Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

What does Richard Dornbush need to do to move into the top tier of men's skating?

Or do you feel like he's 'on the right track' already and it's just a matter of time and experience?

He's fresh out of Juniors, so I think he's proven a lot in little time.

He proved in worlds that in addition to good technique, he's got a decent head for competition [staying cool under pressure]. I noticed at Worlds how good both his speed and spins are, as well as the jumps

Also, is Tammy Gambill the coach that can take him to the top tier? Will he need someone to help him develop more 'flair'?

One thing I think he needs is to get at least a 4toe, which considering the jump height he gets, is doable.

What do you think???

vCash
    Top 10 at World's doesn't put you in the top tier? Man, you're tough! How big is your tier?

I'd like to keep see him doing what he's doing, as you said- he's fresh out of junior's, he just needs some time to skate with the big guys. I think a quad is necessary as well.

I hope he stays with the same coach. Having more coaches take skaters to top events helps develop the program. What will the US do when the very few elite coaches retire? Unless there is a problem, I don't see any reason for him to leave a coach that he is doing well under.

But in my mind, US Nationals podium, and top 10 at World's puts you in the top tier of skating.

vCash
    I think he has good basic skating skills already. He needs a quad and consistancy.

vCash
    I definitely think he's on the right track and just needs more experience. He has a wonderful future. His jumps are gorgeous but I agree, his speed and spins are top-notch as well. I couldn't believe how fast he was at Worlds. I didn't remember him skating that fast at Nationals but I think he had so much nervous energy that he just used it in that way. He has a lot going for him. He just needs more time and polishing. And a quad would be nice. But with as great as his jumps are, I suspect he'll have one sooner rather than later.

I hope he stays with Tammy. I know he's been with her his entire skating career but there's something to say for that. They seem to have a wonderful relationship and she's done a wonderful job teaching him. I'm really glad he got the experience to go to Worlds this year because I think that's going to benefit him greatly. He should be very encouraged by his scores and placement at Worlds. I'm looking forward to seeing what programs he has next season. Sherlock Holmes was so perfect for him. I didn't realize how invested in him I had become already until I was SO nervous to see him skate at Worlds. I know I'm already an uber for him but I think he has a lot to look forward to.

vCash
    He just needs to keep doing what he is already doing.
    His trip to Worlds will have come as a surprise even to him and he handled it magnificently.

I hope he does not feel like he is the 1st American because that would enable him to train under not too much pressure for the next season and hopefully to create interesting programs again as opposed to skating warhorse programs like Tosca that people who think they are the best of the country almost always seem to do.
    I really liked his programs this year and his personality on the ice but he skates still a bit like a junior and I am eager to see him grew into a real senior skater!

vCash
    For me, he is not better than a young Joubert.
    And as Joubert, he needs a style, he needs to be more polished.
    After all, it worked for Joubert, 2007 World champion.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Tammy Gambill should just steadily groom him to the next Olympics, adding quads while maintaining and developing his skating skills. He is at a stage in physical development when he can look forward to added strength over the next few years, which will help him.

I don't think he needs more flair per se because his programs are already rather interesting.

I don't think there is another American coach that can help Richard more than Tammy. The best American coaches right now tend to just produce good skaters rather than anything else
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Title-less
    vCash
    quad and improved skating skills to compete with Dai, Oda and the like

That said it's too early to have great expectations for Dornbush. Look at all those young and promising US men who placed top ten at worlds on their first try and now where they are (Carriere, Mroz, Rippon...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    quad and improved skating skills to compete with Dai, Oda and the like

That said it's too early to have great expectations for Dornbush. Look at all those young and promising US men who placed top ten at worlds on their first try and now where they are (Carriere, Mroz, Rippon...)
    I think Dornbush has a lot more going than those three. Mroz doesn't have great skating skills. Carriere never had the best triple axel technique. And Rippon is very inconsistent with triple axel, lacks power.

Obviously there's still time but I think technically Dornbush is a LOT stronger than those three.

vCash
    Personally, i think he's well on his way...

vCash
    I think he's just got to keep doing what he's doing. I look forward to seeing him develop.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I hope Richard begins to gain more confidence. He looked nervous before his SP at Worlds, and it was probably why he made errors on the jumps. But hopefully the silver medal at nationals and the top ten finish at Worlds will help him. He's done really well this year, and I look forward to seeing him next season.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ His nerves probably got to him a little only because he probably went a little farther (may be a lot farther) than expected. I bet he expected to only medal at Jr Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I think he has good basic skating skills already. He needs a quad and consistancy.
    Looking like the quad might not be too far off:

With the scores he has been posting so far this season, there's little doubt Dornbush can start competing with the world's best senior men. With solid jumps and emerging artistry, the only thing he lacks is a quadruple jump. That may be temporary.

"It wasn't ready for nationals, but he's started to land quad toes in practice," Gambill said. "Right now, he doesn't own the quad; he rents it."
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Keep improving and developing. He's amazing already and I can totally see him as a front runner...how soon remains to be seen but he's on track for Sochi, imo. I saw him live at Nationals and his FS was my favorite by far. I'll be rooting for him all the way.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Hasn't Dornbush's SPs been sort of problematic for him this whole season while the LPs have been stellar? He needs to deliver solid SPs with no iffy jumps' landings.

vCash
    A Sochi team of him and Jason Brown plus Adam Rippon would be my wet dream.

vCash
    I think he has good programs, skating skills and is consistent enough. He really needs a quad and I'm not sure if he does a 3A in combination with another triple yet. He's like a Patrick Chan of a few years ago - can he reach Chan's heights??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think he has good programs and is consistent enough. He really needs a quad and I'm not sure if he does a 3A in combination with another triple yet.
    He has a 3A/3T that seems to be very consistent, he was able to pull it off in the second half of his program at Worlds.

vCash
    Thanks to all.

If I was forced to pick a jump that might be oh-so-slightly weak for him, it might be the 3sal, but not by a lot. He has the whole reportoire of jumps with no danger of UR's.

So, I think if he could do a Quad, it would probably be a 4toe [maybe x2] not a 4sal, and as everyone says, the Quad will greatly help his cause.

Does he beat a revitalized Rippon on the Nats level [w/ a 3x]? How would you measure these 2 against one another?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast