Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    And you know he pushed her? You know it was his decision? You know the extent of the injury?
    Of course I do not KNOW for sure..but one has to admit the two situations are awfully coincidental. Let's get real here though, Rachael has had a nagging injury ALL season. It's been hot and cold the whole time and it was hot this week. The bottom line is, she knew she was in trouble before she even left for the event and she pushed herself to go. In pressure situations, these injuries tend to flare up and that's just what happened. I guess I just wish Rachael & Co. could have thought about her history this year (e.g. GPF) and what kind of consequences traveling so far away for such a high pressure situation could have had.

vCash
    rfisher - You're right about the timing and I am making an assumption she knew very well about the injury beforehand.

Oh well if it was her last Worlds, I can excuse her but only under the condition she never competes again.

vCash
    How would the U.S.'s spots for next year have been determined if she had withdrawn after the SP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    How would the U.S.'s spots for next year have been determined if she had withdrawn after the SP?
    Alissa would have to be top 8 for 2 spots, or in the top 2 for 3 spots, I believe. Obviously, 2 spots was very doable. Would it have added pressure? Possibly. I'm not happy Rachael came to the comp., but I'm happy that once she was there, she stuck it out. WD-ing while there would have been the worst possible situation.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    If TZ ignored a serious injury and kept the facts from USFSA what can USFSA do? Is there any sanctions that can be enforced? As political as this would be we may never know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Alissa would have to be top 8 for 2 spots, or in the top 2 for 3 spots, I believe. Obviously, 2 spots was very doable. Would it have added pressure? Possibly. I'm not happy Rachael came to the comp., but I'm happy that once she was there, she stuck it out. WD-ing while there would have been the worst possible situation.
    Top 10 for 2 spots and top 2 for 3 spots for a single skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    If TZ ignored a serious injury and kept the facts from USFSA what can USFSA do? Is there any sanctions that can be enforced? As political as this would be we may never know.
    Phil Hersh contacted one of USFSA's head honchos, David Raith, who said he was unaware there was any injury to Flatt. He also told Hersh he would text Rachael & Co. "immediately" to find out what was going on. I'm not really sure what could be done since a lot of the details are unknown/concealed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Top 10 for 2 spots and top 2 for 3 spots for a single skater.
    Wouldn't it be top 8 though since Rachael would just be given 20 pts. for withdrawing? Or would they ignore her completely and just count Czisny's performances?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Wouldn't it be top 8 though since Rachael would just be given 20 pts. for withdrawing? Or would they ignore her completely and just count Czisny's performances?
    I don't think a skater are given points for withdrawing, as they don't have a result at that competition, it's simply treated as if they were never there. I might be wrong though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't think a skater are given points for withdrawing, as they don't have a result at that competition, it's simply treated as if they were never there. I might be wrong though.
    Yeah. Idk for sure either..it's an interesting question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Ryan Bradley skated with a broken bone at last year's Worlds, Joshua Farris also finished his LP at Sr Nationals on a broken ankle...all Tom Z students. I never was a big fan of Rachael Flatt, but I'm sorry this is how her last Worlds outing would end.

Ryan's injury was public knowledge.. USFSA could have "pulled him"

Now, for all we know USFSA knew about Rachel's injury too. They generally seem to let the skater and his/her team make the decision to skate or not skate.

(I realize that Phil Hersh says is now being quoted which has me When folks don't like what he says he's horrid and now he's a good source... I don't think Phil's interview with one person is exactly "conclusive" )

vCash
    Didn't Rachael also skate injured at the GPF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    Didn't Rachael also skate injured at the GPF?
    Yes (she was fighting tendonitis), and it went about as well as Worlds went for her. That's what makes me angry with Rachael's team. They already knew from prior events of the season that she couldn't compete well with that kind of an injury.

vCash
    Why wouldn't first alternates, or for that matter all alternates, get visas just in case? After all, being an alternate means possibly having to make the trip on short notice.

vCash
    If the injury was indeed aggravated after the SP, there is nothing the USFSA could have done to get another skater there. I think it likely she thought she could manage just like Michelle thought she could do it in Torino. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Only the person on the ice knows.
    It was not aggravated in the sp, it had been nagging for quite some time. In the interview right after her sp, she said she was contemplating replacing the lutz with a loop. Team Flatt let the USA down big time by not carefully monitoring Rachael's health and making sure she was fit to compete in a world championships. If this doesn't end the ridiculous love affair that the USFSA has with Rachael and Tom Z I don't know what will. I lost a lot of respect for Tom and Rachael over this championship and I didn't have much respect for them to begin with. The way they handled this competition was downright embarrassing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Now, for all we know USFSA knew about Rachel's injury too. They generally seem to let the skater and his/her team make the decision to skate or not skate.
    Yup, that was my point. Tom Z has a pretty long history of making questionable decisions when it comes to his skaters 'playing hurt.'

vCash
    Evan Lysacek won the 2009 World Championships with a stress fracture to his left foot. The foot began bothering him after 4CC and was diagnosed shortly before the WC.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Evan Lysacek won the 2009 World Championships with a stress fracture to his left foot. The foot began bothering him after 4CC and was diagnosed shortly before the WC.
    Well, one fracture isn't like the other, innit...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Xue Shen was injured when she won a World's championship. IIRC, it was her foot or ankle. MK competed with a stress fx in her foot.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Xue Shen was injured when she won a World's championship. IIRC, it was her foot or ankle. MK competed with a stress fx in her foot.
    Like I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, one fracture isn't like the other, innit...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast