Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Any particular reason? I don't know much about Pam Gregory, except that she coached Kimmie to the 2006 World title.
    Her treatment of Kimmie and her comments re: MK..not to mention her lovely disposition in Hartford in 06.

vCash
    Sleeping with students must be the trend lately?
    Morozov is loooking for some kind of guiness record or to strike Vasiliev's? :p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Sleeping with students must be the trend lately?
    Morozov is loooking for some kind of guiness record or to strike Vasiliev's? :p
    I think that's an old tradition, if some of the archives dish is true....

vCash
    ^really? just dont tell me tarasova was sleeping with yagudin cause i ll flip!

vCash
    I've never got why Frank Carroll is so beloved; he always struck me as being a bit...crotchety. And a tad...uptight. I can't say I "dislike" him though.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Her treatment of Kimmie and her comments re: MK..not to mention her lovely disposition in Hartford in 06.
    What's the story with Pam Gregory?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

What's the story with Pam Gregory?
    Kwaniacs don't like her because she said something like Kimmie won't skate "safe" like Kwan. Kwaniacs took that comment way too seriously as per usual.

There was also criticism that she didn't comfort Kimmie in the Kiss N Cry when she had that epic meltdown at Nationals.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I've never got why Frank Carroll is so beloved; he always struck me as being a bit...crotchety. And a tad...uptight. I can't say I "dislike" him though.
    Well, he is well over retirement age and he did not start getting much attention until he was over 50 except around 1980, when he was in his 40s.

vCash
    Morozov is too funny to be disliked! Mishin acts tough but is a funny character.

I vote for Robin Wagner now. My dear namesake (Frau M herself) in the past.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm glad this is in the Trash Can. The whole premise of this thread is certainly trashy!!! Surely we could have done some armchair critiquing of coaches in a less slimy way??

Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I don't think I can say I dislike anyone! After all, I don't know personally any of those coaches. And I respect all of them for their abilities.
    Yes, "disliked" was probably the wrong word to use in the thread title as most of us have never met coaches we wish would work in a different way with their students. And seeing a thirty second clip on TV at some event does not give us a very thorough insight into a person's character.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I'm not sure I get the point of this thread. Why are these coaches worthy of contempt? The only reason you even know their names is because they have had many successful skaters. Very few coaches have a skater go to Nationals, let alone more than one.
    Maybe the thread title should have been "Annual FSU Coach Bitchfest".
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Could not have said it better myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm glad this is in the Trash Can. The whole premise of this thread is certainly trashy!!! Surely we could have done some armchair critiquing of coaches in a less slimy way??

Yes, "disliked" was probably the wrong word to use in the thread title as most of us have never met coaches we wish would work in a different way with their students. And seeing a thirty second clip on TV at some event does not give us a very thorough insight into a person's character.

Maybe the thread title should have been "Annual FSU Coach Bitchfest".

vCash
    I remember when Carroll wasn't always "Mr. Lovable." Back in the late 70s/early 80s, when he was coaching Fratianne, he was quite vocal and 'bitchy' about Carlo Fassi's politiks and influence among Euro skaters, especially about his hob-nobbing with German speaking judges and officials at ISU parties. Carroll implied, if not said outright, that Carlo made a deal with German-speaking officials to support Annet Poetsch over Fratianne, in turn for support for his student Robin Cousins. Even if this was correct, I remember how Frank's complaints came across initially as petty whining. Of course, I totally love and forgive him all of that now, 30+ yrs later.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Morozov is too funny to be disliked!.
    Yeah, his jokes about wanting to blow up Japan with a nuclear blast were extremely hilarious
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I think the reason why so many like Frank Carroll is because he is always quite well-spoken...if not occasionally outspoken. He has always appeared as a good medium between the task master and confidant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I think that's an old tradition, if some of the archives dish is true....
    Eys, such as one that won't die about a certain U.S. men's national champion and his coach. And yes, very old indeed. Vasiliev and Morozov are not the first, and won't be the last. Honestly, I have no problem with coach/student relationships as long as the student (or the coach for that matter) are both of age. Though IIRC, isn't that technically forbidden under USFSA rules? Or am I mistaken?

I faintly remember a Michelle/Scott Williams rumor going around back in 2003. I know many here find Scott incredibly good looking, but I actually thought he was quite unattractive.

vCash
    Oh yeah, I remember Callaghan screwing his underage students now. :/

What's he doing nowadays? Used to have a number of top skaters but not heard anything about him for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Sorry... what happened in Hartford? Either my memory bank is failing me or I never heard about it. IIRC Kimmie won silver at Skate America that year.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    OT:
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    ... I know many here find Scott incredibly good looking, but I actually thought he was quite unattractive.
    Scott Williams is actually very attractive, IMO, if not a total hearthrob. BTW, Scott was reportedly more of a confidant than a coach to Kwan.

A pic with Kwan and some of Scott's yummy skating in his younger days:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=178

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aMG8sDyZ7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8at4FSsN7m0&NR=1
    (interesting addendum at end of this clip re Chris Bowman selected for 1986 Worlds by USFSA over Daniel Doran who came in 3rd at Nats--due to Chris having an injury)
    ETA: And , a guy named Tom Zakrajsek came in 12th at this competition.

Scott W "melts the ice" with this show routine to Truly, Madly, Deeply Ooooh what a sexy vibe he sustains throughout ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VYrbBj_MY&NR=1 Love the signature barrel rolls and the face forward slide (or should I say pelvis forward slide) near the end. Kudos to choreographer, Brian Wright. Great comment from the poster who said she's known Scott since he was a kid, and that he's "one of the coolest people on this Earth! ... May you leave such a legacy."

And this -- wow! Some may not find this performance attractive, but it has a raw appeal:
    http://www.tauntr.com/content/scott-...-figure-skater

Nice interview: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2002/012303.shtml
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-07-2011 at 07:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Or much therapy, it seems. I vote for her. That 04 Worlds fluff piece of her talking to Sasha Cohen, "YOU LOOK SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY TODAY", like she was a goddamned Pomeranian on her lap. I was waiting for her to rub Sasha' belly and give her a Milk Bone .
    That's funny!

vCash
    I thought Sash said the "you look pretty today" thing to Robin? Not 100% sure as I'm too lazy to double check

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    OT:

Scott Williams is actually very attractive, IMO, if not a total hearthrob.

snip
    Meh. He just doesn't do it for me...at all. But to each his own!

vCash
    Continuing OT, sorry this is not the best place ...
    ^^ True, IceJunkie, to each his own! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyways, I have to thank you for mentioning Scott Williams, as it prompted me to check the Internet for photos and clips of him, and I found videos of him skating that I hadn't seen before! Sure, Scott W is not the most handsome guy in the world, but attractiveness is often more about what comes from within and is projected outward and expressed through one's skating, words, actions, the life you lead. Scott W obviously has great joy for skating and gave it his all during his amateur and professional careers. He has surely given many fans lots of pleasurable memories/ moments through his skating (not to mention all the things he has done for the sport). I also appreciate what Scott W said about Michelle Kwan, which is so eloquent and true: The most exquisite quality Michelle has to offer is that she's not afraid to skate with her heart and soul. This takes a great deal of courage and is very rare. It doesn't come simply from technique, but rather from the way a person handles everything in their life.

Another plus I must thank you for IceJunkie, is that finding the clips of Scott Williams' skating performances also gave me the wonderful opportunity to remember his choreographer, Brian Wright, and to appreciate what Brian gave to the skating community and to the people who loved him. I found this touching tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNBpn3NUcw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123