Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    One thing that Meryl could use is a voice coach. More and more, she has become the spokesman for the team. That high-pitched little-girl voice has to go.

Don't get me wrong---I love Meryl and Charlie, and I think her facial expressions are fine. It's the voice that is grating on my nerves.
    Well, wth is she supposed to do about her voice? It is what it is. That's not an affectation, it's just the way she talks. People can't help how their larynx's work.

I work with an excellent doctor who is a tall, imposing man. But when he opens his mouth, out comes this soft, high-pitched voice that is so jarring because you don't expect that to come out of him. Certainly there is such a thing as voice coaches but I really don't think you can change it that much. About the only thing I could see her doing is try not to go up in pitch at the end of her sentences but that's hard to do when you have a certain way of talking that you've done probably most of your life.

I know I'm an uber fan but I did meet her in person and she's a lovely, gracious young woman.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Well, wth is she supposed to do about her voice? It is what it is. That's not an affectation, it's just the way she talks. People can't help how their larynx's work.

I work with an excellent doctor who is a tall, imposing man. But when he opens his mouth, out comes this soft, high-pitched voice that is so jarring because you don't expect that to come out of him. Certainly there is such a thing as voice coaches but I really don't think you can change it that much. About the only thing I could see her doing is try not to go up in pitch at the end of her sentences but that's hard to do when you have a certain way of talking that you've done probably most of your life.

I know I'm an uber fan but I did meet her in person and she's a lovely, gracious young woman.
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I actually like Meryl's voice? I think it adds to her very sweet image, and it just suits her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I actually like Meryl's voice? I think it adds to her very sweet image, and it just suits her.
    I think it suits her, too, actually. She is a Disney princess after all.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I don't get why people are getting down on Meryl for being emotionless. From the screencaps I saw girl is looking pretty fierce. Now, Charlie on the other hand needs to get his shit together, love the kid but sometimes I feel like he thinks he's dancing with a doll and not a real girl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post

I have no doubt that Meryl is a wonderful person.

But it IS possible for her and the doctor you mentioned to improve their speaking voices, and it is possible for the improvement to be drastic. It takes only the desire to improve and the willingness to practice exercises given by a vocal coach-therapist.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I have a feeling that Meryl has other priorities in her life right now.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Alissa Czisny has now said she will stay at least one more season.
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Oh - be still my heart! Where did you find this information. I am so excited for her (and me).
    Hersh mentioned this in his blog article on the Worlds Ladies FS.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-07-2011 at 11:54 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Sylvia;3174980]I have a feeling that Meryl has other priorities in her life right now.

What are Meryl's other priorities? Does she have a boyfriend?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Sorry, all I meant by my was that I am assuming Meryl's off season plans most likely don't include improving her speaking voice, that's all.

vCash
    Leave Meryl and her voice alone! I admit, I was a bit surprised when I first heard her speak, simply because her voice doesn't match her exoticly ethereal face (IMO) but it doesn't matter. As someone who was teased ENDLESSLY for their voice (I was thought to be ridiculously "posh" all throughout school, and was pretty much mocked every time I opened my mouth for five years in school) I know this can be a very sensitive subject. It totally eroded my confidence and was the main reason I HATED school. And I know there's voice coaching n all that, but even if you did want to change your voice, it isn't that easy. God knows I tried. ANYWAY, I'm not gonna go all Oprah Winfrey on you all; I just think this is a subject too personal and too far, even for FSU.
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 05-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678