Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Going Vegetarian

I have decided to change my diet to vegetarian again, specifically lacto-ovo vegetarian, no meat or fish, but still eggs and dairy.

I was vegetarian for more than 10 years and then began eating meat again several years ago. I have severe iron deficiency anaemia that both taking iron tablets and/or eating meat hasn't conquered.

I am looking for advice on how best to make the switch. I don't eat a huge amount of meat anyway (no pork, chicken maximum once a week, red meat mostly only when I eat out etc.) but should I take it away gradually?

I don't eat tofu because I don't like the texture, but I enjoy fruit and veggies a lot and don't have any trouble with a vegetarian diet, except the lack of iron. Any advice on how to best get protein? I had a dietician/nutritionist but she has since left Beijing and I don't want to pay for another one and have to start again with history etc. etc.

I know there are several vegetarians on the board, and I am looking more for what to expect when I make the change. Are there any side effects? I had pretty major side effects when I started eating meat, and am hoping there aren't too many when I change back again!

Any good recipes would be greatly appreciated too.

Sorry, I didn't mean to post this in SS, can a nice mod please move to OTBT! Thanks.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 04-30-2011 at 11:48 AM.

vCash
    I stopped eating animals in 2001 and I didn't transition, I just stopped completely from one day to the next. I remember at the beginning I ate a lot of eggs and cheese and I had high cholesterol for a while. But from stopping eating animals I didn't have any side effects at all.

I am not of great help to you cause I don't have any deficiencies and I don't pay much attention to what I eat. I sometimes crave something; i.e. my body tells me what I need to eat.

Good luck with the restart. I hope you find a solution to your iron problem. I am glad meat doesn't solve it

vCash
    I haven't eaten meat since I was 8, but I do eat eggs and dairy still.

I'm not a huge fan of tofu either, although it is okay to bulk up a smoothie since you lose the texture when it's blended. There are some other soy products that are delicious though. Last night I made hamburger helper with soy hamburger and even Mr. Kiki ate it without complaint. I've found most soy products are very good, especially if you put a sauce or marinade on them. If you're not allergic to nuts there are also a lot of nut based meat substitutes, cheeses and such that contain high amounts of protein. I also eat Greek yogurt over the regular stuff, as it has 3-4 times the amount of protein.

When I first went vegetarian my mom took me to a bunch of dieticians and such to make sure I was still gettting all the nutrients I needed, and the one thing they all said in common was that you can get most things from soy, nuts, dairy, eggs etc, but you should still take a B12 supplement because that's harder to come by without meat.

vCash
    KikiSashaFan, I actually hate soy (unless it's just soy sauce) and am not usually a fan of meat substitutes either...I love Greek yoghurt though, I had no idea it was high in protein.

vCash
    ^^^No, most soy products are "not good", especially for your health. I think anyone who make soy part of their children's diet ought to be charged with child abuse.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2BpRoa...angers-of-soy/

Soy, as most Americans eat it, is not a health food....
    ADMIN EDIT: Please refer to Board rules about quoting from external sources

13. Posting links to articles are fine, but limit quoting to a few sentences at most. 
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/anno....php?f=14&a=37

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    ^^^No, most soy products are "not good", especially for your health. I think anyone who make soy part of their children's diet ought to be charged with child abuse.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2BpRoa...angers-of-soy/
    Eating too much of anything is bad for you. I've had a dietician or nutritionist for the majority of my life and all agree that soy is very good for you in small doses, like any other food. My doctors agree.

And BTW, I'm not American and I live in Beijing, so the soy I would be eating, if I liked it, would be Chinese.

vCash
    I'm no vegetarian, but I don't like meat in general so I tend to rely on nuts, cottage cheese, whey protein and eggs for protein. I think it's important to make sure at least some of your protein intake comes from a source other than grain.

I know China, well actually most countries outside North America can be unaccomodating to vegetarians, so you should be prepared to forego restaurant foods!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I can't help you from personal experience but there might be some info you can use here:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Whole wheat pasta and breads tend to have a fair amount of protein (5-6grams for 1 slice of bread made from only whole wheat flour), so that is where i get most of mine. My vegetarian cookbook lists these items as high in protein:

Eggs
    Cheddar (and other cheeses)
    tempeh
    lentils
    ricotta and cottage cheese
    sesame seeds, sunflower seeds
    split green peas, kidney beans, chickpeas, limabeans
    peanuts, cashews
    Spinach
    barley or bulgur
    peas ()
    Whole-wheat bread and pasta (and brown rice)
    Yogurt, particularly Greek
    And some fruits and vegetables but it doesn't specify.
    Last edited by michiruwater; 04-30-2011 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    I'm no vegetarian, but I don't like meat in general so I tend to rely on nuts, cottage cheese, whey protein and eggs for protein. I think it's important to make sure at least some of your protein intake comes from a source other than grain.

I know China, well actually most countries outside North America can be unaccomodating to vegetarians, so you should be prepared to forego restaurant foods!
    I taught in China, and had no trouble at all eating vegetarian while I was there. In fact, I learned to appreciate brussel sprouts and collard greens.

Angel, I just went cold turkey (so to speak...) when I went vegetarian. I'm don't really watch what I eat, so I should probably check that I'm getting enough iron.

vCash
    Collard green

brussel sprouts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Eating too much of anything is bad for you. I've had a dietician or nutritionist for the majority of my life and all agree that soy is very good for you in small doses, like any other food. My doctors agree.
    Exactly. I eat soy stuff maybe twice a week at most, usually when I'm making a recipe that contains meat and need a substitute. It can't be worse for you than meat pumped full of hormones and steroids.

I'm not sure if you can find it where you are, but quinoa is a sprouted grain and an excellent source of protein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I taught in China, and had no trouble at all eating vegetarian while I was there. In fact, I learned to appreciate brussel sprouts and collard greens.

Angel, I just went cold turkey (so to speak...) when I went vegetarian. I'm don't really watch what I eat, so I should probably check that I'm getting enough iron.
    I love brussel sprouts.
    I know there are plenty of veggie main dishes in China, but you have to watch out for certain types of broth and condiments many of which contain animal-based ingredients. My vegetarian friend once requested a vegetarian noodle soup in Korea, and they just picked out meats from the beef broth.
    Surprisingly many people fail to understand vegetarianism extends beyond not chewing flesh.

vCash
    I realize that. I am not one of those people.

vCash
    I wasn't referring to you.
    I just have seen so many restaurants employ "pick out the bacon bits and make your own vegetarian dish" attitude. My poor friend depended on white rice and soy sauce until she discovered bibimbap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    It can't be worse for you than meat pumped full of hormones and steroids.
    You are aware that it is possible to obtain meat from animals that are not being fed steroids and growth hormones?

all agree that soy is very good for you in small doses, like any other food.
    The key phrase being "in small doses." Not as a main course. Certainly not taken to the extreme intake that the jump-on-the-bandwagon vegans consume it.

vCash
    It is possible but difficult and considerably more expensive in most cases. Meat shouldn't really be a main course, either, at least not more than once a week or so if that. If people are eating it as the main course daily, which many do, then certainly soy can be a main course once in a while.

vCash
    I went vegetarian cold turkey a few years back. I used to hate all types of beans and now I crave them. I love tofu (especially the naughty kind that comes fried). Boca burgers are my friend. I also eat nuts every day. I don't miss meat at all. I never really loved it and one day thought, why am I eating this? My cats are sad, though, LOL.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good luck! I could never do it.

I saw a television show yesterday with a girl who was a fruititarian. She went around the L.A. area picking fruit that hung over peoples yards and over the sidewalk. She was a complete cook. She wasn't about eating fruit she was about eating FREE and stealing from people's fruit trees. I would dare her to come take stuff of my tree!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post

I stopped being vegetarian because I found it very hard here (amongst other things, like my iron levels). The Chinese actually don't eat brussel sprouts but I can buy them at the foreign store. They definitely don't seem to understand vegetarianism here buf that's ok, I like to cook.

Did you have any side effects when you made the switch?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast