Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    A World medal can do a lot for your PCS scores...I think we all know that.

And I disagree that the Shibs only won bronze by "default." All teams were relatively clean in that SD and they were placed 4th. Sure, they would've been 4th overall if P/B didn't mess up, but that's the nature of the sport.
    Agreed, and those who say the Shibs won by default do not give them credit for their consistency throughout the year. They were strong at Nebelhorn and kept up a high level of competition through a very long season. And their first as seniors to boot. I hope they can keep that level of love and discipline in their skating for many seasons to come.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    That will be hard, as they probably are going to get only one GP event---Skate America. They are in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, but they are not on the Seasons Best list which has been the qualifying criteria for all except host picks.
    There are two criteria for being guaranteed one pick other than a host pick, and one of them doesn't require a season's best score this season -- this is from this year's announcement:

b) Skaters/couples with an ISU World Standing placement of 1 – 24 (after season 2009/10) and skaters/couples with seasonal best scores in the top 24 (for season 2009/10) who do not hold an ISU World Standing placement of 1 – 24 will be guaranteed one (1) event if they do not otherwise meet the
    listed in paragraphs 2.1 or 2.2 above.
    If by "after season 2009/10" (translated to 2010/11) they mean the snapshot of world standings now, then Samuelson/Bates, who are ranked 17th, will be guaranteed one spot, even if not chosen for Skate America. If they mean at the beginning of next season, when 2009 points are dropped and 2010 points are factored by 70%, then S/B will drop out of the top 24 with only 750 points and can only qualify through a host pick.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by newbatgirl View Post
    Agreed, and those who say the Shibs won by default do not give them credit for their consistency throughout the year. They were strong at Nebelhorn and kept up a high level of competition through a very long season. And their first as seniors to boot. I hope they can keep that level of love and discipline in their skating for many seasons to come.
    Yeah, a lot of people carrying on about their "suddenly" high PCS , in fact those heeheeing and at their scoring at US Nationals, didn't realize that they came out of the gate with PCS getting up into the high 7's at their very first senior int'l competition at Nebelhorn (in the FD, they'd had a very disruptive fall in the SD). They weren't that far off P/B's FD score there...certainly close enough that they could overcome a huge mistake, as happened at worlds. They had a couple of rough SD outings early in the season, but when they skated cleanly, they've been scored consistently very well by the int'l and US panels.

US dance will, as its been for the past few seasons, will be a event at Nationals next season.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    US dance will, as its been for the past few seasons, will be a event at Nationals next season.
    I love that. Especially since it was SO predictable for so long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Some reason to believe it won't simply depend on what the teams do on the ice?

Because I've been watching U.S. dance longer than many who hopped on the bandwagon when B/A came around

Seriously though, S/B are technically young in age number but have already been to worlds and olympics multiple times, and while have been decently received by the international judges, it's no where near the reception that the Shibs just got. Yes, I know teams have retired since the olympics, ect. But does any one think really think the USFSA will favor them over the world bronze medalists? NON. The shibs will have to either make a major mistake, or S/B will have to have better international results than the Shibs in order for that to happen.

I LOVE S/B and I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see them getting any higher than 3rd at nationals next year. Regardless I hope they have two programs and that they come back better than ever!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123