Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    From an interview done in Moscow, credit to lakewood for translating: "Even I don't know. I need time to think."

Thus far, Yu-na hasn't committed to anything, not even to competitive-ness next year. Korean articles are judging and thus inserting their own opinion/wishes that she will skate next year but nothing's definite as of yet. I expect Team Yu-na will have a press conference when she decides or at least release a public statement independent of an interview.

Anyways, slightly OT but from the same interview (credit to lakewood@YNKF) on the Russian babies in regards to if she wants to compete w/them: "No way. Thank God I was born early and don't have to."

XD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.

Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds. Even though Sarah will always remain the 2002 Oly champ, the medal was 'tarnished' in marketing value. The elusive champ on a pedestal is she who left before she could be knocked off the pedestal (unless she was Henie or Witt, who gambled and won by returning atop the Oly pedestal...even though Witt lost Worlds to Debi Thomas in 86)!
    If Sarah's medal was tarnished, it was only because the season following her big Olympic win proved that her OGM was a fluke. Props to her for having the skate of her life when it counted, but she never won any major competition leading up to SLC (I don't think Skate Canada counts), and never came close to winning anything afterward. She then followed that up with her brilliant Stars on Ice stint, where the girl known for her 3-3s traveled the US barely eking out doubles.

YuNa, on the other hand, had lots of victories - including a World Championship - leading up to Vancouver. Sure it would be nice to go out on the highest possible note, but regardless, I think most people think of her as a great champion and nobody thinks of her OGM as a fluke.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    From an interview done in Moscow, credit to lakewood for translating: "Even I don't know. I need time to think."

Thus far, Yu-na hasn't committed to anything, not even to competitive-ness next year. Korean articles are judging and thus inserting their own opinion/wishes that she will skate next year but nothing's definite as of yet. I expect Team Yu-na will have a press conference when she decides or at least release a public statement independent of an interview.

Anyways, slightly OT but from the same interview (credit to lakewood@YNKF) on the Russian babies in regards to if she wants to compete w/them: "No way. Thank God I was born early and don't have to."

XD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post

Not for nothing, but I was playing a Family Feud game online recently, and the question "name a famous figure skater" came up. As a longtime MK fan, I excitedly typed in "Michelle Kwan" and got the dreaded red X. Meanwhile, Tara made the list.

vCash
    [In other words, Tara was subtly saying that Yu-Na should have done as she did in 1998 -- grap the Olympic Gold and quit, to retain the mystique and queenly glory that goes with being an Oly gold medalist.] Tara was absolutely correct, IMO.
    Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.
    Oh boy.. I am so agitated by these posts. "Grabbing the Olympic Gold and then quitting" may make sense if (i) you are too old to go on or (ii) you know you don't have the talent or skills to consistently perform to be on top and your OGM win was largely a result of others failing. In Yuna's case, clearly, neither applies. She is only 20 years old, and she is, by a wide consensus, the best skater in the world. And I personally think that such a "hit-and-run" approach is not good for the sport.

Of course, if her heart is not in it, she has every right to quit at anytime, but as a skating fan, I want to see Yuna compete as long as she can, because she is a once-in-a lifetime talent.

vCash
    I think we've seen the last of Yu-na in competition. Honestly, I think it would be hard for anyone to find the motivation to keep on training at such a high level when you have millions and are Olympic/World champ. She might be chasing history, but I think she is tired.

vCash
    Darn-I hope she competes. She was missed this past season.

vCash
    I think Yuna is like Britney Spears in that they both look miserable trying to recall past glorys but obviously don't want to be doing what they are doing anymore. They both need to retire. Only difference is Yuna had talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think Yuna is like Britney Spears in that they both look miserable trying to recall past glorys but obviously don't want to be doing what they are doing anymore. They both need to retire. Only difference is Yuna had talent.
    While this is a bit , the comparison is truly

vCash
    Yu-Na looks miserable to you only because perhaps you completely misunderstand the meaning of her tears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaia View Post
    ..... I want to see Yuna compete as long as she can, because she is a once-in-a lifetime talent.
    And now we can see Yu-Na compete 'forever' in Speedy & Scott's (S&S?) new "ICE Cup" Pro-Am. Leaving eligible skating no longer means "no more competition" for Yu-Na and other Worlds & Oly medalists who want to move on.

I'm now very supportive of the ICE Cup, as it seems to be designed as a new version of the old Landover World Pros...but a Pro-Am instead (like Landover Dec 1998 edition). It's great that they're limiting it to skaters who have won at least one medal at a Worlds or Olympics, thus limiting 'national faves' who have not quite made podium. You have to draw the line somewhere and this seems fair. I truly hope that ICE will include all 4 major disciplines - men, ladies, dance and pairs.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    The problem is probably not only that she lost 2 World title in a row, but each time, it was so close and for stupid things. last season, she lost because of a stupid spin (and spiral, WTF ?). And this season, a single Flip ? It's even more difficult to accept when the fault is up to you.
    She is amazing and we need her in competitions, because she is still the best "skater" out there. She and Carolina Kostner know how to glide !

vCash
    I wouldn't say Britney didn't have talent. I did like young Britney.

Anyways, I just think if Kim really wanted to win, it would've been wise to attend at least one competition before Worlds. Even someone as consistent as Kwan competed at Nationals before Worlds.

vCash
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    Maybe she can go on a vacation together with Mao, Mai and Kanako (read somewhere that Mao is planning on vacationing with Mai and Kanako). Four beautiful young ladies on holiday together !!
    I'm picturing the bots

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    The problem is probably not only that she lost 2 World title in a row, but each time, it was so close and for stupid things. last season, she lost because of a stupid spin (and spiral, WTF ?). And this season, a single Flip ? It's even more difficult to accept when the fault is up to you.
    She is amazing and we need her in competitions, because she is still the best "skater" out there. She and Carolina Kostner know how to glide !
    I totally agree. It was really frustrating to watch.

vCash
    The most frustrating thing is that the Korean fed will probably submit Yu-Na's name for the GP and she will get two assignments. And then, of course, she will withdraw sometime in August or September, and her spots will be filled with leftovers.

The hosts know this, and no doubt some will pick Kim knowing they can replace her with a far inferior skater, thus setting up that host's best skater for a medal.

vCash
    Yuna looked extremely miserable and skated like a deer in the headlights at Worlds.

She's an exceptional talent but it looked like her heart wasn't in it any more (Jammers' Britney comparison was spot on, only fortunately Yuna isn't suffering from a mental illness ).

I expect she's going to retire now.

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    The most frustrating thing is that the Korean fed will probably submit Yu-Na's name for the GP and she will get two assignments. And then, of course, she will withdraw sometime in August or September, and her spots will be filled with leftovers.

The hosts know this, and no doubt some will pick Kim knowing they can replace her with a far inferior skater, thus setting up that host's best skater for a medal.
    Nope, there are new substitution rules.

Check the GP dates thread.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-04-2011 at 01:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Yu-Na looks miserable to you only because perhaps you completely misunderstand the meaning of her tears.
    And you have a better understanding of them how, exactly?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Yeah i know comparing Yuna to Britney was . LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Nope, there are new substitution rules.

Check the GP dates thread.
    Yes, I know they can give the spots to other seeds. But if both Ando and Kim withdraw, there are only 4 seeds left to fill 4 spots, and in that could mean a seed competing in 3 events in a row. Who is to say these skaters WANT to do 3 GP events? For example, Kostner is not at her best in the GP and she is still recovering from injury. I can't see her doing 3 GP events. I doubt Asada would want to do it either. That leaves Czisny and Leonova.

Then there's the fact the 2010-2011 season has gone a month over schedule, which gives them less time to rest and recover before they start training for next season. Asking top skaters to do 3 events is a bit much on top of that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast