vCash

World Standings Updated: 2008/2009 Data Removed

vCash
    I am curious why they don't take out the pair/dance teams that have officially annouced the end of their partnership. Wouldn't that change the standings considerably as far as GP assignments go?

vCash
    As I understand it, the individual federations are responsible for submitting the names of their officially split and/or retired pairs and dance teams (and retired singles skaters) to the ISU, but I'm not sure when the deadline is this year.

Here's the link to the 2011-12 Grand Prix Pre-announcement thread in GSD.

vCash
    Takahashi #1!

vCash
    I wish the ISU would develop two world rankings: one on money earned at ISU competitions, and the other that would replace the current one that would more reasonably reflect reality, with a much heavier weighting of Word Championship and Olympic results, increased weighting of 4CC/Euros, and much less weighting on GP and Senior B events. The current rankings are a rather poor reflection of who would be likely to prevail in any pairwise matching. Really poor.

vCash
    I agree but I think they should have personal best scores for the last couple of seasons count for half the ranking. Kemp/King's season's bests have been around #30 for the last several years yet by the ISU's wacky system they're in the top 13 in the world simply because they get a free trip to Europeans and Worlds every year. Same thing with Hausch/Wende, ranked 8th in the World although their top scores have been around 18-30 for the last several years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    The current rankings are a rather poor reflection of who would be likely to prevail in any pairwise matching. Really poor.
    Because that's not what it's for.

I guess I'm lost as to why you feel we need that. The top 10 from Moscow will probably be at next year's worlds battleing for the podium, barring any retirements or injuries, etc.. but no ranking list would reflect any of that anyway, so...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    The top 10 from Moscow will probably be at next year's worlds battleing for the podium, barring any retirements or injuries, etc.. but no ranking list would reflect any of that anyway, so...
    Here is the top 10 from 2010 worlds

1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG
    2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
    3 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV

4 Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV
    5 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG
    6 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON
    7 Caydee DENNEY / Jeremy BARRETT
    8 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV
    9 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG
    10 Anabelle LANGLOIS / Cody HAY

5 aren't pairs anymore, the top 4 stayed the same for this year (replace Maria with Tatiana), B/L moved up because those team were not in their way this year and E/L are still hanging around.

I'm sure there will be just as much movement from 2011-2012. One team was already over a week after worlds was done.

I can see how people feel the rankings are not fair, but to make is totally fair for every skater is next to impossible.

vCash
    But what's the purpose of a World Ranking List that in no way reflects what people would reasonably consider to be "real" world rankings -- nro's examples of Hausch/Wende and Kemp/King are spot-on. I like the idea of having about a third the current season's points based on season's best rankings -- but only at GP, Euros and 4CC -- about half on Worlds results/Olympic results (one only for any given skater/team), and the last bit allocated between a skater/team's best results point-wise at Senior B events. Doing well at the Lower Slobovia Senior B with not very good scores should not push someone ahead of skaters who've consistently delivered higher scoring programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pairsis View Post
    I am curious why they don't take out the pair/dance teams that have officially annouced the end of their partnership. Wouldn't that change the standings considerably as far as GP assignments go?
    Since Faiella/Scali have now announced their "un-retirement" it is probably a good idea just to let skaters age off of the list rather than removing them. Also, I am sure it's fun for the retired skaters to see how high they still sit even though they are not longer padding their points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    As I understand it, the individual federations are responsible for submitting the names of their officially split and/or retired pairs and dance teams (and retired singles skaters) to the ISU, but I'm not sure when the deadline is this year.
    The deadline is June 3rd.