Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Big congrats to him! Even though Plushenko could have medaled he is the first Russian man to win a medal at worlds under COP!
    Didn't Plushy win a medal at Worlds under COP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    Didn't Plushy win a medal at Worlds under COP?
    No, he was injured in 2005, first world were COP was used and after 2006 as you know he retired and when he came back he did not do the worlds. So Gachinski has the honour of winning the first male figure skating medal under COP scoring system.

vCash
    I like him...he reminds me Plushenko, especially for jumps (obviously, same coach..) but as others say, he also has quite a different style, though I wouldn't say Abt, he's still nearer to Plushenko IMO
    Anyway, he did great, and sure winning bronze at first worlds (Plushenko was younger) and even more, at home, it was great for him!

vCash
    I haven't seen him skate yet. Does he have the strong basic skating skills of a Plushenko or Urmanov? How are his carriage and extension?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I haven't seen him skate yet. Does he have the strong basic skating skills of a Plushenko or Urmanov? How are his carriage and extension?
    His skating skill is still like a junior skater. He should improve it till Sochi.

vCash
    I just saw Gachinski's gala performance from Worlds and it's amusing. I guess it was supposed to be amusing? It's not as easy to understand what he's going for when the lyrics are in another language.

vCash
    I just wanted to revive this thread because I think it's important that Artur fans dwell on the good things he managed to achieve this season.

He did have a bad Worlds, but we can't throw him on the scrapheap because of one horrid competition!

Here's Artur's programs from Euros. I really enjoyed him there. He shows a lot of character, especially in the SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GevQjmsXNHM - Short Program - Saint Louis Blues - 1st

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ywEbhH8_Y - Long Program - The Demon - 2nd

I normally hate recycled programs, but I wouldn't mind seeing him do these two again. I think the SP shows a lot of character and is really fun and awesome, while I'm sure he would like to get an opportunity to take the Demon program further and skate it clean on an international stage.

I think he's matured a lot this season - at Euros he had less of that haunted look about him than in the past, and his on-ice personality is really starting to develop!

I don't like this comment from Alexei Mishin though:

"... In fact, there is a serious reason, why Arthur was not ready. But I have no right to disclose it"

(from here: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/518367)

That doesn't sound very good at all. I hope everything is all right in Artur's life now.

vCash
    Gachinski's style is not usually my favorite, but I was really hoping he would do well after last year's breakout skate. I hope he can come back for next year!

I really would take Gachinski, or Voronov, or almost any Russian male skater other than Plushenko!

vCash
    It's a terrible translation I read but what did that say? New boots? Couldn't train right and not enough time to withdraw AND send an alternate?

vCash
    When Gachinski was very young (12 or 13), he was hyped up as the next Plushenko. By those high standards, he has been a disappointment. I like his skating, but unless he gets jump consistency, he cannot be competitive. He had a great worlds last year, and a terrible one this year. So it's hard to say which way it will turn out in the long run. I hope it will turn out great.

vCash
    He had problems with his quads all season except for Euros and maybe one successful one here or there. They were really inconsistent starting from the Japan Open. It was a big problem. Euros was a great show of potential. Everything worked!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It's a terrible translation I read but what did that say? New boots? Couldn't train right and not enough time to withdraw AND send an alternate?
    As far as I am aware, the problems that beset Artur's leadup to Worlds:

- new boots, a month (or less? not sure) before Worlds
    - apparently Papa Mishin was sick, too

plus this "serious reason" that is not Mishin's right to disclose. TBH that's the one that's concerning me most of all.

All that said, however, the only thing Artur was blaming in his interviews so far has been himself.

Here's hoping it all comes back together for him! He's such an exciting skater to watch.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I like this kid a lot. I can't imagine the pressure he has been under, with the public eye on him as the next big Russian thing. I don't know how any young person could stand up under those expectations, and I think he's done very well. So he had a bad World's...so did a lot of people....

I wish him the best. I hope he can come out from under Plushy's shadow and be his very own man and not be compared to anybody else. (Like that's going to happen...)

vCash
    Artur has been named as part of Team Russia for the World Team Trophy!

Here's hoping he ends the season on a high!

EDIT:

No, apparently he's not after all.

Poor Artur, I hope this problem that Mishin won't tell us about is resolved soon. It's sounding more ominous every time I hear it.
    Last edited by misskarne; 04-06-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: new information

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I really like Artur and I hope this bad Worlds was only a one-time experience for him.

I'd love to see him back strong next season to
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Nobody has such a carriage as Urmanov did, in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

No, apparently he's not after all.

Poor Artur, I hope this problem that Mishin won't tell us about is resolved soon. It's sounding more ominous every time I hear it.
    maybe he will retire ?
    its not like Gachinski made any difference to the russian men status anyways

watching Bush, Voronov in the list I realize how this is red alarm for the men's figure skating in Russia. no new talents.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I don't think he's going to retire. Way too young and promising for that.

Maybe he has some personal problems?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post

who knows, Gachinski tends to be a hit or miss
    the pressure is too much for him and maybe retire ?

seriously Russian men need real talents, Gachinski is a hit or miss
    Bush and voronov are the best alternates ?
    Kovtun although is a promising junior also had an epic meltdown at 2012 Nationals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    its not like Gachinski made any difference to the russian men status anyways
    He hasn't really been given the chance to yet. But he had a strong showing at last year's Worlds and had a decent season this year too, including 2nd at Russian Nationals and 2nd at Euros. There were some pretty good skaters at Euros too. Like him or not, the guy's no mug.

He's eighteen. I think he should be given a little more time before he's tossed on the scrapheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post

I'm not sure where this "retirement" speculation came from, but I doubt he would at this point unless he was very seriously injured, and I doubt he is since he managed to land several enormous jumps at Worlds.

I would think the problems are personal...I just hope they're not too serious or that they're solvable...I don't like people being sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast