Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    Of course it depends on Evan's recovery from his injury, but I'm curious as to why you say that. I guess I am just not a fan of C/Z, but I can't imagine S/B not moving ahead of them. As for the Shibs and S/B, well, I think that will be interesting. Again, this all depends on Evan's ability to train full out.

I say that because they will likely never pass Shibs . I have a feeling the USFSA will support the younger teams and dump S/B.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Also, any news on whether Evan is all recuperated and back on the ice?
    I haven't heard about him training again, but he has tweeted recently that they'll perform at the Skate for Hope charity show in Columbus in June.

I hope he's fully recovered because I like this team and am eager to see them back competing next season
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    I am anxiously awaiting their return to competitions

I see them moving ahead of C&Z back into the 3rd spot. They were a great team before S&Z's camp. I can't wait to see their improvements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    I have a feeling the USFSA will support the younger teams and dump S/B.
    That sounds so crazy. Emily and Evan are such a young team themselves! I mean, they're 20 and 22, that's still nothing for a dance team! They've been in seniors for what, 2 seasons? Madison and Greg are more or less the same age, even Alex Shibutani is 20 as well. Maia is the only real "baby" out there, but in reality all these teams, even Davis/White are still very young, so I really don't think age is gonna be a factor here. In fact, all of them could keep competing for two more Olympics and their age would still be normal for a dance team. So I guess we're just gonna have to wait for Emily and Evan's return and see, but to be honest I don't see what the Shibs have and S/B don't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    I say that because they will likely never pass Shibs . I have a feeling the USFSA will support the younger teams and dump S/B.
    Some reason to believe it won't simply depend on what the teams do on the ice?

S/B ended up ranking higher over N/B rather consistently even though S/B were (imo) much more boring, but you could see that their technical quality was just a lot higher.

It isn't as if the Shibutanis racked up big scores nationally while not doing nearly so well internationally -- they've been racking up high scores all year, from all kinds of panels of judges. I'm sure they would have done better in prior years internationally had the height discrepancy not posed such problems for their skating. Now that she's grown some more that isn't a problem, and their scores reflect that.

I'm less inclined to follow the notion that the USFSA has some vested interest in picking winners and losers outside of what happens on competition ice. Heck, there were people who insisted that they'd never allow Czisny to become national champion again after she imploded in prior years, and guess what -- there she is.

vCash
    S/B were given boring music and programs for the previous two seasons, and that held them back. Let's wait to see how they do under new coaching before writing them off.

vCash
    Look, like Shibs is now on there way to stars. Dont know, what will be with S-B now. I really love this team, but look, like they will be only third at Nationals next season.

vCash
    Loves me some KriGS.

But for S&B, who have the goods to someday be on the Worlds podium, and who I hope will be fully recovered in and get great programs for the 2011-2012 season.

Therein [to get to the thread question], I think S&B will challenge to be the USA #2, but due to the Shibs' 2011 Worlds success and equally impressive talents, not quite reach it for at least the '11-'12 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    That sounds so crazy. Emily and Evan are such a young team themselves! I mean, they're 20 and 22, that's still nothing for a dance team! They've been in seniors for what, 2 seasons? Madison and Greg are more or less the same age, even Alex Shibutani is 20 as well. Maia is the only real "baby" out there, but in reality all these teams, even Davis/White are still very young
    IKR. I remember the days when most top dance teams were 24+ How times have changed; CoP has really shook dance up - just look at worlds; all the changing of positions, and the Shibs coming 3rd at their first worlds. Almost never happened under 6.0
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 05-02-2011 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    S/B should be in the hunt for 3rd place at Nationals, assuming that Evan makes a good recovery.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I think it will be a battle for the silver medal come next January at the US Nationals with the Shibutanis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by plushenkofan View Post
    I think it will be a battle for the silver medal come next January at the US Nationals with the Shibutanis.
    It'll be interesting for sure. The Shibs have been very well received by the judges this season and I imagine they will receive very nice PCS marks at Nationals next season, especially since they are now World medalists.

I think Sam/Bates will really have to prove themselves on the GP in order to compete with S/S for the silver at Nationals.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I think Sam/Bates will really have to prove themselves on the GP in order to compete with S/S for the silver at Nationals.
    That will be hard, as they probably are going to get only one GP event---Skate America. They are in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, but they are not on the Seasons Best list which has been the qualifying criteria for all except host picks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    That will be hard, as they probably are going to get only one GP event---Skate America. They are in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, but they are not on the Seasons Best list which has been the qualifying criteria for all except host picks.
    I didn't realize. That's probably going to make things harder for them. Perhaps they can get a Senior B competition in the fall?
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    It will depend on the programs really. besides davis and white for sure, i think its a race between the Shibutani's, C/Z and S/B for the other two spots... the type of material can make or break you. They all train together so its all up to their component scores/GOE's, because working with the Z/S the technical levels will all be the same.

Also think that the SD is more specific this year as it's a Latin Combo which couples do you think can interpret this the best...

vCash
    FWIW, SamBates do Latin very well. Well, we'll just have to wait and see, there are so many factors we can't predict.

How much will Maia continue to grow? How will SamBates rebound after so much time off the ice? How will Alex and Maia handle the Latin dances, etc. Will Chock and Zuerlien overtake them both, shocking us all?

That said, I'm just so thrilled to have so many awesome American dance teams to root for.

vCash
    Without disrespecting the Shibs, I just want to point out that being a World medalist in 2007 (B&A) and 2008 (K&N) did not mean they became unbeatable. Several teams would surpass both teams in the ensuing years.

Although I foresee D&W and V&M battling it out for a little while longer, the battle for third will be a huge fight amongst many, many teams--the two Canadians, the two Russians, the French, three Americans, the Italians. Am I missing anyone else?

S&B have an excellent shot at going all the way to the top. Although not without deficiencies, their qualities are easily identifiable.

vCash
    S/B skate with deep and long edges, and the US and international judges love big skating. So, I think they might jump into third nationally. But internationally, I guess perhaps only top 10.

vCash
    I think too many people are making too much of the Shibs' bronze medal. It should be celebrated yes, and good for them for taking advantage of a great opportunity, but I'm sure the USFS is aware that had I/K, B/S, C/P, P/B performed as expected and the Kerrs, they would have been much lower. (Own personal theory--had W/P skated later on the night of the SD, they'd have made it to the final group, and their would have been two Canadians instead of two Americans on that podium.)

So really, I don't think the Shibs are that far ahead of S/B, if they're ahead at all. It's certainly not insurmountable, which is good for the long term of US ice dance. I hope the Shibs, S/B, KG/S, C/Z, and whoever's coming up the pike continue the groundwork laid by B/A.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    A World medal can do a lot for your PCS scores...I think we all know that.

And I disagree that the Shibs only won bronze by "default." All teams were relatively clean in that SD and they were placed 4th. Sure, they would've been 4th overall if P/B didn't mess up, but that's the nature of the sport.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast