Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

RSF forcing Russian coaches to coach only Russians until Sochi

It has been discussed in the Worlds forum that the RSF has stipulated that Russian coaches who live in Russia cannot coach non-Russian students in the run-up to Sochi. Assuming this is true, who does it affect? The only people I can think of are Pechalat/Bourzat and Morozov's students. Any idea where these people would go? I really do not see Amodio or Ando leaving Morozov, and I'm surprised that Morozov actually agreed to this condition. The RSF must have paid him a buttload of money.

Are any other skaters/coaches affected by this rule?

vCash
    Pechalat/Bourzat were leaving in any case but train with another Russian coach who fortunately does not live in Russia, Krylova.
    The only ones affected are Morozov's students.

vCash
    If that's true, it's shocking. Welcome back to Soviet Russia.

Russian skating BENEFITS from having those skaters. Imagine being a young Ice Dance team training with Pechalat/Bourzat every day.

There are a lot of skaters, representing the former Soviet Republics, which would be affected.

Out of the better known skaters:
    Pechalat/Bourzat
    Cappellini/LaNotte
    Javier Fernandez
    Florent Amodio
    Miki Ando
    other Morozov skaters

vCash
    Here is Elena VAITSEKHOVSKAYA's article:

Moscow lowering the “ice curtain?”

Russian version
    http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur.../reviews/13360

English version
    http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/51660.html

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If that's true, it's shocking. Welcome back to Soviet Russia.
    No kidding. How exactly do they plan to enforce this? Trip to the Gulag?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Can anyone post a link (and maybe a translation) to any sources for this?

Elene Gedevanshvili has just started training with Morozov (or is just about to do so). It seems unlikely that Morozov would take her on as a new trainee under these circumstances, unless the plan is for them to leave Russia again.

I have been wondering about how Javier Fernández and Florent Amodio feel about training together now that they are both podium contenders at Euros and in the Top Ten at Worlds. Even if the Russian Federation will let Morozov train them, it's possible that one of them (Fernández, I would think) would want to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Are any other skaters/coaches affected by this rule?
    Elena Tchaikovskaia is one of the coaches the Belarussian ice dance couple Lesia Valadzenkava & Vitali Vakunov. I suspect there are a few others in similar circumstances.

YEAH!
    vCash
    The Russian fed is looking increasingly desperate. I think Sochi is going to backfire on them big time, except in pairs (at least I hope the Russian pairs don't get f*cked over).

I hope they at least drop that rule after Sochi. Many of the coaches will choose "No Russians" over "only Russians" and then you will get another Marina/Igor situation. And I agree that training alongside skaters such as P&B is helpful to the young generation of Russian skaters.

I'd rather they try carrots instead of sticks: create a supportive and comfortable environment for any Russian coaches who wish to repatriate, and perhaps offer financial incentives to lower level coaches to coach Russians only, so that way they never leave in the first place.

vCash
    Well, they have point though. If you use state resources and asked to advance country sport, it is reasonable expectation to not waste his/her time and attention on competition.
    Otherwise state in Hackensack and do whatever the hell you want.

vCash
    I do wonder what Ando will do. I wonder if she's still taking next year off? Perhaps she will return in 2013 with a new coach?

Isn't it confirmed that Amodio is leaving?

vCash
    didn't Elene G just move to Morosov? This doesn't make sense.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    didn't Elene G just move to Morosov? This doesn't make sense.
    I guess the Russian fed can make an exception for her. It's not like she's a threat to anyone.

vCash
    From the article:

The leadership’s logic is simple: Sochi Olympics is around the corner, so everyone is needed to work exclusively with Russian skaters.

In this light, it’s hard not to think of good intentions and where a road paved by them often leads. Indeed, the consequences of such a move could prove disastrous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Well, they have point though. If you use state resources and asked to advance country sport, it is reasonable expectation to not waste his/her time and attention on competition.
    Yes but will these type of rules really encourage some of the coaches to move back? And they need some of those coaches to work with other skaters. I must say in the coaching department its not like its really been a too way street. With Russian skaters benefiting from foreign coaches. And I do wish some of their skaters would get other choregraphy. (Sure though some of the coaches benefited from working with America)

This being said it really is kind of a fair point if your going to be taking money from us, and using resources, then you should focus on our skaters.

vCash
    Whilst this reasoning is definitely valid, it might backfire terribly when - as you said - coaches are going to get jobs in US, Canada or Europe.

But yes, let's remember that a lot of public money is being invested in skating in Russia.

pp55 - Thank you very much for that article link.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Yes but will these type of rules really encourage some of the coaches to move back? And they need some of those coaches to work with other skaters. I must say in the coaching department its not like its really been a too way street. With Russian skaters benefiting from foreign coaches. And I do wish some of their skaters would get other choregraphy. (Sure though some of the coaches benefited from working with America)

This being said it really is kind of a fair point if your going to be taking money from us, and using resources, then you should focus on our skaters.
    I agree that some not-to-be-named Russian skaters could benefit from Lori Nichols or David Wilsons. But Russian training system is different and I hardly imagine that scenario when Mishin or Moskvina would allow such collaborations. Besides, there is an abundance of great choreographers in Russia, such as Cherneshov, Petukhov, Krylova and so on. I just wish Tchaykovskayas of Russian Figure Skating could just retire already and give way for younger and creative coaches and choreographers.

However, Voitsekohskaya's article reads to me as pure speculation rether than fact. She is also known to stretch the truth.

vCash
    I agree that some not-to-be-named Russian skaters could benefit from Lori Nichols or David Wilsons. But Russian training system is different and I hardly imagine that scenario when Mishin or Moskvina would allow such collaborations.
    Tom Dickson choreographed Lutai's programs for last season.

But this was probably the only time I've seen a foreign choreographer work for a Russian skater.

vCash
    Tom Dickson choreographed Lutai's programs for last season.

But this was probably the only time I've seen a foreign choreographer work for a Russian skater.
    And where is Lutai now?

vCash
    Whilst this reasoning is definitely valid, it might backfire terribly when - as you said - coaches are going to get jobs in US, Canada or Europe.

pp55 - Thank you very much for that article link.
    Perhaps a better compromise would be you can work with non Russians, but no non Russian that is a real threat to our current stars. For example, no Tarasova you can't take Mao when she may be a threat to Adelina or Tuktamysheva.

I really don't think thats completely unfair.

I mean in fairness I actually can understand why the Russian Federation IS frustrated. Weren't all but one of the top 10 dance teams at the Olympics coached by Russian/Soviet trained coaches. Asada/Ando have used Russian coaches for awhile. Arakawa having Russian coaches. While it was a help for sure being able to have skaters train in America, its not like the rest of the world has been so generous with their coaches for Russian skaters, or the Russians have used them.

I DO wish the Russian singles skaters would use some foreign choregraphers.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    No kidding. How exactly do they plan to enforce this? Trip to the Gulag?
    It doesn't have to be so severe Just don't hand out any visas.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    It doesn't have to be so severe Just don't hand out any visas.
    I know, I was being . But still, it's an extreme measure.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast