vCash

Question about GOE

Can someone explain how GOE marks are averaged? For instance there are some elements that receive all positive 1 or 2 GOE marks from each judge but the GOE is something like 0.46. It's been a while since Math31 but something's not adding up right if it's just the good old fashioned averaging rules.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf

See any of the skaters' elements scores (Patrick's 6th element, or Oda's 5th element).

I realize I've reached new depths of dorkdom, but it's giving me a head itch and I MUST have answers!

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    I think the average of the GOEs is multiplied by a certain factor, and that factor is different depending on the element.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Some elements have their GOE factored. For example, spins, which aren't worth a lot of points to begin with, aren't going to give you 3 points GOE because that is worth almost the same as the spin. So the GOE on those elements is divided in half or something. I am not explaining this exactly but it is something along those lines.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I don't think ISU has the GOE values right yet.

Some may say Yuna's jump GOE from last season was too high, but now I actually think they are unrealistically low and not reflective of the superiority of the quality of her jumps compared to Ando's. They both landed 5 triples and 2 2axels and Kim's were of better quality - somehow Ando came out ahead technically. I would think Kim's better jumping should be worth more than the difference of a 2toe and 1toe and that of 1flip and 2loop and the bonus of one more backloaded jump.

Czisny also landed the same number of triple jumps + 2axels as Kim, Ando, Kostner and Leonova, just 1 2axel less, but the quality of her spins and spirals should have more than enough offset that to catch up with them, but no?! It's too much about quantity now.

There is also something wrong with how the judges award them. I mean, Czisny should have received the highest GOE on all spins and spirals, bar none, but some individual judges seemed to have thought otherwise...
    Last edited by Marco; 05-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.

vCash
    You guys rock. Thank you! The factoring makes sense, like you say BigB on lower scoring elements like spins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't think ISU has the GOE values right yet.
    GOE judging is sadly way too affected by the reputation and the judges do not seem to be aware that the deductions are cumulative.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Everything you ever wanted to know about GOEs and levels in Singles and Pairs skating can be found in ISU Communication 1611.

There are pages of tables converting +1, +2 GOE, etc. into actual points, starting on page 2.