Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Oh I forgot! This site is awesome. The lasagne recipe is hands down the best one I've tried

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Oh that salad sounds heavenly.
    Here is the recipe for the quinoa salad. I don't like mandarin oranges, so I just put extra cranberry and apricot. I also add a little curry powder and extremely thinly sliced red onion. It's really delicious if you make it at night and put in the refrigerator for the next day.

Here is the link for the saffron pasta salad. I add a little agave syrup to the vinaigrette to balance things out. I have used all kinds of pasta for this. She uses orecchiette, but I think that it doesn't hold the vinaigrette as well as some of the other pastas. I also add frozen peas and red onion to the salad. The pine nuts really make it for me.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Thanks! I love mandarin oranges, so I will be following the original recipe with dash of curry and red onions added.

There is no pasta salad I don't love, but adding agave syrup and pine nuts sounds particularly yummy.

vCash
    Not a vegetarian, but I've done vegetarian diets in the past and have a few friends that are veggies and vegans. From what I understand, especially if you have an iron deficiency, it's not just what you eat but the combination in which you eat them. For example, the reason why rice and beans are eaten together in so many cultures is not just because it's DELICIOUS (and cheap) but because eaten separately, neither are all that nutritionally. But taken together, they form good proteins and several other vitamins as well. If you squirt lime juice on it, it does something else that's really good for you.

There are several other legume and carb combos that do that. That's the only one I specifically remember though.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I have severe iron deficiency anaemia that both taking iron tablets and/or eating meat hasn't conquered.
    I'm a lacto ova vegetarian with severe iron issues that I haven't been able to conquer with supplements either. My doctor monitored my iron levels while I was on more aggressive supplementation and there was so little change that he he thinks I just can't digest iron effectively. Therefore, he's starting me on iron injections. It took a while to get the iron (infufer) in to my pharmacy, so I'm only starting this week so don't know yet how effective it will be.

I don't know if injections are an option for you in China, but it might be worth looking into.

A meat-eating friend had to do blood infusions every few months, but that's a more extreme option.

In general, I've found that medical doctors don't have a good understanding of iron and vegetarians. Not one but two doctors have prescribed me iron pills derived from animal blood. Very irritating. Both were surprised when I later explained why I couldn't take those options. That lack of knowledge bothers me a lot because I'm sure a lot of vegetarians would just trust that their doctors would be aware of such obvious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    From what I understand, especially if you have an iron deficiency, it's not just what you eat but the combination in which you eat them.
    According to my chiropractor, Vitamin C should be consumed with iron to help iron digestion. Calcium should NOT be consumed with iron because it impedes iron digestion. (Apparently, the iron and calcium compete and the calcium wins.)

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I think everyone is different, with different body chemistry, and one thing is not going to work for everyone.

I totally respect anyone who can be a vegetarian or vegan. I tried it back in January, and I have never felt so awful in my entire life. I really tried to do everything right-I went vegan, but I did eat soy, and I did try to get proteins from as many places as possible. I read up on it from many sources, so I think I was pretty educated and not just blundering about ill-informed.

I did not feel deprived, because I adore whole grains and many vegetables, and fruit is a mainstay of my diet. However, not having meat, eggs or dairy was not for me. Just not for me. I was exhausted all the time. I couldn't think clearly. I was depressed.

As soon as I started adding back some eggs and dairy, I felt immediately better.

So, though I didn't find happiness with my vegan attempt, I did discover some lovely recipes, and I did alter my life somewhat and in ways I think are healthier. I've totally given up real butter for a delicious soy alternative. I am eating A LOT more whole grains, and we have at least one dish-with-leftovers a week that is vegetarian or vegan. So, I did alter my life, just not drastically. But I think the process did result in healthier habits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    As soon as I started adding back some eggs and dairy, I felt immediately better.
    Well as Angelskates is planning on eating both of those, I'm sure she'll be fine. In fact, most vegetarians DO eat those, and don't find it particularly hard not to eat meat. I hate meat. I hate chewing it, I hate the taste and the smell of it. I stopped eating it when I was 12 so for me it's just a way of life.

And was it you who had a thread about going vegan where the majority of us vegetarian and vegans advised against it because it was being done for the wrong reasons? Or was that someone else? I don't remember

Generally, give up meat if you don't like it or don't want to eat animals. If you have no other objections, then it's possible to have a healthy diet with meat in it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Calcium should NOT be consumed with iron because it impedes iron digestion. (Apparently, the iron and calcium compete and the calcium wins.)
    Correct, which is why supplements targeted at seniors often tout that they're iron-free. Seniors generally need calcium more than iron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I think everyone is different, with different body chemistry, and one thing is not going to work for everyone.

I totally respect anyone who can be a vegetarian or vegan. I tried it back in January, and I have never felt so awful in my entire life. I really tried to do everything right-I went vegan, but I did eat soy, and I did try to get proteins from as many places as possible. I read up on it from many sources, so I think I was pretty educated and not just blundering about ill-informed.

I did not feel deprived, because I adore whole grains and many vegetables, and fruit is a mainstay of my diet. However, not having meat, eggs or dairy was not for me. Just not for me. I was exhausted all the time. I couldn't think clearly. I was depressed.

So, though I didn't find happiness with my vegan attempt, I did discover some lovely recipes, and I did alter my life somewhat and in ways I think are healthier. I've totally given up real butter for a delicious soy alternative. I am eating A LOT more whole grains, and we have at least one dish-with-leftovers a week that is vegetarian or vegan. So, I did alter my life, just not drastically. But I think the process did result in healthier habits.

My sister in law yo-yos between vegan, vegetarian and eating meat (the whole thing is often dependent on who she is dating ). In her vegan stages, she is exhausted, moody and depressed. It clearly does not work for her body, either. She gets so nasty that my husband threatens to shove meat down her throat so she'll act better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Well as Angelskates is planning on eating both of those, I'm sure she'll be fine.
    Yep, I definitely plan on eating eggs and dairy. Thanks for the website!

TygerLily - I am not looking for iron alternatives at the moment, because actually the symptoms of the anaemia could also be from other health problems I have, so even with more iron, the problems may still be there. It is entirely possible that my "normal" iron levels are just below that of most people's normal. My normal potassium levels are quite below "normal" too. I have an auto-immune disease that is blood related (clotting) too, so the symptoms that we are saying are from anaemia, could actually be related to that or other things. I don't have health insurance, so am just trying to manage the symptoms myself since nothing else has worked. Am glad to not be taking iron tablets anymore, they're so disgusting!

Started the vegetarianism yesterday. At the dumpling restaurant they served me prawn. I'm glad I wasn't the only vegetarian there, but the real vegetarian dumplings were really good, and we got them purple so we could tell which ones really were vegetarian!
    Last edited by Angelskates; 05-02-2011 at 02:44 AM.

vCash
    Veggie dumplings ate too die for

Quadless
    vCash
    LOL - just had veggie gyoza for dinner. The frozen ones from Trader Joe's are really good. Made a vinegar and soy dipping sauce to go with them.

Another favorite is sauteed mushrooms with red pepper flakes, garlic and bok choy. You can finish it with a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce and lemon or vinegar. It's surprisingly filling.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    ... One thing that worked for me on protein was veggie burgers. Morningstar Farm and Amy's brands have a lot of protein, especially if you combine them with a wheat bun.
    That's okay in a pinch, or for an occasional "what can I bring to my friend's bbq" situation, but not an option I'd recommend relying on for a regular part of anyone's diet. Not to mention the expense and probably lack of availability in China.

Angelskates, there are some amazing Chinese Buddhist vegetarian restaurants here in Vancouver, I'm assuming there's something similar over where you are. I'm not a fan of "mock meats" in general, but I make an exception for the Chinese Buddhist products -- they've been doing it for centuries.

Vegweb is an amazing web site, you could spend hours there. (the site with the Creamy Coconut Curry recipe)

BTW, the only adverse physical effects I had from going veg was my skin. For some reason I started breaking out more. Eventually it got balanced though. Selenium was a key factor -- if it's not in your supplements, try eating Brazil nuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    TygerLily - I am not looking for iron alternatives at the moment, because actually the symptoms of the anaemia could also be from other health problems I have
    I'm sorry for misreading the question! And I'm sorry about your other health problems.

I stopped eating meat when I was 14, so I don't remember if I had any side effects. I have heard, though, that when people are vegetarian for a long time, they lose the enzymes required to digest meat properly. I don't know how long you were vegetarian before, but that might explain the side effects when you went back on meat. Side effects may not be as much of a problem with the reverse. Hopefully, anyway!

vCash
    I'm mostly worried about putting on weight because I'll probably eat more cheese I could never be vegan!

Artemis@BC - I really like the Buddhist restaurants here, but they are incredibly expensive (more expensive that standard Western food) and are more of a special occasion meal.

I love making falafel and veggie patties rather than buying meat-like patties, which I have never done.

I'm not taking any supplements at the moment - should I just try a multi-vitamin? Or do I need to add something else?

vCash
    My GP put me in iron, a multi-vitamin, vitamin D (for winter, but he has EVERYONE on that) and zinc (since it apparently helps prevent colds, and again, he has everyone on it). I've recently been given an omega 3 one too.

I don't take them as consistently as I should, but I can say that I survived a whole winter without so much as a cold when last year I had 3, so I think they might have some use

vCash
    As for anecdotal evidence about not feeling well when vegan. You won't if you don't have a balanced diet. And it's very hard to do and requires incredible self-discipline.

You can definitely be vegan and super healthy and even a competitive athlete (as Meagan Duhamel and that triathlete guy - forgot his name - prove).

Angelskates - As for anaemia, my beauty therapist (who is also doing a postgraduate degree in Dietetics) was suffering from it and she overcame it eating tons of parsley every day. She added it to everything she ate (I could never do it, I can't stand parsley).

Parsley, spinach and nettles are rich in iron. Remember that absorption is better with vitamin C so eat it with veggies rich in eat like peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    According to my chiropractor, Vitamin C should be consumed with iron to help iron digestion. Calcium should NOT be consumed with iron because it impedes iron digestion. (Apparently, the iron and calcium compete and the calcium wins.)
    That is correct.

CynicElle - thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Throughout most of the human experience, meat has been a food used primarily for a dietary supplement, a feast/special occasion food, and as a rich food for hunter/warrior/athletes and pregnant women. Making a declaration of prohibiting oneself was not necessary. If a person chose not to eat meat when it was available in abundance, it was because the person simply did not crave it. Cravings were an indicator of a nutrient deficiency.
    Throughout most of the human experience, the planet wasn't overpopulated and lacking drinkable water.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago: Insanely Quick Creamy Chickpea/Coconut Curry

Assuming you like coconut milk and curries, it's easy and *really* good. I didn't have any potatoes around and cut the turmeric down a bit, but it was still tasty. And it's very filling -- I ate what I thought was a small-sized portion and felt like I was going to explode afterwards.
    I have this bubbling away on the stove right now; it was very easy to make. I left out the cilantro - not my favorite herb - and I was too lazy to chop up parsley. Next time maybe I will add in some wilted spinach to get some green in it. I also added in a tablespoon or two of raisins I wanted to use up. This strikes me as a very versatile recipe that can be changed up in a number of ways. My kitchen smells wonderful. As soon as my rice is ready, I'm off to eat. Thanks again for posting.

vCash
    I'm vegan and it's totally a healthy (and more compassionate) lifestyle. I've had no problems or nutritional deficiencies. Some of the healthiest people I know have been vegans for 10-15+ years.

http://vegweb.com/ is a wonderful recipe database. I've found some of the best recipes I've ever made here.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy
    Throughout most of the human experience, the planet wasn't overpopulated and lacking drinkable water.
    There seems to be no clear connection between my statement and this comment, but I assume you are making a statement about the livestock agribusiness, which is perhaps why you might be vegetarian

I was really only interested why the original poster, someone with anemia, would go vegetarian, and the answer was simply "personal" and delivered in good taste.

The poster also commented about easing into it, and I gave an informed way of doing so.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-05-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast