Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash

Artur Gachinski cheer thread!

He doesn't seem to have a lot of fans here but his debut at Worlds was just wonderful!
    How that 17-year-old kid handled the pressure on home ice and delivered was just breathtaking!
    Way to go, Artur!

Show some LUV!
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    ITA, talk about raising to the challenge. Very impressive debut! Congratulations!

vCash
    I enjoyed his skating, too. He does remind me of Plushenko, but I like Plush, so I don't mind the similarity. Congrats to him.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Big congrats to him! Even though Plushenko could have medaled he is the first Russian man to win a medal at worlds under COP!

Main Offender
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I enjoyed his skating, too. He does remind me of Plushenko, but I like Plush, so I don't mind the similarity. Congrats to him.
    Their technique is the same but I think that Artur's spins are better and his overall body use is softer than Plush's. He's even more plastic IMHO and could do great with lyrical programs.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    He has improved a lot since I last saw him (Skate Canada). But he is the tiniest skater (except for Brezova) I have ever seen. I can't help wondering if he will have a growth spurt sometime soon. The two of them make Tong and Kavguti look like hulks

If skaters get any smaller they will disappear!

Main Offender
    vCash
    He's 175cm according to his ISU bio...like most of the skaters.
    And he's had his growth spurt already, he used to be a lot smaller.

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Congrats for his bronze win on home ice. He did deliver well under pressure, despite some flaws. His long program was expressive and fun, and he's got a lot of Russian flair. He still needs polish and experience though. Somehow, I don't see him as being very lyrical. He has a kind of puckish quality.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    For the first time, he captured my attention. His style reminds me of Leonova with all his facial expressions. Vaulting into the air like Plushenko can only be a strong asset for him to possess. I find him to be a cutie in the making too. It will be interesting to see how he matures in the coming years. Congrats to him for winning the bronze!

vCash
    Actually, with the way he seemed to be skimming across the ice, he reminded me a little more of Kulik or Abt.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Big congrats to him! Even though Plushenko could have medaled he is the first Russian man to win a medal at worlds under COP!
    Really? I didn't know that! Well done Artur!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    He has improved a lot since I last saw him (Skate Canada). But he is the tiniest skater (except for Brezova) I have ever seen. I can't help wondering if he will have a growth spurt sometime soon. The two of them make Tong and Kavguti look like hulks
    At 17 almost 18, I think Artur's nearly done growing. But a lot of men's singles skaters are quite tiny. Yagudin was 5'6" (although he keeps insisting he's 5'9"...bless him.)

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    For the first time, he captured my attention. His style reminds me of Leonova with all his facial expressions. Vaulting into the air like Plushenko can only be a strong asset for him to possess. I find him to be a cutie in the making too. It will be interesting to see how he matures in the coming years. Congrats to him for winning the bronze!
    I'm not sure what happened - I think it's the straightened hair - but suddenly he went from "aww adorable bb" to "OMG hel-LO!"

(It's not pedo, he's 17 )

Seriously, well done Artur. A very impressive performance from one so young. I wasn't a huge fan, but I am definitely keeping an eye on him now.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm not sure what happened - I think it's the straightened hair - but suddenly he went from "aww adorable bb" to "OMG hel-LO!"
    I think it's the straightened hair too that gave him a much cleaner, more handsome look. He actually reminds me a little of Sasha Abt now, and that certainly isn't a bad thing.

vCash
    Won a bronze at 1st worlds just like Plushenko.

vCash
    To finish 3rd at his first Worlds is an impressive accomplishment for any skater; particularly one who isn't even 18. Way to go Artur!

vCash
    I think it's the straightened hair too that gave him a much cleaner, more handsome look. He actually reminds me a little of Sasha Abt now, and that certainly isn't a bad thing.
    Being reminded of Sasha is NEVER a bad thing

Curls make me instantly think of babies and little kids. The straighter hair made him look a little older, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    Plushenko was two years younger

A great acheivement! Here's hoping it's the first of many medals in Artur's future.

vCash
    His jump technique is impeccable and solid - that's classic Mishin training. I sense (and there's just the smallest hint) that he does actually have some lyricism possible in his movement but I fear that Mishin because he's Mishin won't foster that as it clearly isn't meaningful to him (we can see that in Plushy and other skaters he coaches). Right now the programs actually play against it - musical peaks in the middle of spins and stuff like that. That's a shame. While I don't think AG will even have the big presence that Plushenko has on ice (although I don't appreciate Plushy's 'Vancouver style', I admit he has presence), Artur could in many ways be an enjoyable and more complete skater to watch - the question is whether Mishin will nurture that.

Main Offender
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    And like Yags

Bruce Lee

vCash
    I cheer for Artur too!!! I wish him a long and successful career!
    Hopefully Artur develops more his own style and Plushy gets rid of the "Vancouver style " forever and they build a strong team for Russia!!!!

vCash
    Am I the only one who doesn't see that much resemblance with Plush? In his jumping technique, yes, and that is not a bad thing, but I think he has a much better feeling for the music than Plush ever had. And his looks remind me - as someone else here said - more at Alexander Abt thann Plush. Anyway, he was great yesterday and we will see a lot more great programs from him in the future.

vCash
    OK now I'm a believer. I thought his skating was awfully rough at Skate Canada, and the short program at Worlds was a big improvement, but still a little stiff and unconnected. The long program won me over. If he can skate like that at 17 he'll be a real contender for gold in Sochi. He's athletic and has a great sense of drama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    And like Yags
    Wow, I didn't know that. I see a pattern emerging! A good one!

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Hopefully Artur develops more his own style and Plushy gets rid of the "Vancouver style " forever and they build a strong team for Russia!!!!
    Russian 1-2 at Sochi!

Quote Originally Posted by viv View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't see that much resemblance with Plush? In his jumping technique, yes, and that is not a bad thing, but I think he has a much better feeling for the music than Plush ever had. And his looks remind me - as someone else here said - more at Alexander Abt thann Plush. Anyway, he was great yesterday and we will see a lot more great programs from him in the future.
    I can see maybe a tiny vague resemblance in the jumping technique, which I imagine comes from having the same coach. But he seems softer in the knees to my eye than Plushy

I actually think you can visibly track how far Plushy moved away from his formal ballet training as he grew older. When he was younger (and his ballet days were more recent) his movements and music feel were a lot smoother and cleaner. As he's got older, I think he's just lost that very slightly. Of course, he still has some of the best arms in FS, and the most charisma of anyone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast