edited by pollyanna; 05-07-2011 at 04:05 AM.

vCash
    Earlier this week, jockey Robby Albarado was injured when, during the parade to post, Albarado's horse bucked and the jockey fell onto the track. His horse got excited and kicked back, hitting Albarado in the face. Albarado sat on the track, his face covered in blood, until ambulances arrived. He was taken away by stretcher to the hospital. He suffered a laceration over his eyebrow and on his forehead, as well as a broken nose.

Jockey Robby Albarado kicked in the face by horse, rushed to hospital

Due to this injury, Albarado won't be able race Animal Kingdom in the Derby. Luckily for Animal Kingdom, the scratch of Uncle Mo freed up jockey John Velazquez.

The scratch of Uncle Mo on Friday morning marked the third straight year Velazquez lost a major Derby contender less than a week before the race.
    Velazquez lands another Kentucky Derby ride
    Last edited by pollyanna; 05-07-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Pants On Fire
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Pants On Fire
    Isn't that a great name? He's a big local favorite because of it.

All the great Derby parties are tonight. The most famous is the Barnstable-Brown gala, and yes, Johnny Weir will be attending again this year.

For more than two decades, some of the brightest stars from the worlds of film, television, music, fashion and sports have celebrated the night before the “Run for the Roses” at Louisville’s quintessential Derby Eve party – the Barnstable Brown Party.

Truly a family affair, the Barnstable Brown gala is co-hosted by twin sisters – and famed Doublemint twins (about a million years ago)– Patricia (“Tricia”) Barnstable Brown and Priscilla (“Cyb”) Barnstable, their mother, Wilma (“Willie”) Barnstable, and Tricia’s son, Chris Brown. The black-tie gala raises money for programs supporting diabetes research, treatment and education at the sisters’ alma mater, the University of Kentucky. Diabetes claimed the life of Tricia’s husband, Dr. David Brown, and the glamorous Derby Eve event is still held at the posh home Tricia and her late husband shared in Louisville’s beloved Highlands neighborhood.
    http://www.kentuckyderby.com/content/parties-purpose

Some of the 2011 Barnstable-Brown celebrity guests

Kate Gosselin?

vCash
    Updated Kentucky Derby odds

Okay, so what else do you want to know?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have to cheer on any horse named Comma To the Top. Plus they have some of the worst odds and I love me an underdog.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Hope no one has to be put down on the track this year! Don't know about you guys, but I find that to be a real bummer!

vCash
    A death on the track is horrible. Even when you're there on a weekday with all the hard-bitten rail birds, a hush comes over the place.

For being kicked in the head by a horse, Albarado is pretty fortunate.

I haven't followed racing at all this year and can't believe the Derby is upon us already. Clearly I am working too much!

vCash
    Comma to the Top is a "friend" of Zenyatta, I believe, or at least he is a fan of hers, LOL. So I will probably root for him. Or maybe Pants on Fire, who's gotten some good press recently, I think.

I have my DVR all set since I'll be out during the actual race. I nearly forgot about it, but I was at the track this morning making my rounds for CANTER, checking to see if any trainers needed to list horses for sale, and people were talking about the Derby. I took one listing (the first one I've done by myself since I'm a relatively new volunteer) of a pretty filly. Hopefully she'll find a new home.

vCash
    OT but: Wheeeeee!!!! Rachel Alexandra's foal will be a colt. Very cute update on NBC. She's due in Feb.

vCash
    Have to root for Pants on Fire. Girl (jockey) Power!!

ETA: they should have blocked the fashion reporter better - her fascinator totally covers her face when she turns to the supermodel I've never heard of or seen before.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I've missed watching the Derby the last few years but I'm watching it this afternoon. It's pretty fun to watch the pre-race stuff and see who all is attending this year. One of my fave actresses, Kate Walsh, is attending for the first time and I honestly can't wait to see what she decided to wear. Her twitter comments have been pretty funny lately about deciding her wardrobe, LOL

They replayed what I called the "wife race" from last season with the two horses that had similar names and came in first and second and I cracked up all over again.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Can nobody sing the National anthem just straight any more or does every wo oooo rrr ddd have to be stttt rrreeeet chhhhhed into 10 syl laaaaaa bles.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ETA: they should have blocked the fashion reporter better - her fascinator totally covers her face when she turns to the supermodel I've never heard of or seen before.
    Who did you not hear of before? Maria Menounos or Niki Taylor?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Maria Menounos

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Aww, some of these stories are so heartwarming. I'm such a sucker for a great story and I love that this trainer and his jockey, and son in law, Jon Court are finally going to make their Derby debuts.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    I know...I end up desperately wanting about half the field to win

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast