Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

2012 Short Dance

I am interested to see what everyone thinks about next year's short dance. Here are the rules for next season.

Senior-level ice dancers will skate two sequences of the Rhumba. They can be placed anywhere in the program and do not need to be skated one after another. Skaters are allowed to choose one to three rhythms from: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Merengue. The range of tempo is 43 to 45 measures of four beats per minute (172-180 beats per minute) and must be constant.[2]

Junior-level skaters will perform two sequences of the Cha Cha Congelado. They may be skated anywhere in the program but must be one after the other. The pattern dance must be skated on the Cha Cha rhythm, with the range of tempo from 28 to 30 measures of four beats per minute (112-120 beats per minute). The tempo must be constant.[2]

Sequences must be performed in strict time to the music and step #1 of each sequence must be on a different side of the ice surface. Required elements include:

short lift
    not touching circular step sequence (senior); not touching midline step sequence (junior)
    one set of sequential twizzles
    One transitional dance lift (up to 6 seconds) and a dance spin are permitted as part of choreography but not required. The ISU stated: "The concept and choreography must produce the feeling of a unified dance." Dancers are allowed a maximum of two full stops, not exceeding 5 seconds each, or one full stop, not exceeding 10 seconds. A separation may not be more than two arms length apart
    Here is a video of the Rhumba compulsory dance with Jean Senft explaining the dance.

Here is a video of the Cha Cha Congelado which the junior teams will use.

I wasn't excited at first, but I think it will actually be fun, minus all the brother sister teams doing the rhumba.
    Last edited by Allen; 05-02-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Clueless American
    vCash
    I'm most interested in seeing the no touching circular step sequence. Sounds interesting. Not to mention the crazy costumes we'll probably get to see.

vCash
    Bring on the skimpy neon Latin costumes

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    I'm still waiting for my Yankee Polka SD.

But in seriousness, I'm so intrigued by this non-touching circular step sequence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I'm still waiting for my Yankee Polka SD.

But in seriousness, I'm so intrigued by this non-touching circular step sequence.
    ITA w/the second half. Really be a test for the unison of the senior teams :3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    I'm most interested in seeing the no touching circular step sequence.
    Me too. I want to see a serpentine non touch sequence too.

do not need to be skated one after another.
    That could be interesting too, but I see most teams just doing the sequences together.
    Last edited by casken; 05-02-2011 at 05:35 AM.

vCash
    I'm wondering what modern music fits the rhumba tempo. Any ideas?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I was excited at first, but I think it will actually be fun, minus all the brother sister teams doing the rhumba.
    But the ice dance rhumba is not is sexy like the dancefloor one. It's much more perky. I don't think they'll be the ick factor.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Are u kiddin' me? Slutty Latin costumes!!! Bring it on!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    But the ice dance rhumba is not is sexy like the dancefloor one. It's much more perky. I don't think they'll be the ick factor.
    I think I'm still traumatized by Chris Reed kissing Cathy's arms yesterday. Kieffer Hubble retired and that was the team I was really worried about.

I think the circular no touching step sequence is going to be fab. I also agree that a serpentine would be great.

I think the compulsory pattern itself is really boring. I like the Golden Waltz because it is obviously very challenging. I think Silver Samba would have been more interesting.

vCash
    Thanks for the links, may I say the Rhumba seems totally simple and flat and will feel like a waste of time in the middle of the SD? not to mention the pattern hardly has any latin vibe.. dissapointed.

Im really curious about the circular non touching sequence. I remember Castile & Okolski doing a very cute one for pairs in their SP of the 2007-2008 season but I cant find any links on youtube

vCash
    I wanna see what Elena and Nikita can do
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Here are more recent examples from 2007 Worlds.

Denkova and Staiviski
    Dubreuil and Lauzon
    Domnina & Shabalin

I can't find DelSchoes, but theirs was good too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Thanks for the links, may I say the Rhumba seems totally simple and flat and will feel like a waste of time in the middle of the SD? not to mention the pattern hardly has any latin vibe.. dissapointed.
    The Rhumba looks easy but it's difficult to do well. I definitely don't think it's as difficult as the Golden Waltz, but it's not easy - there are certainly still sections that will challenge a lot of teams.

I like the choice of a Latin theme, and seeing a circular non-touching step sequence should be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I think the compulsory pattern itself is really boring. I like the Golden Waltz because it is obviously very challenging. I think Silver Samba would have been more interesting.
    The Samba is easier than the Rhumba, not that the Rhumba is particularly difficult at that level (especially compared to the Golden!)

I'm with literaryfreak on the Yankee Polka SD, though. That would be great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I'm wondering what modern music fits the rhumba tempo. Any ideas?
    My favourite rumba track is Jose Feliciano's "Light my Fire", I know it's not too modern but there are a few out there. African Tango by Adeimus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLc-FyK5BrI) is stunning, I also saw an amazing one to Tracy Chapmans "Fast Car" but don't think it would transfer to ice very well.

vCash
    The Rhumba looks so boring. How can it feel like a Rhumba if you're skating side by side the ENTIRE time?

vCash
    V/M will already have a head start on everyone else having a latin FD this year. I hope they use parts of it as it was too good to just see once.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    The Samba is easier than the Rhumba, not that the Rhumba is particularly difficult at that level (especially compared to the Golden!)

I'm with literaryfreak on the Yankee Polka SD, though. That would be great!
    I think the Yankee Polka would be amazing. I think the Finnstep would also make a really good pattern for a SD (other rhythms could be foxtrot, charleston, jitterbug, etc)

Yes, the Samba might be a little easier, but I like it better somehow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    The Rhumba is not simple (and there's no easy compulsory at that level). It's all about edges, rhythm. The double choctaw is very difficult, because the upper body mustn't move, the edge is deep and the free leg must be tight.
    The thing is that there are not many steps. So, I agree with you, I'm afraid it will be difficult to include it in a SD with so many other steps to do beside the compulsory part !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast