Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I suspect D/W. I would have also said V/M, but they probably don't want this to be their last season, since they practically didn't compete. And Worlds in 2 years are in Canada, so who knows. But D/W have achieved all there is, and with the Shibs coming up, it would seem like a good time to call it a career. And I'm sure both of them want to go back to school and finish their degrees.
    I disagree. Yes, they'll be pushed, but I don't think we'll see retirements from either V&M or D&W. They are still very young, and still have alot to learn. I can't wait until next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    D/W would be crazy not to, the three spots next year could be easily filled by Shibs, Sam/Bates and Chock/Zir...
    NO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Even if P/B skated well and earned bronze, S/S would have been 4th which is no small feat for a team debuting at Senior Worlds!

I do agree with you saying that D/W should continue on. It seemed as though they could never place above a clean V/M and now that it happened once, perhaps they will gain a bit of momentum. S/S are still far from them..they have nothing to worry about.
    I am not sure a "clean" one shot V&M is the best standard. They need to beat them fair and square when both teams are at their best.

vCash
    I want Kim to stay, if only for selfish reasons. Sochi with Kim, a better Mao, Miki, Adelina, Liza plus the Americans, Kostner and a few others could be AMAZING.

However, I'm not sure about Yu-Na. Her heart, quite understandably doesnt seem in it. She's been under so much pressure, for so long, and achieved pretty much everything, that I sense the bubble has really burst for her. I have my doubts as to whether she has the strength, or desire, to get back that intensity back.

vCash
    For selfish reason I want Yuna to stay. Simply because her LP has a potential.

But the reality is I just want Yuna to enjoy her life. Like she said she wanted to travel, go to college this time, etc.

vCash
    ok.. mao is NOT retiring.... she is reworking her techinique solely for sochi... so that rumor or wish is not going to happen... D/W i highly doubt will retire.. theyve only been on top of the game, with V/M for 2 years.. they have a lot they can still win, and im sure one being the olympics... ando is taking next year off to rest and prepare for 2014, so she has no plans to retire... kostner said she doesnt want to retire without winning an olympic medal... not to mention she is having her knee surgery after this season then preparing for sochi....fumie, which she should retire, but she has said she plans to continue... why i dont know?!!

flatt should retire,... but i dunno.... i guess we will see... she will continue to sink in the standings... this year was most likely her last chance to claim any sort of world medal....so i do hope she moves on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I totally disagree with those who say Davis & White will or should retire. The Shibutanis arent even close to them now, the point margins are still huge. Not to take anything away from the Shibutanis achievement, but their medal was only made possible by a disaesterous performance by the French, and even then they barely won it. P/B on a good day would have been miles above them, yet both D/W and V/M are in turn miles above a good P/B. It is by no means certain the Shibutanis would pass D/W by 2014, in fact I find it unlikely to happen. I
    2007 Worlds
    3 Tanith Belbin / Benjamin Agosto 195.43
    7 Meryl Davis / Charlie White 179.14

Difference 16.29

2011 Worlds
    1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE 185.27
    3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI 163.79

Difference 21.48

Are those extra 5 points really that insurmountable?

vCash
    I know she wasn't at worlds, but what Akiko Suzuki?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I know she wasn't at worlds, but what Akiko Suzuki?
    I believe she plans on competing next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    2007 Worlds
    3 Tanith Belbin / Benjamin Agosto 195.43
    7 Meryl Davis / Charlie White 179.14

Difference 16.29

2011 Worlds
    1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE 185.27
    3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI 163.79

Difference 21.48

Are those extra 5 points really that insurmountable?
    Now, I really don't think that it's fair to suggest that Belbin/Agosto then would even be in the same league as D/W and V/M are now. Don't get me wrong, B/A were great skaters, but the level that D/W and V/M are skating at now is truly exceptional. I'm not saying its impossible for S/S to move ahead of D/W in the next four years, but it would take a dramatic improvement on their part, one that I don't think all that many teams are capable of making. V/M and D/W have set quite a standard IMO. I hope that both teams stay until Sochi and continue to push each other. They could truly bring the sport to a new level.

vCash
    ^que bom! obrigado

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    ^que bom! obrigado
    Não tens de quê.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Now, I really don't think that it's fair to suggest that Belbin/Agosto then would even be in the same league as D/W and V/M are now. Don't get me wrong, B/A were great skaters, but the level that D/W and V/M are skating at now is truly exceptional. I'm not saying its impossible for S/S to move ahead of D/W in the next four years, but it would take a dramatic improvement on their part, one that I don't think all that many teams are capable of making. V/M and D/W have set quite a standard IMO. I hope that both teams stay until Sochi and continue to push each other. They could truly bring the sport to a new level.
    Technically S/S are more than capable. However I am eager to see how versatile can they get. Somehow I doubt that we are going to see anything more than the cute programs they do now. I hope but there are too many limitations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I thought Miki had said something about taking next season off? I can understand that. She's been skating at the international level for 10 years, and could go out on a high note.

More importantly - are the Van der Corkells going to retire? Finally?
    Well... I might have to disappoint you. About Kevin that is. We heard all year that he would stop after this season. But since he's back with his belgian coach, he was thinking about staying on "for one more year".

Of course - that was before his Worlds result with which he was a tad disappointed. So: who knows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Seeing how Kim was tearing up on the medal podium, I have a strong hunch she will be very motivated to return next season and reclaim her world crown (but please don't use David Wilson ). I can't imagine she is satisfied with losing Worlds back to back like this.
    I agree. I can see something ala Michelle Kwan in 1999.
    Yu-Na just saw that it would have been really, really easy for her to win here if more prepared. So, I hope she'll be back next season, for the entire season.

vCash
    I disagree with who says D/W are going to retire: I think they could go till Sochi.

As for Mao, she was reworking, then her coach said that the delay affected her negatively, and knowing what a fighter she is I really can't think of her retiring. I hope she goes too until Sochi, and I see her coming back stronger next year.

Also Yu Na, I think that what affected more her in this worlds was emotions, so I see her coming stronger. I don't know if she'll take another year of pause (she seemed so tired and stressed) and come back an year later, but she'll come back IMO.

for me, I'll bet only on Pang / Tong (come back à la Shen/Zhao in 2014?)

vCash
    Is Jenna really skating till Sochi?? what a brave girl...she must truly love it! She's losing her triples, but she keeps fighting!

vCash
    What about Brian Joubert? Tomas Verner? They have strong contenders within their own countries, will they retire now? Has Alban Preaubert retired after not making the French team again this year?

For ladies, Perhaps Carolina Kostner wants to end her career with a medal? And Vanessa Marchei? Did she retire? Is that why she was not Italy's #2 this year? I thought she competed earlier this season.

In pairs, I see Kavaguti retiring before the Olympics. I actually see Smirnov joining Bazarova. Smirnov (27) is 2 years older than Larionov (25), but I see that switch happening. Bazarova/ Smirnov would be a great team, I think.

I would have said Pechalat/ Bourzat would be the next ice dance team to retire, but they will probably stay and try for a medal next year. I hope so anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paulee View Post
    What about Brian Joubert? Tomas Verner? They have strong contenders within their own countries, will they retire now? Has Alban Preaubert retired after not making the French team again this year?

I would have said Pechalat/ Bourzat would be the next ice dance team to retire, but they will probably stay and try for a medal next year. I hope so anyway.
    With World championships in France next season, Joubert and Pechalat&Bourzat said they will stay for at least another season.
    Alban Preaubert did not retire. I guess he wanted Joubert and Amodio to skate well enough to have 3 spots at Worlds next season...too bad !

vCash
    Ladies: Rachael Flatt to go to Stanford, but I'm not sure who else. I think Alissa and Carolina will continue on, as will Asada and Kim but I never questioned Asada and Kim continuing really. Cynthia Phaneuf might retire - I didn't think so before, but then someone on Golden Skate message board said that they thought she said that herself on CBC. I didn't hear so I'm not sure. I can't think of any other ladies who would retire right now.

Men: Maybe Van der Perren, probably Bradley again, and maybe Contesti but my hunch is Contesti will continue. Schultheiss might retire because he was thinking of it already this season and he skated poorly at this Worlds.

Pairs: I think Kavaguti/Smirnov will hang around for one more year and I heard Pang/Tong decided to stay on after all. I think Evora/Ladwig might retire, but most of the top pairs are pretty new right now.

Dance: I HOPE Pechalat/Bourzat don't retire and I guess they won't; they are changing coaches instead. A lot of the dance teams are pretty young so I can't think of anyone else who will leave. I think people saying Davis/White are going to leave are wrong. They probably are more likely to stay now that they have beaten Virtue and Moir for a world title.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast