17 27.87%
  • Medal at Worlds only

23 37.70%
  • no Medal at Olympics or Worlds is possible for her

6 9.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What can Suzuki achieve in final season

My favorite current skater is Akiko Suzuki. I just love her but like my all time favorite Maria Butyrskaya she is hampered by a combination of lack of political support from her federation who favor numerous others and one other imparticular, lack of judging lurve, lack of nerve and consistency at times, and the stigma and mountain climb of hitting your prime as an older skater vs much younger already established ones. Can she win the Olympics and Wolrds in her final amateur season. Can she atleast medal at the Olympics and win or medal at Worlds with less people. What is realistic for her.

The best thing about her skating is how musical it is. She is the most musical skater since Janet Lynn. However judges dont reward her for that even in the interpretation and performance scores which is sad.

vCash
    This poll is for is what she "could" do, not neccessarily predicting what she will. Just what she has a bit of hope or more of doing.

vCash
    She will have to put it all on the line and succeed while others will have to make mistakes. If that happens, the sky is the limit with the exception of OGM. Because let's face it, she isn't a big threat to Kim who has shown she is wildly consistent. I think Caro or Mao will hit a peak there aswell....either that or they will bomb! Therefore silver is not out of the realm of possibility.

vCash
    The one thing she cant possibly do is beat Kim, since Kim would have to make many major mistakes to potentially lose to Suzuki at her best, and Kim is too consistent to make that many mistakes. Only those who at their best have a 2 mistake or less margin to Kim, who happen to luck out to peak on a day the super consistent Kim makes a couple mistakes have beaten her since 2007, and those people are Kostner, Asada, and Ando, not Suzuki. Anything else is possible (thus I guess an Olympic medal that isnt Gold, and a World Gold if Kim no shows) but alot would have to come together to make it happen.

vCash
    Kim would not compete in 2014 WC, then, Suzuki may have possiblity to win the gold medal in her country in 2014 WC. However, as we see in nhk trophy, Japan Federation seem to have least favor in suzuki among japan's skaters. Even if she have really great skate, I doubt she will be able to get the WC title.
    Last edited by karlon; 05-27-2013 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    I put medal at Worlds only, but after I clicked it I realized I should have put medal at Olympics and worlds but not gold. She will not be able to beat Kim but may be able to beat Asada or Kostner if they have off days. At Words, Kim etc. may not compete so she'll have an even better chance there.

vCash
    I would think she could medal at olympics and possibly gold at worlds. But after she placed 2nd at NHK who knows what could happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I put medal at Worlds only, but after I clicked it I realized I should have put medal at Olympics and worlds but not gold. She will not be able to beat Kim but may be able to beat Asada or Kostner if they have off days. At Words, Kim etc. may not compete so she'll have an even better chance there.
    Why couldn't Kim also have an off day? She only skated about twice last year. I do not see why people don't think about the real chance of the unexpected. Furthermore, on a good day she is still beatable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Furthermore, on a good day she is still beatable.
    Not by Suzuki she isnt.

vCash
    when kim has not clean program, and makes similar mistakes with her competitiors, kim is not unbeatable. but the important thing is, she usually do not make that.
    Last edited by karlon; 05-27-2013 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    Medals at the Olympics or Worlds isn't out of the question, Worlds especially. Highly doubt it would be gold though, it would mean Yuna, Mao, and Caro would ALL have to falter while Suzuki skates well not to mention she'd also have to hold off the likes of Wagner, Korpi, and the group of younger girls as well, in the case one or more of them perform stellarly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    when kim has not clean program, and makes similar mistakes with her competitiors, kim is not unbeatable. but the important thing is, she usually do not make that.
    You are right but Kim would have to make many more mistakes than Suzuki to ever have a chance of losing to her, and given that Kim is a much more consistent skater than Suzuki the chances of that are almost nil. Even Kim making 2 mistakes (her max at her worst over the years) and Suzuki going clean would not be enough for Suzuki to beat her I dont think. In short Suzuki has no chance to beat Kim period. Kostner and Asada might have a chance to beat Kim, but not Suzuki.

Suzuki might have a chance to beat anyone else, but as others have mentioned would need alot of help from Asada or Kostner, but those are two very inconsistent skaters at times so anything is possible I guess. NHK this year puts things into perspective in a competition vs Mao, and all that would have to happen for Suzuki to possibly beat her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Suzuki might have a chance to beat anyone else, but as others have mentioned would need alot of help from Asada or Kostner, but those are two very inconsistent skaters at times so anything is possible I guess. NHK this year puts things into perspective in a competition vs Mao, and all that would have to happen for Suzuki to possibly beat her.
    honestly, I think they are tend to inconsistent skater as a Top skater, but I dont think Mao and Caro are 'very' inconsistent skater now. they developed their consistency than before....

when i remind nhk trophy... suzuki was almost beat mao who is one of top three, but at that time, Mao didn't had 3A, 3-3, so she was less strong competitor than now.
    In another viewpoint about NHK's result, her base value was higher than mao, and she had much better skate than Mao, but she was still lost.
    So I think she can get medal in worlds, but I'm skeptical about "Can she get the world title?" for many reasons...
    Last edited by karlon; 05-27-2013 at 07:47 PM.

vCash
    I dont really think she can win even win Worlds either. I wouldnt be surprised if Kim surprised people and went, but even if she doesnt one or both of Kostner or Asada will be there, and the judges I have a feeling will be more ready to reward the young ones than they will at the Games, thinking of it as almost the start of the new quad and the new generation reign. She will have to do something special to medal at either event, but would love to see it for her.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    With the beautiful Suzuki, I believe that anything is possible. But with the ugly Suzuki, I fear she will not make it out of Japanese Nationals.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    When did Yuna make SIMILAR mistakes as her competitors and got beat by them in the past few years? I honestly don't remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    When did Yuna make SIMILAR mistakes as her competitors and got beat by them in the past few years? I honestly don't remember.
    2011 Worlds and 2008 Worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If I consider only major competitions, 2008 Worlds and 2011 Worlds.
    Last edited by karlon; 05-28-2013 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    2011 Worlds and 2008 Worlds?
    I wasn't thinking as far back as the 2008 Worlds. Re 2011 Worlds: 1. Kim won the short program although she didn't skate cleanly and Ando did 2. Yuna singled the 3F in the free skate and lost around 6 points for that mistake alone. She also popped the toe-loop jump in her second jump combination. What comparable/similar mistakes did Miki make in her free skate at that competition?

vCash
    In the long program Ando turned her planned double axel-triple toe, the lynchpin of her program, into a botched double axel-double toe she stumbled out of. I would say that is easily a comparable mistake. Both women did 5 triples, but Kim did a triple-triple and Ando did not. Ando still came from behind to win. At the very least that wasnt a case Ando skated clearly cleaner, more error free, or much better, and still won, so I would say that is one event that supports karlon's claim. However Suzuki is not Asada, Ando, or Kostner, and would not be judged vs Kim the same way (sadly as I like her skating).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast