Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

USFS 2011 Governing Council

Going on this weekend in Lombard, Illinois.

Interesting:

310. APPROVED - Competitions Committee
    Made the following changes to the qualifying competition structure:
    1. Have the four best-placed competitors in the intermediate and juvenile singles events in each region qualify to enter the appropriate sectional championship.
    2. Replace the current U.S. Junior Championships stand-alone event with a smaller national competition for juvenile and intermediate athletes held in conjunction with the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
    3. Have the four best-placed competitors in all intermediate and juvenile events (singles, pairs and ice dancing) from each section qualify to enter the national competition mentioned in item 2 above.

Implementation date: September 1, 2012

Other Reports of Action, http://www.usfsa.org/story.asp?id=46049 .

vCash
    Not sure I love the idea of U.S. Junior championships being eliminated..it certainly makes qualifying for the competition more exclusive though. This sort of seems like a money saver.

They also increased the maximum age of Juvenile skaters to fourteen years old. I sort of like this change.

Also significant changes to the required elements in the Novice and below levels. No more choreographed steps/spirals in novice, but the choreographed steps are now in place for intermediate and juvenile.
    Last edited by Jenna; 04-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.

vCash
    Wait so in Novice pairs SP a step sequence is required and the spiral is gone and in the FS its the opposite. Did I read that correctly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Wait so in Novice pairs SP a step sequence is required and the spiral is gone and in the FS its the opposite. Did I read that correctly?
    Both programs will have a step sequence with a level called. Yes, spirals are gone in both programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Not sure I love the idea of U.S. Junior championships being eliminated..it certainly makes qualifying for the competition more exclusive though. This sort of seems like a money saver.
    I assume so. Now less kids will have the chance to go to JN. For some, it might be their only nat'l comp.

They also increased the maximum age of Juvenile skaters to fourteen years old. I sort of like this change.
    I haven't read the exact rule - is it under 14 as of Sept 1 or under 15?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Both programs will have a step sequence with a level called. Yes, spirals are gone in both programs.
    But that's not what this says or am I reading it wrong?

358. APPROVED - Pairs Committee
    Amended rule 4061, Novice Pairs Short Program, (page 281, Rulebook), such that one step sequence will be required each year, and the spiral sequence will no longer be required in any season. (Currently the step sequence and spiral sequence alternate each year.)

Implementation date: June 1, 2011

359. APPROVED - Pairs Committee
    Amended rule 4062, Novice Pairs Well-Balanced Free Skate, (pages 282-283, Rulebook), such that one spiral sequence will be required each year, and the step sequence will no longer be a requirement in any season. (Currently the step sequence and spiral sequence alternate each year.)

Implementation date: June 1, 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I haven't read the exact rule - is it under 14 as of Sept 1 or under 15?
    This is what's on the USFS site, but I think there must be a typo (see my bolding) or am I just reading it completely wrong .

344. APPROVED - Competitions Committee

Increased the maximum age for juvenile to "14 years of age or older as of Sept. 1 prior to the regional championships."

Clearly they have some things to hash out regarding the dissolving of JN's, but I suspect this could be make it tougher (ie more expensive) for those affected. Instead of one trip and one fee for regionals, followed by the JN's event, they will potentially have 2 trips and 2 fee's, followed by the expenses involved with Nationals. Would they still allow pairs and dance byes if there aren't enough teams in each section? I just hope Omaha was kept aware of this, as they'll now need to secure 144 more hotel rooms and possibly a 3rd surface for a few days. Is the US the only country who has a "national" event for all levels, juvenile-senior?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    But that's not what this says or am I reading it wrong?
    Oops! Sorry! I thought you were talking about singles. Yes, you're correct for the pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    This is what's on the USFS site, but I think there must be a typo (see my bolding) or am I just reading it completely wrong .

344. APPROVED - Competitions Committee

Increased the maximum age for juvenile to "14 years of age or older as of Sept. 1 prior to the regional championships."

Clearly they have some things to hash out regarding the dissolving of JN's, but I suspect this could be make it tougher (ie more expensive) for those affected. Instead of one trip and one fee for regionals, followed by the JN's event, they will potentially have 2 trips and 2 fee's, followed by the expenses involved with Nationals. Would they still allow pairs and dance byes if there aren't enough teams in each section? I just hope Omaha was kept aware of this, as they'll now need to secure 144 more hotel rooms and possibly a 3rd surface for a few days. Is the US the only country who has a "national" event for all levels, juvenile-senior?

There must be a typo for the juvenile rule. It is definitely fourteen years or younger as of Sept. 1st.

And yes, this is more expensive, and now many less young boys and girls will have a chance to compete at "nationals." I hope we will get coverage of these events in Omaha, as I really love seeing them. I wonder if it will be on the same ice surface?? Who knows. I also wonder if Omaha was aware of this rule change, hope they were. I don't believe any other countries have a "national" elite event for their intermediate or "pre-novice" or juvenile skaters. This is a first for me.

vCash
    I read through the entire proposal and reasoning for restructuring JNs, and I was wholeheartedly for the idea after finishing it. I found it under the Members Only site of USFS but if you can find a copy of it, read it through and it really does make a lot of sense.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Very nice to see Rudi Sweigers get the Sportsmanship Award and that Mark Ladwig was there to present it to him. Rudi.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Do you think eventually more skaters might hang out in Pre Juv? Right now, it seems like such a non-level (at least around here) with the thought seeming to be that it's soooo close to Juv, why not just move up, especially with the age restriction looming. It's less expensive, generally, to skate Pre Juv than to move up to Juvenile and IJS judging.

It also seems that with the removal of a spin and the limits on jump combinations, the program component scores will be more important. Not that they aren't now, but some kids can really get by on strong jumps and spins. The Juv programs have been so packed with elements in the past - now there's going to be a bit more breathing room for "skating"...it will be interesting to see what happens at the competitions.

My daughter has one more program with her old program and the old system. Then she goes to Liberty in July with a new program and new changes. Just when I was getting the hang of reading the protocol sheets.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Very nice to see Rudi Sweigers get the Sportsmanship Award and that Mark Ladwig was there to present it to him. Rudi.
    !!!!!!!!!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    THAT is awesome! What a wonderful gesture to recognize what Rudi did for Mark at 4CC and holy crap, Mark had to be exhausted there since he had just skated at Worlds like two days before this event!! Wow. Glad he could be there for it though!

Yay Rudi!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Just got back from Governing Council

Item 344 ... OPEN Juvenile is 14 and older

Juvenile is now 13 and younger. The age is based upon September 1.

THe effective date of this rule change is June 1, 2011

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Also, Adult Sectionals singles events are FINALLY using IJS!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    Juvenile is now 13 and younger. The age is based upon September 1.

THe effective date of this rule change is June 1, 2011
    You mean 14 and younger as of Sep. 1st for Juvenile, right?

vCash
    No, 13 and younger (i.e., under 14) as of Sept. 1.

It used to be 12 and younger (under 13).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Also, Adult Sectionals singles events are FINALLY using IJS!
    How far down does that go?

Are they going to subject the lowest levels to it? I don't think I could stand to put up a single digit score...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    No, 13 and younger (i.e., under 14) as of Sept. 1.

It used to be 12 and younger (under 13).
    Oh, that's right. My mistake! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast