Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    I think modesty/dressing pretty is about to make a comeback. My 17 year old, who has been wearing jeans and tank tops for 3 years, now wants to buy ALL these dresses to wear this summer.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Some of these are cute!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    even I think some of those are super cute! love the Ode to Summer dress
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I don't know if other schools have dress codes, but here, bare midriffs, short skirts and shorts, spaghetti straps, exposed hip bones, visible cleavage, and just about everything else considered stylish are forbidden at school. And the dress codes are enforced, too.
    That's how it is here as well. Students are not allowed to wear jeans that have any kind of rips or holes (natural or pre-made) as well, nor are they allowed to wear any type of logo that is "questionable."

Basically, clothing that isn't sleazy or slutty is definitely out there (otherwise there wouldn't be anything for them to wear to school), but it's the stuff that's worn when they're not in school that's - especially during the hotter months, and needless to say, that's when any dissention/arguments about what to buy or wear pop up.

The biggest issue is when MC wants to buy something with her own money that I deem as inappropriate ("YOU'RE not paying for it, so what do you care?!?!" "You're MY kid, and I'm not going to have you walking around town looking like a skank!!" has been a chorus of the past two summers )

vCash
    I gotta say, I lean towards agreeing with rjblue on this one.

I cringe at the use of words like skank, slut tramp and the rest that put down women. I find them particularly offensive when describing what some young girls might look like when dressed in clothes that might be a little too revealing for what society deems acceptable.

I remember having this discussion years ago on another forum taking the view that we don't do the type of name calling to young boys when they leave the house looking ridiculous, and someone piped up to say he's often mentioned how young guys today look like clowns with their low baggy pants.

Uhm, yep. clowns = skanks. Quite a difference there imo.

k, off my soapbox and off to work for today.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post

I remember having this discussion years ago on another forum taking the view that we don't do the type of name calling to young boys when they leave the house looking ridiculous, and someone piped up to say he's often mentioned how young guys today look like clowns with their low baggy pants.
    That's because the word most people want to us for them has racial overtones, at least where I grew up. (Begins with a w but rhymes with the n-word, implies that's what they want to be.)

Quote Originally Posted by rjblue
    I think modesty/dressing pretty is about to make a comeback. My 17 year old, who has been wearing jeans and tank tops for 3 years, now wants to buy ALL these dresses to wear this summer.
    That's because modcloth has SUPER-cute clothes. I just wish more of their dresses had sleeves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123