Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Why is Gachinski not on the WTT team? Did he decline an invitation or was he not invited at all by his fed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Why is Gachinski not on the WTT team? Did he decline an invitation or was he not invited at all by his fed?
    Well, his name was on the first lists that I saw getting around, so my thinking is that he withdrew/declined.

A shame because I was hoping he could end the season on a high note.

vCash
    So, a little collection of random Artur news:

- He is going to Canada on May 13 to work with David Wilson;

- He skated in the "Champions on Ice" show on April 30, where he skated with Liza in the opening and stole Carolina from Plushy in the closing and danced with her;

- And he skated in the "Believe" charity show on May 1, where he did a number to "Caruso" by Dima Bilan (I'm still looking for the video...)

In the meantime, because it's the off-season, here's a video I found not long ago and have been watching on endless repeat: Artur rocks Michael Jackson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ0QOoT_Jkw

Does anyone know why he changed his ex after this? "Susanna" is quite funny, but Smooth Criminal is just insanely awesome. I'm a bit sad that he changed it.

vCash
    Is he still alive?

I am shocked...

I was sure the Russian Federation would execute him after Nice :-)

vCash
    All the best to Artur. He's still young and will continue to grow. It's not easy to skate in the shadow of Plushenko but he'll get there. He has shown he has the skills.

vCash
    Found the video of Artur skating to "Caruso" by Dima Bilan at the Charity show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p1Ccvy_daXg

He does the sad and dramatic very well, and skates very beautifully. But I am tired of him looking so sad. I want to see a happy Artur.

(I will never, however, be tired of that see-through shirt.)

vCash
    Thanks for the posted links to Artur's recent exhibitions. He looked like he was having so much fun dancing to MJ's Smooth Criminal. Artur looked a lot more loose and happy (less stiff looking). To me, Artur is still rough around the edges (and unfortunately seems to be losing confidence in his jumping), but he has wonderful potential. I would love to see what TAT or just a different coach other than Mishin could do with Artur (and I don't mean Nikolai Morosov either). I think Mishin's emphasis has been too much upon jumps. Plus, I don't like the Plushy-centric style of skating. I don't like it in Zhan Bush either. While Plushy is a great jumper and determined athlete, he never had a smooth style, and he failed to fully develop the artistic side of his skating.

Alexei Yagudin (when he left Mishin for TAT) began to develop a more artistic style. In looking back at Yagudin vids, I think Yags was a better jumper than Plushy. In 2002, Yags was just beginning to find his artistic side, but injuries shortened his career. It would have been interesting to see how much further and better Yags might have improved artistically in figure skating. His 2002 programs which were highly lauded and have become iconic, I think were entertaining by the sheer force of Yag's desire and determination to excel, and he was fueled by TAT's belief in him. OTOH, the lightning quick footwork sequences choreographed by Nikolai (copied by Plush), while dynamic and showy and heralded a fad in footwork sequences, are not the best thing about Yag's skating.

I actually prefer the smoother more balletic Russian style of Alexei Urmanov and Ilia Kulik. It might be nice to see what Urmanov could do for Artur, and allow Mishin to take over training Zhan Bush (Plushy's mini-me).

vCash
    I don't really feel there was any focus on jumps from Gachinski last season. It seemed to be an all trying to improve PCS season. Even the spread eagle 3a's were more about PCS than jumps in my view. There was the 2nd quad added to the FS at Euros and then tried again at worlds but it failed and Euros was the only time quads were successful. Seemed to be an all PCS season of focus.

vCash
    ^^ Like I said, I think Artur would benefit by ballet training and a breath of fresh air from a new coaching situation. He has a lot in him which IMO is at the moment, stifled. Plus, I don't think he should have or deserved to win bronze in his Worlds debut (I know it was home team bronze, but IMO, Alena Leonova deserved to win bronze that year more than Artur).

vCash
    Most of the time it appears jumps are stifled. He has two bad GP seasons because of jump failures and his two big succeses were because of jumps. If a new coach could improve his jump consistency that would be good. It seems counterintuitive to leave Mishin for better jumps but jumps are a big problem for him. Seems like he needs consistency on the hardest jumps and someone good at working PCS. It looks like he is going to spend tons of time learning new SP and LP programs from Wilson but jumps are an issue.

vCash
    Artur has proven he has jumps, but for some reason it seems he has lost confidence in his jumps, or else he needs to rework/ refine his technique. Perhaps the approach to refining his presentation has led to problems for him with focus on the jumps during competition? I think TAT could help Artur regain confidence in his jumps, and definitely help him with presentation skills and artistry. Artur is also young and still needs to gain more experience, obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Thanks for the posted links to Artur's recent exhibitions. He looked like he was having so much fun dancing to MJ's Smooth Criminal. Artur looked a lot more loose and happy (less stiff looking).
    Just to clarify, the Smooth Criminal ex was from 2011 Russian Nationals, so not the season just gone but the one before. I think he looks very happy considering how his Nationals had just gone. He does pull it off so well!

Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I don't really feel there was any focus on jumps from Gachinski last season. It seemed to be an all trying to improve PCS season.
    I would agree with that. I mean, I think he was focused for sure, but they were definitely trying to boost the PCS instead of adding the new jump content they were planning. (Originally he was supposed to try adding the 4Lo in the second half of the season, and so on.)

I don't know why people are talking about a coach change though; one journalist did ask Artur about that at Worlds and Artur shot him down ridiculously fast. Artur seems to think Mishin is the best choice for him at the moment and I think stability is the key. Mishin believes in him, and that's the most important thing.

Artur is still very young (remember, he is still age-eligible for Juniors, that's how young he is) and I think that he has learned a great deal from this season. He's made a step forward with the PCS, we know he has the technical content, now it's time to see if he can bring it together. I think he can.

vCash
    Gachinski has shown he can do all the jumps but the flip. Probably doesn't do that because of an edge call possibility. Though it's true the loop is worth just a fraction less. But he could do 2 loops and flip or whatever along with his lutz's 3a and 4t. He doesn't really do that well except for at 1 or 2 competitions a season out of 5 or 6. There does have to be some consistency and improvement everywhere. Can't really build PCS or a good reputation if he continues his spotty record for a 3rd season where he really only does well once. I was including Russian nationals but that's not a strong field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by weir1 View Post
    Is he still alive?

I am shocked...

I was sure the Russian Federation would execute him after Nice :-)

I guess having Mishin as a coach gives you extenuating circumstances and you don't end up in the Gulag.

It will be interesting to see his new programmes.

vCash
    Just thought I'd drag this thread out of the depths of the Trash Can...

HAPPY 19TH BIRTHDAY ARTUR!

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Happy Birthday Artur!!!

vCash
    Dragging this thread out of the depths again to wish Artur a very happy 20th birthday!

How time flies...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Dragging this thread out of the depths again to wish Artur a very happy 20th birthday!

How time flies...
    Haha! Happy Birthday Artur!

vCash
    Here is some very good news for Artur fans!

In the FS at Golden Spin, Artur landed TWO QUADS (one in combination, both clean!), two triple Axels, a full gamut of other jumps (with only one pop - turned a 3Lz into a 2Lz), level 3s and 4s for his spin, and positive GOE on almost all of his elements! It's not over yet!

vCash
    Well, I have revived this thread for the most shocking, crazy, unexpected news:

ARTUR'S NEW COACH IS TATIANA TARASOVA.

Colour me stunned! At first, I wasn't sure. What about her pet Kovtun? But then, I saw...

...this.

Those in attendance at the show say that it was presented as his new short program, but even if it's not...he looks smoother, more polished, and happier than I've seen him in a long time. I shall have to eat my own words: leaving Mishin may be the best thing to ever happen to him.

The little Prince may yet return!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast