Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neti pot

vCash

Neti pot

Anyone use this? I just heard about this, this morning. (I have a code in my node so someone told me to try one).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot

vCash
    I've used it before. It works well when used right. I bought it at Whole Foods.

Just, fyi, never use it if you can't blow your nose. Just don't.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i use it from fall to spring, i've been using it for a few years. it helped my post nasal drip a lot.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I've used it before. It works well when used right. I bought it at Whole Foods.

That's good to know. I guess I won't be trying it right now.

vCash
    I've used it. It ain't easy! Feels a bit like drowning, in fact. But it's helped a little when I've had a bad cold.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I used it when the pollen filled the air during spring and summer. It worked great.

INTJ
    vCash
    I use mine a lot. It really helps clear things out. I don't suggest you try it for the first time after a big meal though
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I love a good sinus flush!

Not the Neti Pot, per se, the Ayr one is one of my faves.

vCash
    I've used a neti-pot for a couple of years now. Every morning and night.

IMO, it's a miracle worker. Cleared my years-plugged sinuses and kept them clear.And mostly cold free. I love it and will never be without it again.

And I've never felt like I was drowning, even when I first used it and had a bad sinus infection. (which I'm sure I'd had on and off for years)

Why do you say that? That's when I recommend to my friends they must try it.

vCash
    It might have been me, but I had one totally blocked nostril and nothing could get through and it became really painful. Then I remember reading in the manual not to use it if nostrils were really, really blocked.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My sister loves hers. Colds usually start with a stuffy nose for her, so she always goes to the neti pot when she feels her nose stuffing up.

She thought it was gross at first but her gay housemate swore by it and even took her into the bathroom to give her one-on-one instruction.

vCash
    It might have been me, but I had one totally blocked nostril and nothing could get through and it became really painful. Then I remember reading in the manual not to use it if nostrils were really, really blocked.

When I first used it, I had the worst sinus headache I had ever had in my life. But I had read from many sources to give it a week. I didn't need a week. After 2 or 3 days I started to feel better, great in fact. I could breathe deeper than I had in probably my entire adult life. I seriously had no idea that I could breathe that deeply back into my nose.

I think I'd had infected sinuses for years. Every time I had dental xrays, every couple years, my dentist would tell me I had a sinus infection, give me antibiotics which I would finish, and go on with my life thinking all was better. I now think it never really cleared up, and that headache I had for the first day or so was all the infection being washed away (although I saw nothing gross flush out, in case anyone is wondering )

Now my colds are so mild I barely notice, my headaches are very rare, I can breathe deeply like nobody's business, and I even think my eyes get puffy less.

*shrug* Works for me.

vCash
    I might need to try it again, then. I have constant sinus issues.

vCash
    And the great thing about the neti pot is 'drug free'. You don't have to take all these pills for various colds and sinus problems. Please do it in the bathroom sink, not your kitchen sink. There are many Youtube videos showing you how to do it right (or wrong).

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Maybe merge this thread with the Snotty Kitty thread?
    OK, I’ll go quietly.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    That could be a novel application, Reuven!

I've used Neti pot and Sinurinse, and both work well but the latter I find easier to use because it's a squeeze bottle so you can control the flow.

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I was instructed to use the squeezy bottle version by an ENT person I was referred to. I have been enthusing to everyone about it ever since, it's amazing what a difference it makes. I did find it really, really horrible to do at first, it's like when you jump in a swimming pool and water goes up your nose, and things like that have a tendency to give me a panic attack, so I really had to concentrate very very hard on shutting off my brain and not letting myself think about what it felt like at all. But it only took a few days to get used to it and after that it's been entirely unproblematic. My breathing feels much clearer, my post-nasal drip massively reduced. If I do wake up with a runny nose the rinse sorts it all out.

I agree with oleada about the pain when I tried to use it when my nose was too blocked though And the leaflet that came with it did warn against that. I don't use it at the really bad stages of a cold for that reason, but when things subside to clearer drippiness it is once again magic at cleaning things out.
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Like Jodi - my DD uses the squeezy bottle version and its made a huge difference in her athletics. She has a ton of allergies which results in asthma and since being a regular user of the nasal rinse she has reduced her asthma drugs in half and increased her lung capacity. She has even got my hubby on it now as he has sinus issues/asthma as well.. she initially tried the neti pot but found the squeezy bottle nasal rinse to be easier to use and more practical for travelling..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I've used Neti-Pot for many years, especially during the allergy seasons. It does not totally save me, but helps a lot, and I'd recommend it to anybody ( a bit gross, but very helpful).
    If you try to use it with a pluged-up nose the water could also get to your ears- not too pleasant. And always remember to use the solution- I once used plain water accidentally, and it's painful.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    And always remember to use the solution- I once used plain water accidentally, and it's painful.

I agree. Also, the water needs to be body temp. I warm mine for 30 seconds in the microwave, then add the saline and shake.

I have to say again, I never ever had the feeling of drowning. I find it interesting some of you have. In fact, from first time I barely felt the water. It just majically goes in one nostril and out the other.

As I got more experienced, I researched and learned how to tilt my head back far enough to reach farther back in my sinuses. That did feel a bit weird, but again, nothing like drowning.

I;ve thought of trying the spray, but I've had such bad experiences with nasal sprays years ago (like Dristan) I just liked the idea of a natural gentle flow like the pot gives, no forced pressure but gravity.

Whichever method anyone chooses, nasal rinsing is wonderful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast