Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    D/W would be crazy not to, the three spots next year could be easily filled by Shibs, Sam/Bates and Chock/Zir...

Alissa would be crazy to retire... if it were her and Mirai and worlds I have to think they would have three spots for next year. She and Mirai would be a great world team next year....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I suspect D/W. I would have also said V/M, but they probably don't want this to be their last season, since they practically didn't compete. And Worlds in 2 years are in Canada, so who knows. But D/W have achieved all there is, and with the Shibs coming up, it would seem like a good time to call it a career. And I'm sure both of them want to go back to school and finish their degrees.
    I don't see D&W retiring. Unless Charlie wants to go off and have babies with Tanith.

vCash
    Mao, Yuna, Miki, Caroline, Alissa, Rachael. It's time please retire!!

vCash
    Fumie..... maybe not

vCash
    IDK about D/W, wouldn't they want to make a push for Sochi? At least I hope they don't..but the US is clearly in good hands with the Shibs, C/Z, and Sam/Bates.

vCash
    *crossing my fingers Mao and Yu-na won't retire*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    D/W would be crazy not to, the three spots next year could be easily filled by Shibs, Sam/Bates and Chock/Zir...
    Eazzzeeeee on the

vCash
    YuNa
    Miki
    Mao
    Carolina
    Kira

They have all been around long enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    YuNa
    Miki
    Mao
    Carolina
    Kira

They have all been around long enough.
    NO WAY! I wouldn't mind seeing these five stay until Sochi. Korpi could be a world medalist if she got her flip and lutz straightened out.

vCash
    I totally disagree with those who say Davis & White will or should retire. The Shibutanis arent even close to them now, the point margins are still huge. Not to take anything away from the Shibutanis achievement, but their medal was only made possible by a disaesterous performance by the French, and even then they barely won it. P/B on a good day would have been miles above them, yet both D/W and V/M are in turn miles above a good P/B. It is by no means certain the Shibutanis would pass D/W by 2014, in fact I find it unlikely to happen. I still think I/K have more long range potential than the Shibutanis in fact.

Davis & White can and should pursue future golds and the 2014 Olympic Gold. They would be silly not to continue while in the prime of their careers, especialy in fear of a team who they are atleast 3 falls clear of right now

vCash
    As for my guesses to who will retire:

Miki Ando
    Brian Joubert (maybe after 2012 though)
    Pechalat & Bourzat
    Fumie Suguri

I dont think Kim or Mao have any plans to retire. Kim skated at about 45% of her potential at this years Worlds and still nearly won it, if she starts to actually train again she will be easily back on top unless the Russian babies come on gangbusters. Mao wouldnt do all that work to rework her technique then leave.

vCash
    Even if P/B skated well and earned bronze, S/S would have been 4th which is no small feat for a team debuting at Senior Worlds!

I do agree with you saying that D/W should continue on. It seemed as though they could never place above a clean V/M and now that it happened once, perhaps they will gain a bit of momentum. S/S are still far from them..they have nothing to worry about.

vCash
    I forgot to add some other retirements I predict:

Zhangs
    Kavaguti & Smirnov (unfortunately, hope I am wrong)
    Pang & Tong (also unfortunately if it happens)
    Evora & Ladwig
    Rachael Flatt (mostly due to school commitments)

and in the not too distant future (1 year max):

Caroline Zhang
    Ashley Wagner
    Kevin Reynolds
    Cynthia Phaneuf
    Maria Mukhortova

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I forgot to add some other retirements I predict:

Maria Mukhortova
    ???

vCash
    If she cant find a partner up to her level, if she cant have a real shot of making it back onto a Russian World team, and if that is the case she cant released to skater for a less competitive country where she could atleast make the team, what would motivate her to continue.

vCash
    Maria wont continue skating if what she is left with is trying to make the Russian team skating with Jerome Blanchards (with all due respect to him).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    As for my guesses to who will retire:

Miki Ando
    Brian Joubert (maybe after 2012 though)
    Pechalat & Bourzat
    Fumie Suguri

I dont think Kim or Mao have any plans to retire. Kim skated at about 45% of her potential at this years Worlds and still nearly won it, if she starts to actually train again she will be easily back on top unless the Russian babies come on gangbusters. Mao wouldnt do all that work to rework her technique then leave.
    But does Kim have the motivation to do all the work to be on top again? Yu-na has already won everything. I can't imagine how stressfull it is with the Skate Mom from Hell, and the Yuna bots/entire nation of Korea putting all of that pressure on her. She might be able to win worlds next year if she trains, but it will be difficult once the younger Russian wonderbabes come on to the scene.

I think its perfectly understandable if Yu-na retires, and I get the feeling from her interviews that she kind of wants too.

Mao may stay in at least for another year to see if she can get to the place where she can win in Sochi. (If her results still go down hill then maybe she'll move on) But Mao has the motivation of OGM that she hasn't won.

vCash
    If Yu Na knew this was her last year she would have probably gone all out to go out with a bang, which is obviously far removed from what she did this season. I doubt she wants to go out with a weak performance (for her) and a loss. And who knows how great the Russian babies will be or not in the coming years. I saw them skate at World Juniors though and both still have alot of improvement left at this point though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    But does Kim have the motivation to do all the work to be on top again? Yu-na has already won everything.
    Seeing how Kim was tearing up on the medal podium, I have a strong hunch she will be very motivated to return next season and reclaim her world crown (but please don't use David Wilson ). I can't imagine she is satisfied with losing Worlds back to back like this.

Mao may stay in at least for another year to see if she can get to the place where she can win in Sochi. (If her results still go down hill then maybe she'll move on) But Mao has the motivation of OGM that she hasn't won.
    If Mao still has under-rotation issue next season then the OGM might be hopeless.

vCash
    Mao is definitely not retiring. She already set her goals for Sochi and she's not someone to give up halfway. This hasn't been a good season for her but I sense she might have been affected by the delay. Her error on the spin was really unexpected.

I'm not sure about Yuna. I mean if her goal was really to win back her title, wouldn't it have been smart to at least do 4CC? In interviews, she seemed to just want to perform for her fans. And since there are talks that pro-skating competition is coming back, I think she could retire and turn pro.

I heard Miki was taking the year off next season. But she may come back for Sochi.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast