Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    sorcerer posted this Japanese news article link over at Golden Skate that appears to confirm the 3 GP option for seeded skaters, and the reduction of singles slots from 12 to 10: http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00225.htm

vCash
    So for pairs, there's 48 total spots.

6 seeded teams- Savchenko, Sui, Duhamel, PangTong, Kavaguti, Bazarova, Volosozhar (I figure at least 1 retirement/sit-out of this group- could take up to 18 spots.

That leaves 30 spots for approx. 20 pairs- including Zhangs, Evora, Denney, Marley, Castelli, Cain, Lawrence, Moore-Towers, Gerboldt, Takahashi, Iliush, Hausch, Kemp, Berton, Stolbova, Yu/Jin, Dong/Wu, Zhang/Wang, Kadleckova, possibly Vise/Baldwin and Donlan/Speroff, among others.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Unless the ISU changes these rules as well, although there's been no word of it yet,

12 of those 30 are guaranteed to 7-12 (Moore-Towers/Moskovitch, Takahashi/Tran, Berton/Hotarek, Evora/Ladwig, Hausch/Wende, Sui/Han, replacing Duhamel/Radford, since Sui/Han had a higher 2010-11 SB than any of these teams)

2 of those 30 are guaranteed to Zhang/Zhang as "comeback" skaters, if they agree to do two

That leaves 16 spots before home picks, which several people pointed out up-thread. It is possible, although not likely, if nothing else for box office reasons, that every host fills three spots with skaters/teams who do not meet the criteria, except for minimum scores earned this past season or in internationals before GP. That means 18 spots, or two more than the remaining spots.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post

6 seeded teams- Savchenko, Sui, Duhamel, PangTong, Kavaguti, Bazarova, Volosozhar (I figure at least 1 retirement/sit-out of this group- could take up to 18 spots.

That leaves 30 spots for approx. 20 pairs- including Zhangs, Evora, Denney, Marley, Castelli, Cain, Lawrence, Moore-Towers, Gerboldt, Takahashi, Iliush, Hausch, Kemp, Berton, Stolbova, Yu/Jin, Dong/Wu, Zhang/Wang, Kadleckova, possibly Vise/Baldwin and Donlan/Speroff, among others.

When the plan reverts to 3 events allowable for seeded teams...the podiums become predictable and repetitive ( look at the podiums from 2004 and earlier). Injury withdrawals will still leave a strong field , which I think is the point, but there will be no surprise GPF qualifiers and few surprise medalists with the additional top 6 entry in every field. I think it will cement the ranking within the country as well, for instance, Iliushechkina Maisuradze will not win a GP event if there is another Russian team in the event, or 2 other top 6 teams..and that would be what they would need to do to take a run at the 3rd Russian spot for Olympics

It makes it even more inexplicable that Yankowskas Coughlin proceeded with the break up after a 6th place finish at Worlds and GP seeding a sure thing.
    Last edited by Sedge; 05-26-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Date of change to s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    It makes it even more inexplicable that Yankowskas Coughlin proceeded with the break up after a 6th place finish at Worlds and GP seeding a sure thing.
    I think we need to move on...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I know...Liberty would work so well.
    Well, it would be a good place to start, but adding an international component would also add more complications for the organizers of what's already a huge and complex event and would require eliminating or changing some of what they had previously offered to the senior-level participants. I'm sure it could be done, but is messing with an existing event that already serves a different purpose necessarily the best way to accomplish the goals? Probably takes more than a few months to answer those questions.

I'm less familiar with how Thornhill has been run in the past. I'm curious about how they will handle some of the necessary changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    sorcerer posted this Japanese news article link over at Golden Skate that appears to confirm the 3 GP option for seeded skaters, and the reduction of singles slots from 12 to 10: http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00225.htm
    Translated from Japanese.
    In the GP series in next season, Ando, Asada, etc can participate to three events.
    May 26th, 2011 JST

By Kyodo News in Japan
    Covering to the person concerned with ISU and JSF in May 26th, we found out that, aiming at raising the level of Grand Prix series, International Skating Union (ISU) gives Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Takahiko Kozuka, etc the right of choice of the participation to 3 events in next season.

In this season, the leading player can participate to two events, but, as for new system, only high-ranking 6 players in the Worlds at this April get to be able to participate to three events. Daisuke Takahashi and Nobunari Oda are contained to the object, too. A 10,000 dollar (about 820,000 yen) bonus is given to the player who participated to the 3rd event.

As for GP series in the first half in the season, there are 6 events and as for the next season, the NHK Trophy is held in Sapporo City in Hokkaido prefecture in November as the 4th event. By the total of the point which is given according to the order, the high-ranking 6 players advance to the Final. When participating in 3 events, it applies the point of two events of the better result among them.
    The ISU executive explained that, saying "It is the aim to improve the quality of the event by getting the top players to participate to a lot of event". As for each event, reducing the participation frame which was 12 Men and Ladies for each in this season to 10, it suppresses the unevenness of the competitive ability.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 05-27-2011 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind the direction of making the GP a very upper class and elitist event if it wasn't the only way for lots of "in development" skaters to put themselves on the map and getting recognition. FS is not Tennis or Soccer where you can't make a Grand Slam or the Champions League and still have plenty of big competitions where to participate and keep improving and increasing your stock.

Plus if these new rules are applied the ISU must start to count Senior B scores in the Seaon Best list otherwise it will become and awful vicious cycle.

vCash
    When did they stop counting Senior B's? Oh - you're talking about season's best, not world ranking points. Never mind

I'm going to w/hold judgment for 1 full season on letting the big guns do 3 events. With 6.0, it definitely made podiums predictable. But with COP, the sport is simply less predictable all around.

And maybe I'm a skunk for saying this, but having sat through the 1st group at two GP events, I'm not sad to see them cut it down to 10.

That said, I would love to see more Senior B events throughout the season, not just in early fall. Those events can be lots of fun to watch. At GP's, sometimes the disparity between the seeded skaters and the rest of them is too great, so there is very little drama. If the seeded skaters choose 3 events, there is more of a chance of them going up against each other, and that would be great to see.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    So for pairs, there's 48 total spots.

I f I read and undestand it properly, only Top 6 from Worlds (with no replacements from 7th pair) should be applying for thrid event, that means after Y/C only 17 spots for Top 6 is going to be awarded as Duhamel/Radford will recieve only 2 spots.

vCash
    Here's an idle thought... wouldn't it make more sense for the minimum GP qualifying score to be 2/3 of the highest GP/GPF score in each discipline?

vCash
    I understand why they think that the top six skaters from Worlds participating in three events would increase the quality of the GP events. However, I find this really unfair towards the other skaters trying to qualify to the GP final. For example, if one of the top six messes up one of their event (like it sometimes happens, for example Mao was 5th in the past, Joubert 4th etc), I thought it was fair that in the past they qualified into GPF only if they had the number of points to qualify. Now if either of them messes up, it will not matter because they will have one 'spare' attempt to qualify. How fair is it to those who don't have three events and therefore each of their skate at GP event counts towards the qualifying?

Why is dicounted the worst event from the three events, instead of counting let's say first two events?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I understand why they think that the top six skaters from Worlds participating in three events would increase the quality of the GP events. However, I find this really unfair towards the other skaters trying to qualify to the GP final. For example, if one of the top six messes up one of their event (like it sometimes happens, for example Mao was 5th in the past, Joubert 4th etc), I thought it was fair that in the past they qualified into GPF only if they had the number of points to qualify. Now if either of them messes up, it will not matter because they will have one 'spare' attempt to qualify. How fair is it to those who don't have three events and therefore each of their skate at GP event counts towards the qualifying?

Why is dicounted the worst event from the three events, instead of counting let's say first two events?
    The bold part is the part I don't get: why is this going to improve the quality? Won't people just phone it in if they start to get exhausted? That means travel every other weekend at the very beginning of the season. I don't know why, but this doesn't seem like a bar-raiser, this just seems stupid.

And I wouldn't be shocked if basically the top six became the GPF.

But, in answer to your last question, there'd be no point in giving a third event if you're only counting the first two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    But, in answer to your last question, there'd be no point in giving a third event if you're only counting the first two.
    I believe they still win prize money despite getting no placement points towards GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    I believe they still win prize money despite getting no placement points towards GPF.
    Thats my understanding too.

they also have to announce in advance which 2 of the 3 should count. they can't change that afterwards

vCash

And I wouldn't be shocked if basically the top six became the GPF.
    That tends to be what happens with 3 events for top 6 seeds.

The biggest impact on the attempted accumulation of GPF points for the 'up and comers' or surprise 2nd or 3rd in an early event is that in their 2nd event...they can't easily pull a top placement because there are 3 seeded entries in the event..and even if it is not a scoring event for the seeded entry ....the points that correspond with the seeded podium placement are taken out of the mix...so the up and coming team cannot access them. This is long winded..but is a mathematical block for the unseeded teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra_persch View Post
    Thats my understanding too.

they also have to announce in advance which 2 of the 3 should count. they can't change that afterwards
    My understanding is that as it is now, they will count the 2 highest scoring events of those three. That I think is unfair.

vCash
    There would be several reasons to do the third one:
    1. Money
    2. Chance to get highest season best (doesn't season's best plays some role in the order skaters skate the SP at Europeans and worlds?)

vCash
    Doing 3 events will also (in most cases) mean that the top skaters will be doing four competitions (3 events + GPF) over an 8-week period. For top skaters who also have their nationals in December (most except CAN and USA), that's five competitions in a 10-week period. IMO, that's a recipe for exhaustion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Doing 3 events will also (in most cases) mean that the top skaters will be doing four competitions (3 events + GPF) over an 8-week period. For top skaters who also have their nationals in December (most except CAN and USA), that's five competitions in a 10-week period. IMO, that's a recipe for exhaustion.
    I completely agree. Especially if skaters need to change something in their programs, this will not work out. Also, we must take into account travel time, jet lag, etc. - skaters may have one or two days between competitions, which is not enough. If the GPS were more spread out MAYBE this could work, but one skater may end up with three assignments in a row, IMO a recipe for disaster and exhaustion.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast