Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Any Alabamans Here: Tornado

Is anyone from the Tuscaloosa/Birmingham area: I briefly saw live feed of what looked like a monstrous wedge tornado---I always fear when the large ones approach populated areas.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    There are people on the board from Alabama. Most seem to be accounted for. Stay safe everyone, this is a storm system for the record books.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I am from north Georgia, but I am in Montgomery, AL at a ballet festival. We've just had thunderstorms here, but I've been watching the Weather Channel all afternoon and saw video of that awful, awful Birmingham tornado. And Tuscaloosa!

Richard and I just went to a staff party for the festival, and one of the staff said she had just had a call from one of her daughters who lives in Tuscaloosa. She and her three daughters were caught in her home which was totally blown off them-roof and all. Car gone. Their husband, a pro NFL player, laid over the top of the four women and everyone came out with just scratches. (His name is Britt? Ellis Britt? Something like that..) But everything they had is totally gone. But...they're alive and ok.

I am now watching from a hotel room as a circular system goes right over my home in Hiawassee, GA. I'm not there-I can only hope all is well. We are basically in the National Forest and trees can topple like matchsticks. I called my neighbors to let us know if anything happens. No news will be good news!

My brother in northern Atlanta Facebooked from his Blackberry that he hadn't had power for hours.

I've been through tornados-I drove through part of one many years ago, but I have NEVER seen this many killer storms in my 61 years.

I told Richard-we had an unusual number of snowstorms and cold temps this winter and now these unusually severe-or at least unusually numerous-storms. Will we have an unusual number of hurricanes?

vCash
    Kenny Britt? Eben Britton?

Here's an insane video from Tuscaloosa. (The insane part is the guy who filmed it.)
    Last edited by reckless; 04-28-2011 at 04:33 AM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    holy crap that video is skary. it was a full 2 minutes into it before I realized he was sitting in a car in the middle of a parking lot (yes, I know the video says that but I didn't read it first).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That guy was way too close to the tornado. So so dangerous.

We have family in Rome, GA and they spent the majority of their night in the basement. We were very worried as the tornado that decimated Tuscaloosa was coming right to them but it missed, thank God. It has traveled across 4 states, may still be on the ground for all I know. I am afraid the death toll will go way up tomorrow.

I saw someone refer to it (the whole event) as Wicked Wednesday.

I saw a stat that said the previous record for April tornados was in 1974 with about 250. This April we have had about 650!

The scariest thing of all is that 60+ have been confirmed dead today and that is with all the radar, television, cell phones, twitter, etc. etc. The number, if this same thing happened 20 years ago, would have been 5x higher, or worse.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    video of live tv coverage ...those meteorologists were totally incredible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7TKSHJ_wM
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    These are pictures from a housing project in Tuscaloosa that looks like it was completely destroyed.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Several areas in Tuscaloosa were completely leveled. Unless I heard wrong, the tornado that ripped through there was an EF-4 . That monster started up in Western Alabama and stayed strong across that state and then into and all the way across Georgia (ETA: Per BB0822 it crossed four states ).

Scary day/night for a lot of people in the South .

vCash
    I have yet to hear from my friend who lives in McCalla, which is apart of Jefferson/Tuscaloosa counties. It's south of Birmingham. There was a large tornado nearby. I am hoping she is okay and just doesn't have power.

My heart goes out to Alabama. Almost 3 weeks ago a very large end EF3 ripped through Tushka, Oklahoma. My boyfriend's family lives in Tushka and nearby. The two families that lived in Tushka related to my boyfriend do not have houses anymore. Apparently my boyfriend's aunt and uncle went to my boyfriend's grandmother's when the storm got worse because she has a cellar. They're lucky they did because afterwards, his aunt, uncle, and their oldest son went back to check on their house. It was gone. The only thing that remains is the concrete foundation. They came back to my boyfriend's grandmother's house crying.

I drove through Tushka a week later on my way to Tulsa to see my boyfriend. The town is still pretty devastated. It's so heartbreaking and sad to drive through towns devastated like this.

After hearing about my boyfriend's family's situation, it makes me very sad that so many people lost homes and just about everything today. I'm so sorry Alabama

And the video someone posted above (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ&feature), I watched that earlier. I get terrified just watching it. Wow.

vCash
    Thoughts and prayers to all those effected and to the victims and their families.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Ditto. Just got in contact with a friend in Tuscaloosa and am so relieved to know he's fine.

vCash
    My niece called from Northport (suburb of Tuscaloosa) Wednesday night after the storm passed. She spent the evening in a closet grading papers by flashlight. She had heard that a tornado touched down in her apartment complex but had not gone out to check yet. Today there is no phone or internet where she is.

vCash
    WSJ added an interative map for the areas hit.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Just heard from my niece again. Everything is normal in Northport (west of Tuscaloosa) they have power, but no tv, radio, or internet, so no news. She drove to work at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa and said 2 miles from her home it is utter devastation. Since she had gotten no news she was/is totally unaware of the magnitude of the storm.

vCash
    My in-laws don't live too far from McFarland Boulevard in Tuscaloosa, which was ravaged. Thankfully, they're fine, but they sent us some photos they took with their camera phones. The devastation is unreal.

vCash
    I finally heard from my friend. She and her family are okay, I am so thankful.

The death toll and devastation is unbelievable

vCash
    I am so glad that your families / friends seem to be okay!

Praying for everyone affected.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The number dead has risen to 247. 162 in Alabama, alone.

I hope someone sets up some kind of fundraising website soon. A number to text in like they did for the tsunami would be great. So many people affected were/are in poverty and they probably have no way to begin rebuilding their lives without some help. We always seem to jump to help when stuff happens in other countries but we need to do the same when something strikes at home.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    every time I look at a news site or my yahoo home page the death toll has increased dramatically

heard from my friend that her bf (in grad school in Birmingham) is here on spring break right now, so is safe, and while my sister hasn't responded to my text, I saw she was on FB this am so I'm thinking she's fine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast