Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Moving Worlds to April... permanently.

This might be jumping ahead as two more disciplines to go but so far it looks like this is one of the best Worlds quality-wise in recent history. Now it could be just coincedence but I also feel like the move to April could have played significant part here. And if that's the case, shall ISU consider the permanent move?
    I wonder what skaters think about it. And what do you guys think?

vCash
    no.

vCash
    No. Skaters are humans, not machines. Skaters need time off after Worlds to earn a little money for their ongoing training (if they can), followed by some much-needed down time. Then they have to start working on programs for next season and prepare for the summer comps, which begin in June and run through September.

vCash
    Non.

vCash
    Are any of the major American networks or ESPN covering Worlds this year?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Are any of the major American networks or ESPN covering Worlds this year?
    No - Universal Sports is the only way to see Worlds on US television
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    On the other hand, a lot of skaters were compelled to rest some before the Worlds in order not to overtrain- and it seems that many people came to Moscow rejuvenated. I realize it is probably not realistic because of the shows, and the need for a break before choreographing new programs, but perhaps taking it easy for a couple of weeks between January and Worlds is good for minds and bodies? I know in other performance- related disciplines it is very useful to step away for a short period of time in- between intensive training.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    On the other hand, a lot of skaters were compelled to rest some before the Worlds in order not to overtrain- and it seems that many people came to Moscow rejuvenated. I realize it is probably not realistic because of the shows, and the need for a break before choreographing new programs, but perhaps taking it easy for a couple of weeks between January and Worlds is good for minds and bodies? I know in other performance- related disciplines it is very useful to step away for a short period of time in- between intensive training.
    I see your point, but let's see how rejuvenated they will feel when they will have to start creating their new programs without taking a break at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I see your point, but let's see how rejuvenated they will feel when they will have to start creating their new programs without taking a break at all.
    Well, the season could start in October? GPs through Dec, National and Continental events in Dec-Jan and Worlds in April.

vCash
    No. Keep it in March.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    If it means Universal Sports will always deliver the amount of tv coverage I am currently getting, then I'm all for the idea! The original tv schedule for the championship in March had MUCH LESS coverage.

vCash
    I see your point as well. The year is short. But maybe if athletes themselves see the advantages, it would be something to consider.
    The level of execution at Moscow Worlds is out-of-the- ballpark so far. Could also be a coincidence, though.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I hope not.There are too many BIG matches in April,we can't see figure skating worlds here,because they broadcast Snooker or Soccer..

vCash
    What Asli said. It gets another no to April from me.

vCash
    Nah. Most people are too tired by April.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Nah. Most people are too tired by April.
    LOL, that's my point. It does not loook like it.

vCash
    No - the NHL playoffs are on - that's a major conflict in Canada.

vCash
    Over the past 15 years or so, the season has become too long overall, IMHO. Fall competitions were not this important before the Grand Prix series was created, and summer competitions were REALLY not important before they started being used as monitoring for fall internationals, at least in the U.S. It used to be fairly common that even elite skaters did one or two low-key internationals in the fall, their national championships, Euros for European skaters, and then Worlds. Now, skaters may do a few summer competitions, maybe a Senior B, two Grand Prixes, GPF, national championships, Euros/4Cs, Worlds, Team Trophy - and they're expected to be in top form for each. Personally, I believe that the human body and the human psyche can't maintain peak conditioning for that long, and yet we expect our skaters to hit 6-7 triples in a competition setting from August/September until March. I think this Worlds is showing - so far - the benefits of being able to take a break from "high in-season" conditioning instead of maintaining it from December to March.

Should Worlds be moved to April permanently? Probably not. Should we, as a community, have a serious discussion about the current structure of the elite season and the long-term consequences of asking skaters to compete so many times over so long a period of time? Probably yes. The true off-season has disappeared, and while the trade-off is income for skaters (from prize money and shows) that wasn't available before the mid-90s, the fatigue and wear-n-tear on the skaters is enormous. And look what great skating we see when they have the chance to train properly!

(Um, not that I feel strongly about this or anything... )

vCash
    I guess I'm the only one who likes it in April. I like having the break. In March I feel like I've seen the programs so many times, in April they seem fresh again.

However, I wouldn't move it permanently unless the skaters wanted to. As athletes they need an off-season to rest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    This might be jumping ahead as two more disciplines to go but so far it looks like this is one of the best Worlds quality-wise in recent history. Now it could be just coincedence but I also feel like the move to April could have played significant part here. And if that's the case, shall ISU consider the permanent move?
    I wonder what skaters think about it. And what do you guys think?
    How was this year's Worlds so superior quality-wise to previous years? I'll allow that the top two in both disciplines were in fine form, but I thought it was widely agreed that Gachinski medalled mostly because most of the men made serious mistakes, and quite a few pairs looked out of sorts, too. The ladies event earlier today wasn't unusually good, either. I wouldn't take the high scores in the men's event as evidence of high quality; it looks like the panel was a bit GOE-happy.

Also, while postponing Worlds allowed some skaters time to heal from injuries, it meant that others had to continue training with injuries for a longer period of time, so that neither adds not subtracts.

I see no reason to move Worlds to late April permanently. The skaters need a break, and while (if I understand correctly) the plan is to have a WTT each April, that's a lot less pressure than Worlds and includes fewer skaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast