Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    It also somewhat lessens the question- "How old is he?" Although it is surprising how many people will even overlook bows and headbands and ask about your little boy.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I used to work for the Abercrombie company.

Just sharing here, target markets for Abercrombie owned stores -
    Ruehl 925 - around age 23 and up
    Abercrombie and Fitch - 18 - 22 years old
    Hollister - 15/16ish years to 18
    Abercrombie - 10 - 14

My brother used to work for Express. That is definitely a store who's target market is not a pre teen. More like a young, working adult.

But I do agree, lots of girls, especially younger ones are dressing incredibly provocatively lately. It's gross.

ETA: Oh and have you guys noticed the new trend lately? Push up bathing suit tops. I'm pretty sure Abercrombie (the kids one, the adult one is Abercrombie and Fitch) has them. Target has them also. There's a trend I'll never understand.
    Ruehl doesn't even exist anymore. Abercrombie closed the brand well over a year ago. I liked their stuff but it was hella overpriced.

So.....what's the difference between a push up bra and a push up bathing suit top? Both accomplish the same thing. And no, Abercrombie Kids doesn't offer the push up top anymore. Abercrombies does, but most adult bathing suit manufacturers do.

Also, Hollister skirts- http://www.hollisterco.com/webapp/wc...12595_-1_12552 Yeah, the denim ones are too short, defintiely. But...there's plenty of pretty, more modest alternatives.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    And I'm tempted to join this protest - Slutwalk Halifax
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    It also somewhat lessens the question- "How old is he?" Although it is surprising how many people will even overlook bows and headbands and ask about your little boy.
    I always thought that was the main reason those headbands existed, i.e. to distinguish little bald baby girls from little bald baby boys.

I also often cringe when I walk past the girls' department at many stores, but I also know there's plenty of appropriate stuff available in those stores too. The questionable items do seem to be displayed more prominently though.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Where are these people shopping?

I don't have a little girl any more, but even my teenager can find perfectly presentable, unslutty clothes in stores (and she is WAY more modest than even I would demand her to be). I go shopping with a friend who has a nine year old girl, and, while we roll our eyes over some of the things we see, we never have any problem finding her daughter clothes, either.
    This. I recently took my 8 year old niece shopping--she requested my presence because "Auntie IceAlisa has style" . We got her long tank tops, cardigans and jeggigns (denim leggings) for school. I did see some inappropriate clothing for her age group and was pleasantly surprised that my niece was very aware of critical of them. Her style of clothing is very relaxed, yet cute and age-appropriate.

My other niece is 12 and wears lots of jeans, sneakers and tees and tanks. She is starting to use make up and it's a bit of a struggle for her mom to keep it very light. But no, the answer is--most clothes for girls that I've seen are age appropriate.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    So.....what's the difference between a push up bra and a push up bathing suit top? Both accomplish the same thing. And no, Abercrombie Kids doesn't offer the push up top anymore. Abercrombies does, but most adult bathing suit manufacturers do.
    Personally I think push up bathing suit tops are tasteless. Then again I'm modest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    The only thing I haven't been able to find in recent years is a good pair of jean shorts. Everything available is either granny style or about as tiny as a swimsuit bottom. The tiny shorts are not only too revealing, but they're usually unfortunate looking for anyone without toothpick legs. I have one pair of shorts I bought years ago, nice normal ones, that I've been hanging onto since I can't find anything else. My sister has tried to steal them from me several times.
    Finding any appropriate non-athletic shorts has been my summer shopping goal for three straight years. Ann Taylor's Loft has a good selection, but they're also quite expensive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I find the whole tramp/slutty thing rather offensive, because to me it is very close to the argument I used to hear in the '70's where they would defend a boy's actions because the girl was "asking for it" by the way she dressed.
    Oh, it it wasn't left in the '70s. You still run into this boneheaded mentality these days.

I think slut-shaming is irresponsible and unfair. That said, it's not a terrible thing to keep kids looking like kids while you still can.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Personally, I say if it's not for sale, don't advertise, but if you're an adult you can do what you want. (People are entitled to not take you seriously because of it, as how you dress is how you want to be viewed unless someone FORCED you into wearing what you are. Like wearing an old t-shirt and flip-flops to an office job.)

If you're a kid (ie under the age of majority), no dressing like a tramp, either the sluty kind or the hobo kind. And it's not in fact, as mentioned, hard to find decent clothes that are practical.

As for push-up bathing suits, I hate them, but then I only wear a bathing suit if I actually want to SWIM. If they're being worn just to walk around, whatever kind of support you think you need. (Better too much than too little for some people.)

INTJ
    vCash
    Personally I think push up bathing suit tops are tasteless. Then again I'm modest.
    Depends on the size of your chest and the coverage of the suit If you're rocking DD's and they're falling out of your top, well yes that's pretty tasteless. However, I wear bikinis with a little bit of extra help and it isn't trashy. I have barely any breasts and look like a stick though.

I don't really see that many young girls dressing like tramps around here. Although I will say that it seems that those that do usually have a mother or some other female caregiver around that's dressed questionably.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    ...I don't really see that many young girls dressing like tramps around here. Although I will say that it seems that those that do usually have a mother or some other female caregiver around that's dressed questionably.
    This.

I have found that saying "no, you can't have that it is not appropriate" works wonders while shopping with my girls. But then, I strongly believe that as a parent that I'm the one in charge. I'm not a tyrant, but I have very clear guidelines. I now have a teen and a preteen and I find I have to say "no" much less often. They know what is appropriate and they also know how to break the rules to show their own individuality without crossing over into inappropriate stuff - whether it be clothing or behaviour.

Sllightly OT, but I do the same thing with the behaviour they see on TV. We talk about the way TV characters talk to each other and whether or not that sort of language and tone is appropriate or not. They love Wizards of Waverly Place, I Carly, Hannah Montana, etc. but they know that the way those character talk is not appropriate and that I won't tolerate the tone or the language from them.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Depends on the size of your chest and the coverage of the suit If you're rocking DD's and they're falling out of your top, well yes that's pretty tasteless. However, I wear bikinis with a little bit of extra help and it isn't trashy. I have barely any breasts and look like a stick though.
    I am not going to reveal my bra size on here but I am 'gifted', I guess you could say.

But I think if you are like an A, go for the push up. I think there's certain sizes that do not need to be pushed up. I can see the good in the push up swim suit tops but I can see it being 'abused' also. I guess I can see both sides of the issue.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I now have a teen and a preteen and I find I have to say "no" much less often. They know what is appropriate and they also know how to break the rules to show their own individuality without crossing over into inappropriate stuff - whether it be clothing or behaviour.
    If they are old enough to get an allowance or earn their own money, they may be engaging in the time-honored teen tradition of buying the clothese mom won't allow and changing their clothes as soon as they get to school
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    But I think if you are like an A, go for the push up. I think there's certain sizes that do not need to be pushed up.
    "Held up" may be more to the point, if the alternative is drooping below the waist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    If they are old enough to get an allowance or earn their own money, they may be engaging in the time-honored teen tradition of buying the clothese mom won't allow and changing their clothes as soon as they get to school
    I should clarify by saying that I don't always like what they choose. One child lives in sweats, t-shirts, and fleeces, usually black or gray and hates brushing her hair. She often looks like she has just rolled out of bed! The other has her own sense of style and has become quite the fashionista. The current hair colour is a bit but it will grow out and is preferable to a tattoo! In both cases they often choose things that I don't like but they are not inappropriate. Life would be very difficult if I insisted they wear what I think they should wear! There is a huge variety of styles and colours out there for them to choose from - I'm confident they don't feel restricted. I like to think it is good parenting, but it is probably just dumb luck that clothes have yet to become an issue in our house.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm sure it's a combo of both, with emphasis on the former.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    A lot of the comments on this article say they would love to dress their daughters in age-appropriate clothing, if they could find any in the store. Is this true? Is it that hard to find nice (i.e. not Junior Slut) clothes for girls?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/1...ess/index.html
    As the person who goes into the Macy's children's section and asks the clerks "Where is the opaque department?" annually, I say yes, it's hard to find modest clothing for girls, especially after they turn 9 and won't wear the cute little sundresses and shirt-and-leggings sets. Since most of the clerks in NY and NJ don't know what "opaque' means, they usually point me somewhere, which makes it an annual pleasure.

My kids are slim and a little short, but proportionate. They're not even 13 yet. I picked up LARGE size t-shirts at Kohl's in their Juniors department and they were skin-tight on my daughters. The dressing room clerk, hearing my "that's mislabeled" comment, said "That's how they wear them nowaways." Found better-sized ones at Five Below that were just as witty and cute, without the snarky salesclerks.

We went easter dress shopping for them at Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Target. I just wanted a simple shift or a pretty pastel print sundress. Everything was spaghetti straps, tissue-thin and transparent. This was in NYC - it's COLD up there on Easter; what are the buyers thinking?

I blame it on the buyers for the stores. They're out of touch with at least my segment of the market. I sewed my DDs a few skirts for their upcoming birthday because everything I saw was either really long and pricey or really short and pricey. Too complicated - it was easier to take a skirt they liked and use it as a pattern.

Good places for find well-made, age-appropriate clothes: Belk, JC Penney (at times) and Sears, but you should join their frequent-buyer plans and get their credit cards because there are real discounts there at times.

ETA: The best thing about synchro is that they have lots of plain black stretch pants that fit and go with anything.

ITA about there being a divide between what I'd like them to wear and what they want to wear. I let them buy "skinny jeans" this past August, just to prove my point. By October, they didn't fit anymore and were giving them stomachaches. Now they buy the jeans with a little room for growth. One of my daughters is a girly-girl fashion plate and the other is a tomboy, so I have it pretty easy compared to my friends.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 05-04-2011 at 01:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    "Held up" may be more to the point, if the alternative is drooping below the waist.
    Haha ewww!

vCash
    My best friend's daughter is going into 9th grade (she is 14) and she ALWAYS looks age appropriate. I think she shops at Ambercrombie and Hollister and she always looks adorable and like a 14 year old. Like someone else said, I dont know how these stores could be considered slutty unless girls are buying things too small.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I don't know if other schools have dress codes, but here, bare midriffs, short skirts and shorts, spaghetti straps, exposed hip bones, visible cleavage, and just about everything else considered stylish are forbidden at school. And the dress codes are enforced, too.

So there must be a lot of clothes available somewhere or the local girls would have to be homeschooled. And as I said, I've never had a problem.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast