vCash

VA Aid and Attendance Benefits?

Anyone had experience with getting an elderly vet VA Aid & Attendance Benefits, and specifically how it worked once the VA finally approves the claim? Just spent a week with my 93-year-old uncle who is subsisting on SS benefits and who needs some home care that he can't afford, and some help with drug and medical copays. We're working through some other routes as well, but the VA side of things is a little tough to understand. (He is blind and mostly deaf and has difficulty walking, but none of that was service-related -- he's a WWII vet, if that makes a difference.)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I assume you've visited the VA site. They have a page with links to FAQ and other info.

There's even a "what to expect" page

If you go through the system and are having difficulties, one of the Senators or Congress people who represent your uncle may be able to help. I know my state's senators have a specific page about how to submit requests if you need help dealing with federal agencies or benefit issues, and a 93 year old WWII vet seems like a very symapthetic candidate for help if you need it. I'm sure most senators/congress reps have similar info about how to request assistance.

For example, Sen Schumer's office has a page for general assistance with federal agencies, and then a special page dedicated to veterans issues and how to contact the Senator for help with problems.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    If you have an American Legion or VFW in the area, you could ask them for resources. Especially if your uncle is a member.

vCash
    Thanks! I had not found the VeteranAid site, which seems to be separate from the VA site -- the VeteranAid site has a LOT more information.