vCash

Canadian National Team Question

I just looked on the Skate Canada website list for the Canadian National team:
    http://skatecanada.ca/en-us/developm...ionalteam.aspx

I noticed there are four pairs and six dance teams. I know there are six dance teams because of Virtue and Moir not competing at Nationals, but why were only four pairs included instead of the usual five?

vCash
    Brodeur and Mattatal (4th in Victoria) announced their retirement not too long after Nationals. So there are only four pairs teams (SC doesn't bump up the 6th place team)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mocha-ice View Post
    Brodeur and Mattatal (4th in Victoria) announced their retirement not too long after Nationals. So there are only four pairs teams (SC doesn't bump up the 6th place team)
    Oh, ok, thanks. I thought they would bump up the 6th place team, but I guess I was wrong. I can't even remember who that was, actually. I also completely forgot about Brodeur and Mattatall's retirement since the skaters from the worlds were on my mind so much.

vCash
    Sawyer's still on the list, though. Odd.

vCash
    Yeah, that's weird that Shawn is still on the list. I think he announced his retirement after B & M.

vCash
    National team announced today (Sawyer is still on the list): http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

vCash
    That's weird that Shawn is still on the list. Maybe they're thinking they can entice him into coming back? I thought he might have lost his eligible status though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    That's weird that Shawn is still on the list. Maybe they're thinking they can entice him into coming back? I thought he might have lost his eligible status though.
    No he hasn't. He's just been on tour, I believe the same one other eligible have been on.

And given how Joey and Kevin did this year, maybe no-one wants to burn any bridges just yet.

vCash
    I thought he might have lost his eligible status because he chose to do the tour instead of going to worlds

vCash
    I don't think it is a problem because he wasn't a seeded skater for worlds this year.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I thought he might have lost his eligible status because he chose to do the tour instead of going to worlds
    This is why I thought too. From what I understand, if you miss an important competition and say you are not going 2-3 weeks before it(injured or not) and you do shows instead during Worlds time, you are supposed to loose it. I don't understand people who is saying Shawn hasn't lost his eligible status...can someone explain?

vCash
    Plus, Skate Canada approved Shawn's decision to do the shows. IIRC if the skater has their federation's permission, they avoid getting 'The Plushenko'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I don't think it is a problem because he wasn't a seeded skater for worlds this year.
    He came 2nd at Canadian Nats and was named to the team, then replaced by Kevin Reynolds at the last minute when he decided to skate in CSOI.. how does that make him not a seeded skater?

vCash
    He came 2nd at Canadian Nats and was named to the team, then replaced by Kevin Reynolds at the last minute when he decided to skate in CSOI.. how does that make him not a seeded skater?
    He's never been top 6 in the world -- that's the definition of a 'seeded' skater.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    6 teams in ice dance?
    Why not 5?
    V-M last in this least. Maybe 6 teams because Skate Canada dont know will V-M skate next season or no?

vCash
    I assume there are six because SC funds teams 1-5 and still wanted to fund V/M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    6 teams in ice dance?
    Why not 5?
    V-M last in this least. Maybe 6 teams because Skate Canada dont know will V-M skate next season or no?
    I don’t think there’s anything remarkable about V&M being included on the team. Skate Canada has left some wiggle room to add skaters/teams who were not able to participate at Canadians but still may be eligible to receive international assignments:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/deve...ionalteam.aspx

Skaters may be added at the discretion of the International Committee. These skaters may be considered to represent Canada at international competitions.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Maybe they have 6 in dance because they only have 4 teams in pairs (because no other teams are good enough) which is still the same funding as 5 in each.