Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No, they can still get a host pick.

The biggest beneficiaries of this are the early Senior Bs - Thornhill, Nebelhorn and Finlandia, because every team/skater that needs a SB boost to qualify for the sub list will be scrambling to them.

Which makes no sense if the scoring rules change in between seasons, like they do.... every season.

vCash
    Thanks. I do like that new teams at least have a chance of getting on the sub list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    PAIRS: 145.3 - the top 23 on the SB list (Marley/Brubaker are 24th)

MEN: 187.32, 45th

DANCE: 123.51, 37th

LADIES: 134.23, 48th
    Under this new rule, both Caroline Zhang and Amanda Dobbs are not eligible for SGP events, if my math is correct.

Other U.S. skaters ineligible: Grant Hochstein, Stephen Carriere, Doug Razzano, Cannuscio/McManus, Vise/Baldwin, Donlan/Speroff, Cain/Reagan and Davis/Leftheris.

Quote Originally Posted by hoptoad View Post
    So they are not even eligible as a host pick?

Seems crazy to me.
    It is really confusing! In post #1 of this thread, HisWeirness quoted sandra_persch who said the score can either be achieved during the previous season or at fall internationals/Senior B's (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, etc), so perhaps there's still hope for the skaters listed above.

ETA: Thanks for the clarification, Proustable!

No, they can still get a host pick.
    Last edited by chipso1; 05-24-2011 at 04:45 AM.

vCash
    Here's a question: does the host pick have to represent the host? Is it actually written like that? Because if not, certain federations could have an interesting trump card if they are weak in any discipline (I'm thinking Japan and ice dance/pairs in particular.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN View Post
    If a skater is below the minimum-he can not be nvited.
    So - and yes I know there are many other posts after this one and I'm still confused! - does this mean that because Plushenko doesn't have a minimum score at all from last season, he can't do ANY GPs?

Or could he go to the Senior B events and get his minimum score and do GPs?

Or because he would be Russia's host pick for CoR he could do CoR but no other GP?

........................I'm so confused.

And, just curious, what about juniors who are doing their first senior season? Do their junior scores count or do they have to do Senior B or what?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It's really odd that not only are they upping the minimum score to 2/3 of the highest score, instead of approximately the total of doing all of the elements at L1 or the easiest jumps at 0 GOE, but that they are including PCS in the mix as well, instead of TES, like last year, since they still seem to be based on reputation and most often have little spread among them for any given skater.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    CoR can invite Plushenko, regardless of his lack of a score.

If he wants to do another GP event, he'll need to go to a Senior B competition, as he does not have a SB, nor is he in the WR top 24. CoR would give him a score that would be eligible... except it's the last event of the GP season (before the GPF, of course) so that's no good for him.

Junior scores do count for SB ranking, so Rogozine, Majorov, Tanaka and others do have a SB that qualifies.

vCash
    Plushenko should be eligible as a returning 2010 Olympic medalist.

vCash
    Here's a question: does the host pick have to represent the host? Is it actually written like that? Because if not, certain federations could have an interesting trump card if they are weak in any discipline (I'm thinking Japan and ice dance/pairs in particular.)
    Last year, Japan used its 3rd ladies' spot not on a Japanese skater, but on Jenna McCorkell, so I guess it's possible. However, I'm not sure whether JSF forfeited the spot and the ISU gave it to Jenna or JSF picked Jenna for the spot.

vCash
    Mccorkell's case is not a host pick. Japan has abandoned a host TBA spot, and after that, invited Mccorkell by the usual way of replacing. I've heard the JSF did a test skate for that TBA spot, but no one could live up to required standards.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Last year, minimum scores were just for championships. However, sandra_persch's post quoted in the opening post of the thread suggests that minimum scores will be required at GP's as well. Since the ISU has never had minimum scores for GP's before, there is no precedent, but SUN, who reported additional information above, also stated in response to the question whether host invites needed to meet the minimum, "If a skater is below the minimum-he can not be nvited." Also, the only reference to "Olympic" in the 2010-2011 GP announcement is that the scores count in the WS. (A provision for Olympic medalists was included in at least some years of the Vancouver Olympic cycle.) The clause for coming back after prior achievement is as follows:

"Comeback" skaters/couples:

(placed 1 to 6 at any previous ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently do not participate in one or more competitive seasons are allowed to re-enter the Grand Prix if they commit to participating in 2 Grand Prix events.
    If minimum scores apply to GP, it seems that they apply to host picks as well. However, if there is an exception in the new rules for minimum scores for host pick skaters, there would also have to be an exception in the rules to allow "comeback" skaters to bypass the minimum score rules for Plushenko to be able to skate GP: if there is no exception for "comeback" skaters, he still must commit to two, and if the exception is only for the host pick, he would a minimum score to qualify for his second GP.

Minimum scores can be achieved at many international competitions: the ISU list for this past season was several pages on a .pdf, and while Senior B's are included on the list, there are many more qualifiers than just the Senior B's.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Well, now I hear that for the minimum 2/3 score only technical mark will be considered.

Also the question I have (if this 2/3 criterian will be imlemented). Thids minimum score must be achieved during the previous season only or any previous yer will count?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The technical score, while still high, is much better than including PCS.

In this past season, the first for minimum scores, anything in the previous (2009-10) or current (2010-11) season was accepted for ISU championships, but there was talk at the time that this would only be for 2010-11, and that going forward, the ISU might change this so that only current season scores counted to make minimum scores for championships.

That isn't really feasible for GPs, since there are so many qualifying competitions after the GP has started, right up to early-mid March. Plus the minimum scores are so high, and GPs are so early, it's not realistic to think that skaters will be ready in October-November to get the new minimum score levels so early in the season at qualifying competitions. However, I wouldn't put it past the ISU, since they seem to think that only the top 1-12 skaters and former top 1-6 can just wake up, put on their skates, and reach these minimum scores without much preparation.

vCash
    The minimum TES for the GP (SP+FS):

98.51 MEN
    66.57 LADIES
    74.53 PAIRS
    60.70 DANCE

Cheltzie LEE meets the minimum score, but Jenna McCORKELL does not
    MARLEY / BRUBAKER just meet the minimum score

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The original report was based on a combined minimum score including PCS. This has been clarified as TES only. We still don't know if it's combined TES score at one competition or separate minimum scores for each program that can be earned at one or different competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    The ISU has released the schedule of international competitions for the 2011-12 season.
    No B-Internationals in the US. :/

Thornhill Summer Skate is the only Summer NA event that became one.

Silly USFS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No B-Internationals in the US. :/

Thornhill Summer Skate is the only Summer NA event that became one.

Silly USFS.
    I know...Liberty would work so well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I know...Liberty would work so well.
    July is really early for an international competition.

ETA: I think there was hearsay posted a while ago that the US hopes to be able to host a Senior B international or two by next year (2012). Link to a post at Golden Skate in February: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post548618
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    With the top 5 Dance teams in the World training in Detroit area...it seems a shame that there is not a Senior B Dance event in North America

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    July is really early for an international competition.

ETA: I think there was hearsay posted a while ago that the US hopes to be able to host a Senior B international or two by next year (2012). Link to a post at Golden Skate in February: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post548618
    I'm happy about this. July is early, but it's better than nothing! Perhaps it could even be pushed back a bit.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast