Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I think the Yankee Polka would be amazing. I think the Finnstep would also make a really good pattern for a SD (other rhythms could be foxtrot, charleston, jitterbug, etc)
    What other rhythms could you bring in with the Yankee? I don't know what else goes with polkas, though there are obviously lots of different kinds of polkas (just listen to variety in the ISU music for that dance!)

I actually think those two will eventually be used (hopefully sooner rather than later). Since they seem to want to match dance styles for junior and senior (and should, since a rare team competes both), the ISU is pretty much stuck with tango (Argentine/Tango Romantica), waltz (Viennese, Golden, Starlight, Austrian, Ravensburger, Westminster), Latin (Samba, CCC, Rhumba), polka (Killian/Yankee), quickstep (Quickstep/Finnstep), and blues (Blues/Midnight). I hope they actually cycle through those and don't just do waltz every third year just because there are so many of them.

vCash
    I really like Tango Romantica, so I'm okay with that one, but I hope they just limit that one to tango all the way through the program. I like the Golden Waltz by itself, but all of the Wangos and sappy contemporary Waltzes are getting really annoying to me. I think I really loved about 4 SDs this year and that was Z/G, R/T, I/K, and K/G-S. The Shibutanis was almost to the love level, but I felt like it needed a little mroe power behind it. I actually kind the Amelia part of P/Bs SD more than the Dr. Zhivago program.

I think Finnstep is going to be really fun. I actually hope the ISU will develop a few new compulsory patterns. Torville and Dean's paso would be a great one. K/O's Jive could be modified into a compulsory pattern.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I'm wondering what modern music fits the rhumba tempo. Any ideas?
    That's a really good question. Most rhumba music fits into the ballroom style, but it seems way too slow to fit the specs for an ice dance rhumba. Teams can probably select rhumba music as one of their cuts, but I don't think they could skate the pattern using it.

I don't have much of a musical ear, but from the beat requirements, "the range of tempo is 43 to 45 measures of four beats per minute (172-180 beats per minute)", would samba or cha cha music fit better for the pattern?

vCash
    Music I think fits the rhumba would be
    -La Bamba (Ritchie Valens or Los Lobos' versions)
    -Sex and the City theme
    -Low Rider by War

vCash
    All I can say is bring back the OD!

vCash
    Yay! I heart latin theme! There're so many great SDs from the past season, can't wait to see what will be brought to the table next year.

vCash
    V/M aren't going to keep their latest FD, are they? If so, they'll be doing "ballroom latin" for both the short & free dances. Even though I love 'Mujer Latina.'
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Latin. Pfff. I already envision all those junior skaters trying to be smoking hot and so.
    How I miss the old days.

Plus except the rhumba that I like quite a lot when done à la T&D, all the other dances are NOT made for ice dance at all.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    uhrrr latin dances on ice are juts so tacky (most of them) some team can have some kind of advatage like Ekena and Nikita, Madison and Greg, Tessa and Scot and some others but on the other hand...I don't know what Shins are going to do, they will have to creat a SD by other kind of perspective and not the sensual, sexy side of the dance. I can see Meryl and Charlie going for the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by L'amour View Post
    uhrrr latin dances on ice are juts so tacky (most of them) some team can have some kind of advatage like Ekena and Nikita, Madison and Greg, Tessa and Scot and some others...
    Chock and Zuerlin might as well be brother and sister with their "chemistry".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    forget about him ....I should have said juts Madison, cuz that was what i was thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Right? I honestly just took him as a gay character in the Cabaret program.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Right? I honestly just took him as a gay character in the Cabaret program.
    Well, I think that was the idea.

vCash
    This is going to be so good. I've always felt that a truly great dance team should be able to show realistic, convincing chemistry on the ice. I think that forcing this theme on the couples will really showcase who can do this and who can't. I feel for the brother/sister teams, though. There is no possible way for siblings doing these latin dances to pull them off...I fear they will either be passionless or disturbing. I'm honestly so intrigued by the idea of a non touching circular step sequence. That will probably look really good if done correctly and cleanly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    This is going to be so good. I've always felt that a truly great dance team should be able to show realistic, convincing chemistry on the ice. I think that forcing this theme on the couples will really showcase who can do this and who can't. I feel for the brother/sister teams, though. There is no possible way for siblings doing these latin dances to pull them off...I fear they will either be passionless or disturbing. I'm honestly so intrigued by the idea of a non touching circular step sequence. That will probably look really good if done correctly and cleanly.
    Right? That's why I'm so scared for the Shibs. This was an unbelievable year for them, and it would suck to see them fall behind because, well, they're human.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    All I can say is bring back the OD!
    LOL, and bring back the CD. Because when you see the perfection of those CD back in the 80's and the mediocre CD of the 2000's, you understand that Compulsories are not easy to do well. This is about perfection of the blades and the body positions. JMO.

vCash
    But those junior skaters never DID learn the true meaning of the CDs. And when your idiot coach tells you they're not worth anything, why would you even TRY to perfect them ?

CDs are dead. Let them die at least and stop using them in that awful SD.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    The good thing is that Rhumba pattern is shorter in time than Golden´s. So we´ll get to see more creative part in the short programes of next season

vCash
    I think that SD is a perfect, perfect solution.

CDs are kept, skated to more interesting music and integrated into a program.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Right? That's why I'm so scared for the Shibs. This was an unbelievable year for them, and it would suck to see them fall behind because, well, they're human.
    To quote my friend (name withheld because I don't know whether they'd like their bitching to be public ): "The Shibs have no range. Sweet and cute is all they can do. Remember their tango fail last year?"

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I think that SD is a perfect, perfect solution.

CDs are kept, skated to more interesting music and integrated into a program.

To quote my friend (name withheld because I don't know whether they'd like their bitching to be public ): "The Shibs have no range. Sweet and cute is all they can do. Remember their tango fail last year?"
    Jesus Ziggy! They're 16 and 19 and it's their 1st yr in seniors! Of course they have no range. Doesn't mean they won't get it, but you've written them off already

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast