Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    That performance of hers at the Worlds Gala did not look like someone's who enoys skating anymore.
    Last edited by millipied; 05-02-2011 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    Me too. This was it for Yu-Na in eligible skating. IMO, the new ISU-Scott Hamilton "ICE Cup" pro-am seems to have been tailor-made for Yu-Na. She'll probably spend the next 6 years competing against Sasha Cohen for the ICE Cup.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Can someone in Korea comment, does she have a future in show business? That seems to be the direction she wants to go. She'll be 21 soon, is that the age in Korea where she can make her own business decisions? I look for her to break out ala Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    I think she should retire from competitive skating. Her heart doesn't seem into it anymore. Her programs, especially her LP, were lovely and I would love to see them performed at high level. But if her heart isn't into competing anymore then she's going to continue to give performances like those she gave at the last two Worlds. Plus, I wonder if judges will eventually get tired of it and bring down her PCS.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Tara Lipinsky said it well at the end of the Univ Sports telecast of the Ladies finals last Saturday -- in essence, Tara said that Yu-Na was the big loser of the day, despite the bronze. "Yu-Na Kim, the Olympics champion, has now competed in two Worlds since her Olympics and come up short in both. She may have wished that she had retired after having achieved her ultimate goal." [In other words, Tara was subtly saying that Yu-Na should have done as she did in 1998 -- grap the Olympic Gold and quit, to retain the mystique and queenly glory that goes with being an Oly gold medalist.] Tara was absolutely correct, IMO.

vCash
    Go Yuna! go for the Kween's Record 9 Straight medals at worlds.

vCash
    Everyone has different values in life. Maybe in Tara's mind, winning the title was the ultimate goal, which may not be true for Yu-Na. If Yu-Na's goal is winning, then yeah, she made a mistake not to have retired. But, if she has some other values in skating, let her skate. Her presence doesn't hurt the sport. In the end, it is her life. What's the problem?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Tara Lipinsky said it well at the end of the Univ Sports telecast of the Ladies finals last Saturday -- in essence, Tara said that Yu-Na was the big loser of the day, despite the bronze. "Yu-Na Kim, the Olympics champion, has now competed in two Worlds since her Olympics and come up short in both. She may have wished that she had retired after having achieved her ultimate goal." [In other words, Tara was subtly saying that Yu-Na should have done as she did in 1998 -- grap the Olympic Gold and quit, to retain the mystique and queenly glory that goes with being an Oly gold medalist.] Tara was absolutely correct, IMO.
    I disagree. I don't think 2 silver medals have tarnished her image or accomplishments. I think she felt an obligation to her federation, sponsors, and supporters to compete after the Olympics, something for which Tara was criticized for not doing.

Tara loves to compete, I suspect she was forced to retire because of her hip. Yuna's heart seems to be in performing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    That performance of hers at the Worlds Gala did not look like someone's who enoys skating anymore.
    Well Yu-Na just lost her second World title in a row and was balling her eyes out on the podium stand. It's understandable if her heart wasn't into performing at the gaga exhibition. Give her some time away from this event to reflect on how she feels about competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Well Yu-Na just lost her second World title in a row and was balling her eyes out on the podium stand. .....
    Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.

Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds. Even though Sarah will always remain the 2002 Oly champ, the medal was 'tarnished' in marketing value. The elusive champ on a pedestal is she who left before she could be knocked off the pedestal (unless she was Henie or Witt, who gambled and won by returning atop the Oly pedestal...even though Witt lost Worlds to Debi Thomas in 86)!

vCash
    Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.

Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds. Even though Sarah will always remain the 2002 Oly champ, the medal was 'tarnished' in marketing value. The elusive champ on a pedestal is she who left before she could be knocked off the pedestal (unless she was Henie or Witt, who gambled and won by returning atop the Oly pedestal...even though Witt lost Worlds to Debi Thomas in 86)!
    Nothing against Tara, but she isn't exactly a skating legend. Many people view her as footnote in skating history. So I don't think her strategy of grabbing the gold and quiting paid off in either fame or fortune.

I think Michelle is better known because people have simply seen more of her. I think she is better off with her bronze and silver than Tara with her gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Nothing against Tara, but she isn't exactly a skating legend. Many people view her as footnote in skating history. So I don't think her strategy of grabbing the gold and quiting paid off in either fame or fortune.
    Don't know about fame but Tara made a lot of money off her OGM. She probably didn't make as much as MK at the end of the day (thanks in part to her career-ending hip injury), but she did well for herself.

I think Michelle is better known because people have simply seen more of her. I think she is better off with her bronze and silver than Tara with her gold.
    Not for nothing, but I was playing a Family Feud game online recently, and the question "name a famous figure skater" came up. As a longtime MK fan, I excitedly typed in "Michelle Kwan" and got the dreaded red X. Meanwhile, Tara made the list.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    With all due respect to Michelle...it's Tara (and Sarah) who will forever be enshrined in the highest of shrines in ladies figure skating -- Olympic Gold Medalist. El Ultimito...A-1 goal. Shizuka, like Tara, retired at the tippy-top of the pedestal. Ditto Oksana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Can someone in Korea comment, does she have a future in show business? That seems to be the direction she wants to go. She'll be 21 soon, is that the age in Korea where she can make her own business decisions? I look for her to break out ala Michelle Kwan.
    If she wants one. She's already signed to host a prime time reality show set to start later this month.

vCash
    Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds.
    Let's not knock her down TOO many pegs: she placed 2nd at Nats (her highest placement there ever) and got 6th at Worlds.

vCash
    I'm not the most objective source, but I just don't see a silver medal as a big tragedy. She will always be an Olympic gold medalist.

As far as Tara is concerned, she needs to be out there coaching some of those women. She would get the unmotivated motivated in a hurry! Good commentator.

vCash
    O.o She looked miserable in the gala because she took some painkiller med for her ankle and her body just had a bad reaction to it. And she's stated in interviews that she's feeling stronger now soooo...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    poor Yu Na, she really needs an holiday! take her time off, and come back when she feels..whether it'll be next 4CC or later in 2012/13.

and...coming back after a year to won a silver medal was indeed great, despite she wasn't the skater of Vancouver, but it'd have been also very difficult to come back as that so late in the season
    Maybe she can go on a vacation together with Mao, Mai and Kanako (read somewhere that Mao is planning on vacationing with Mai and Kanako). Four beautiful young ladies on holiday together !!

vCash
    Im quiet happy w/ Yuna's silver, like what she said she's satisfied w/ the result. Heck, even getting a medal at the World championship is already an accomplishment after being sidelined for 13 months.

But the girl needs a long break, minus the off ice drama.

vCash
    With all due respect to Michelle...it's Tara (and Sarah) who will forever be enshrined in the highest of shrines in ladies figure skating -- Olympic Gold Medalist. El Ultimito...A-1 goal. Shizuka, like Tara, retired at the tippy-top of the pedestal. Ditto Oksana.
    Brian Boitano ended his (re-established) amateur career being 6th at the Olympics, but that doesn't make him any less great champion. He is a legend and a great Olympic champion. It doesn't matter he was 6th or 10th, etc. Once you obtain a legendary status, you are a legend no matter when you retire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast