Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1012

    USFS 2011 Governing Council

    Going on this weekend in Lombard, Illinois.

    Interesting:

    310. APPROVED - Competitions Committee
    Made the following changes to the qualifying competition structure:
    1. Have the four best-placed competitors in the intermediate and juvenile singles events in each region qualify to enter the appropriate sectional championship.
    2. Replace the current U.S. Junior Championships stand-alone event with a smaller national competition for juvenile and intermediate athletes held in conjunction with the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
    3. Have the four best-placed competitors in all intermediate and juvenile events (singles, pairs and ice dancing) from each section qualify to enter the national competition mentioned in item 2 above.

    Implementation date: September 1, 2012


    Other Reports of Action, http://www.usfsa.org/story.asp?id=46049 .

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Not sure I love the idea of U.S. Junior championships being eliminated..it certainly makes qualifying for the competition more exclusive though. This sort of seems like a money saver.

    They also increased the maximum age of Juvenile skaters to fourteen years old. I sort of like this change.

    Also significant changes to the required elements in the Novice and below levels. No more choreographed steps/spirals in novice, but the choreographed steps are now in place for intermediate and juvenile.
    Last edited by Jenna; 04-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Wait so in Novice pairs SP a step sequence is required and the spiral is gone and in the FS its the opposite. Did I read that correctly?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Wait so in Novice pairs SP a step sequence is required and the spiral is gone and in the FS its the opposite. Did I read that correctly?
    Both programs will have a step sequence with a level called. Yes, spirals are gone in both programs.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Not sure I love the idea of U.S. Junior championships being eliminated..it certainly makes qualifying for the competition more exclusive though. This sort of seems like a money saver.
    I assume so. Now less kids will have the chance to go to JN. For some, it might be their only nat'l comp.

    They also increased the maximum age of Juvenile skaters to fourteen years old. I sort of like this change.
    I haven't read the exact rule - is it under 14 as of Sept 1 or under 15?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Both programs will have a step sequence with a level called. Yes, spirals are gone in both programs.
    But that's not what this says or am I reading it wrong?

    358. APPROVED - Pairs Committee
    Amended rule 4061, Novice Pairs Short Program, (page 281, Rulebook), such that one step sequence will be required each year, and the spiral sequence will no longer be required in any season. (Currently the step sequence and spiral sequence alternate each year.)

    Implementation date: June 1, 2011

    359. APPROVED - Pairs Committee
    Amended rule 4062, Novice Pairs Well-Balanced Free Skate, (pages 282-283, Rulebook), such that one spiral sequence will be required each year, and the step sequence will no longer be a requirement in any season. (Currently the step sequence and spiral sequence alternate each year.)

    Implementation date: June 1, 2011

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1012
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I haven't read the exact rule - is it under 14 as of Sept 1 or under 15?
    This is what's on the USFS site, but I think there must be a typo (see my bolding) or am I just reading it completely wrong .

    344. APPROVED - Competitions Committee

    Increased the maximum age for juvenile to "14 years of age or older as of Sept. 1 prior to the regional championships."



    Clearly they have some things to hash out regarding the dissolving of JN's, but I suspect this could be make it tougher (ie more expensive) for those affected. Instead of one trip and one fee for regionals, followed by the JN's event, they will potentially have 2 trips and 2 fee's, followed by the expenses involved with Nationals. Would they still allow pairs and dance byes if there aren't enough teams in each section? I just hope Omaha was kept aware of this, as they'll now need to secure 144 more hotel rooms and possibly a 3rd surface for a few days. Is the US the only country who has a "national" event for all levels, juvenile-senior?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    But that's not what this says or am I reading it wrong?
    Oops! Sorry! I thought you were talking about singles. Yes, you're correct for the pairs.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    This is what's on the USFS site, but I think there must be a typo (see my bolding) or am I just reading it completely wrong .

    344. APPROVED - Competitions Committee

    Increased the maximum age for juvenile to "14 years of age or older as of Sept. 1 prior to the regional championships."



    Clearly they have some things to hash out regarding the dissolving of JN's, but I suspect this could be make it tougher (ie more expensive) for those affected. Instead of one trip and one fee for regionals, followed by the JN's event, they will potentially have 2 trips and 2 fee's, followed by the expenses involved with Nationals. Would they still allow pairs and dance byes if there aren't enough teams in each section? I just hope Omaha was kept aware of this, as they'll now need to secure 144 more hotel rooms and possibly a 3rd surface for a few days. Is the US the only country who has a "national" event for all levels, juvenile-senior?

    There must be a typo for the juvenile rule. It is definitely fourteen years or younger as of Sept. 1st.

    And yes, this is more expensive, and now many less young boys and girls will have a chance to compete at "nationals." I hope we will get coverage of these events in Omaha, as I really love seeing them. I wonder if it will be on the same ice surface?? Who knows. I also wonder if Omaha was aware of this rule change, hope they were. I don't believe any other countries have a "national" elite event for their intermediate or "pre-novice" or juvenile skaters. This is a first for me.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fenway Park
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I read through the entire proposal and reasoning for restructuring JNs, and I was wholeheartedly for the idea after finishing it. I found it under the Members Only site of USFS but if you can find a copy of it, read it through and it really does make a lot of sense.

  11. #11
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,963
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    37484
    Very nice to see Rudi Sweigers get the Sportsmanship Award and that Mark Ladwig was there to present it to him. Rudi.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-State Pennsylvania
    Posts
    367
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Do you think eventually more skaters might hang out in Pre Juv? Right now, it seems like such a non-level (at least around here) with the thought seeming to be that it's soooo close to Juv, why not just move up, especially with the age restriction looming. It's less expensive, generally, to skate Pre Juv than to move up to Juvenile and IJS judging.

    It also seems that with the removal of a spin and the limits on jump combinations, the program component scores will be more important. Not that they aren't now, but some kids can really get by on strong jumps and spins. The Juv programs have been so packed with elements in the past - now there's going to be a bit more breathing room for "skating"...it will be interesting to see what happens at the competitions.

    My daughter has one more program with her old program and the old system. Then she goes to Liberty in July with a new program and new changes. Just when I was getting the hang of reading the protocol sheets.

  13. #13
    The wiener takes it all
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minor Planet Johnnyweir 12413
    Posts
    11,591
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1728
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Very nice to see Rudi Sweigers get the Sportsmanship Award and that Mark Ladwig was there to present it to him. Rudi.
    !!!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,891
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2585
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Very nice to see Rudi Sweigers get the Sportsmanship Award and that Mark Ladwig was there to present it to him. Rudi.
    THAT is awesome! What a wonderful gesture to recognize what Rudi did for Mark at 4CC and holy crap, Mark had to be exhausted there since he had just skated at Worlds like two days before this event!! Wow. Glad he could be there for it though!

    Yay Rudi!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    41
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1327
    Just got back from Governing Council

    Item 344 ... OPEN Juvenile is 14 and older

    Juvenile is now 13 and younger. The age is based upon September 1.

    THe effective date of this rule change is June 1, 2011

  16. #16
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    Also, Adult Sectionals singles events are FINALLY using IJS!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    443
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    Juvenile is now 13 and younger. The age is based upon September 1.

    THe effective date of this rule change is June 1, 2011
    You mean 14 and younger as of Sep. 1st for Juvenile, right?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,453
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20970
    No, 13 and younger (i.e., under 14) as of Sept. 1.

    It used to be 12 and younger (under 13).

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Also, Adult Sectionals singles events are FINALLY using IJS!
    How far down does that go?

    Are they going to subject the lowest levels to it? I don't think I could stand to put up a single digit score...

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    443
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    No, 13 and younger (i.e., under 14) as of Sept. 1.

    It used to be 12 and younger (under 13).
    Oh, that's right. My mistake! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •