Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Poor Miki Ando, not only does she have a creepy older coach/boyfriend but she has a crazy stalker fan in Lainerb.

Pashafan I actually do like Pechalat & Bourzat alot and was very dissapointed when they fell and gave away a certain medal this year. I just cant see them ever overtaking teams like V&M or D&W at this point though. Those teams were already over them at their debut Worlds 4 years ago, are much younger, and P&B even with their recent improvements have made no inroads on either since, except for D/W briefly in the 07-08 season but that seems an eternity ago now. I do agree D&W are overmarked on PCS though. I dont think they in anyway merit the highest PCS but that is just me. Technically they are so much stronger than P&B though I couldnt see P&B ever beating them even with PCS marked very differently. And V&M are just superior all the way around.

I do hope they can atleast hold off the younger couples next year and medal at home. That would be a great way to end (likely) their careers.

vCash
    Sorry to interrupt this lovely discussion but I think haribobo was asking about skaters who are actually retiring after this season.

So far the only ones who are 100% confirmed are:

Sinead Kerr/John Kerr
    Federica Faiella/Massimo Scali

Alissa Czisny has now said she will stay at least one more season.

Daisuke Takahashi said he's going to continue skating until Sochi.

If anybody hears of any other confirmed retirements, please post here.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Wasn't the panel of judges primarily European?

Maybe the panels of judges just prefer clean execution more now? (Back in the late 1990 it was pretty clear that the panels of judges valued speed and edging in the compulsory dances more than exactly correct steps, so perhaps this is another shift.)
    D/W skated a weak SD, with a mistake on the twizzles.

They weren't marked down for it, though, and in general their SD marks seemed based on reputation alone.

I'd definitely have them outside the top 3 in the SD.

No complaints about the FD result, though. They were clearly top of the field. My GOE and PCS marks would be way lower but I'd definitely have them first.

(PashaFan talked about P/B being better in the SD hence my comments)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Or who is the prettiest. I pick Korpi!
    Haha yeah...it will be beauty peagent on ice...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Poor Miki Ando, not only does she have a creepy older coach/boyfriend but she has a crazy stalker fan in Lainerb.
    You are saying that because you know you were wrong about Miki. Grow up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Sorry to interrupt this lovely discussion but I think haribobo was asking about skaters who are actually retiring after this season.

Sinead Kerr/John Kerr
    Federica Faiella/Massimo Scali

Daisuke Takahashi said he's going to continue skating until Sochi.

If anybody hears of any other confirmed retirements, please post here.

D/W skated a weak SD, with a mistake on the twizzles.

They weren't marked down for it, though, and in general their SD marks seemed based on reputation alone.

I'd definitely have them outside the top 3 in the SD.

No complaints about the FD result, though. They were clearly top of the field. My GOE and PCS marks would be way lower but I'd definitely have them first.

(PashaFan talked about P/B being better in the SD hence my comments)
    The following skaters would probably be closest to retirement, but possibly not. Have any stated their plans??? I added my guesses based on statements in other threads over the past few months-

1. Joubert - I think will retire after '12 Worlds?
    2. Ando - ?
    3. Kostner - ?
    4. Flatt - Supposedly skating no GP next year, but will skate at US Nats?
    5. Verner - ?
    6. Pang / Tong - taking '11 - '12 season off and continuing -or- retiring?
    7. Zhang / Zhang - injured but returning?
    8. Bradley - retiring
    9. Kim - continuing, but not skating the GP next year a la Kwan? retiring soon?
    10. Abbott - committed to '11 - '12 season, but retiring after?
    11. Evora / Ladwig - He will be 31 next year. Any word on their plans [haven't seen them mentioned]

Thanks for any info on them and anyone else...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Miki Ando did so well this year mostly by just how poor the ladies event was this year. It wasnt any drastic improvement in her performances. She wouldnt have won any major title since...well probably the year Jill Trenary won with her performancesto win Worlds this year, and she wouldnt have medalled in Vancouver either with her performances to win Worlds this year . Imagine putting Ando from Moscow vs Kim of Vancouver or even Asada of Turin last year, what a blowout that would be. Credit her for taking advantage of how things were though.
    Well to be honest, Miki both SP+LP are just plain bad. SP was awful, and lets be honest, no skater will be able to pull of Cleopatra theme program. Even if you are Michelle or Yuna. If her jumps are as sharp as this year with her Samson Deliah SP and Carmen LP. she can fight for the bronze at least.

vCash
    Miki has stated "with confidence" that she'd skate until Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    Well to be honest, Miki both SP+LP are just plain bad. SP was awful, and lets be honest, no skater will be able to pull of Cleopatra theme program. Even if you are Michelle or Yuna. If her jumps are as sharp as this year with her Samson Deliah SP and Carmen LP. she can fight for the bronze at least.
    I really liked Miki's short programme this year !. I thought Yuna's SP & LP were below par. Nothing special unlike last year.
    I can't believe the negativity towards Miki. I've been a fan of hers since the 2003 junior world's & think despite her nerves she has had a wonderful career.
    I really hope she continues.
    If you want bland watch Rachel Flatt. She has always skated through not to her music & like Meryl Davis looks completely bored & fed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    The following skaters would probably be closest to retirement, but possibly not. Have any stated their plans??? I added my guesses based on statements in other threads over the past few months-

11. Evora / Ladwig - He will be 31 next year. Any word on their plans [haven't seen them mentioned]

Thanks for any info on them and anyone else...
    Evora/Ladwig stated (around 4CCs IIRC) that they plan to compete next season. I believe they're taking it year by year.

vCash
    First official post Worlds split: Coughlin and Yankowskas
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    That's a shock. I think she is a star. Kinda reminds me of Julia Obertas. I hope she finds a worthy partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    They're both supposed to continue skating though (well John isn't sure yet but he's rumoured to partner with Denney).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Anissina was an introvert? Really? T/D I can buy, but A/P never really struck me like that. I'd argue that Tessa and Scott are more introverted than they are.

I think what hurt Pechelat/Bourzat in the past was that they were just wierd.
    What on earth is wrong with weird?!

I agree re: A/P though. No way were they "introvert" ... where on earth did anyone get that idea from?! And to be honest, I don't really class D/W or V/M as being particularly "extrovert." They are good performers, yes, but that's different. Maybe Charlie is...maybe. When I think extrovert I think of those who really stamp their own personality on a programme, whatever that programme may be... for example, ladies like Babsi F-P, Navka, Grishuk. I don't think of D/W or V/M in those terms... not that that's a bad thing. Just my two cents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    for example, ladies like Babsi F-P, Navka, Grishuk.
    well, if being extrovert means being like Fusar-Poli and Navka, I'm all for introvert skaters

vCash
    ^To be fair, so am I... I didn't say it was always a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    5. Verner - ?
    continues until Sochi if his health permits.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    ... Meryl Davis looks completely bored & fed up.

I am not sure if I understand. Do you think Meryl always looks bored and fed up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Sorry to interrupt this lovely discussion

Oh - be still my heart! Where did you find this information. I am so excited for her (and me).
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    ^It was in the worlds threads. She'd told people before worlds apparently, but asked it to be kept secret until the competition was over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    What on earth is wrong with weird?!

I agree re: A/P though. No way were they "introvert" ... where on earth did anyone get that idea from?! And to be honest, I don't really class D/W or V/M as being particularly "extrovert." They are good performers, yes, but that's different. Maybe Charlie is...maybe. When I think extrovert I think of those who really stamp their own personality on a programme, whatever that programme may be... for example, ladies like Babsi F-P, Navka, Grishuk. I don't think of D/W or V/M in those terms... not that that's a bad thing. Just my two cents.
    Nothing really wrong with it, but wierd means harder to wrap your mind around, easier to dismiss, harder to like/love/enjoy.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast