Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    genevieve, glad your people are accounted for!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Incredible. All of it. My best to all.

NJL

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    My neighborhood (NW Georgia) is fine, bar some tree branches down here and there. Up where my mom lives is a different story. A couple of the barns and buildings on the farm are down, and about 3 acre's distance over (adjacent property), everything is a twisted, mangled wreck.

My Ex-SIL's BFF lost her entire house and their barn last night. The family, fortunately, is safe and uninjured.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    Has anyone heard if the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa sustained any damage? I have a former coworker who works for their library system.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Has anyone heard if the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa sustained any damage? I have a former coworker who works for their library system.
    The mayor of Tuscaloosa was on the phone with CNN today and said there was no damage to the campus. Some off campus housing was hit but they're using buildings on campus as emergency shelters.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I did hear that they have suspended exams. Not that that means anything about damage, but just to share.

I heard that in some places people were killed in their basements. That is so sad. There was literally nothing they could have done if even their basement couldn't save them.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The number of dead is now up to 283. 194 in Alabama. Hopefully most have ben found and that number will not go up but that is probably wishful thinking.
    -Brian

vCash
    Some meteorologists are stating that if you are up against an F4 or F5 that you make a run for it rather than a basement. But I realize a lot of people may not have access to transportation. Ugh, this is so sad...we had 12 people hit by lightening out of nowhere on a soccer field here in Michigan. Thankfully they are all OK.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Yeah, with a F4 or F5 you really are better off running for it but so many people find out WAY too late.

They also say never to get stuck in your car so it is risky.
    -Brian

vCash
    Does RedOnTheHead live near there?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I did hear that they have suspended exams. Not that that means anything about damage, but just to share.

I heard that in some places people were killed in their basements. That is so sad. There was literally nothing they could have done if even their basement couldn't save them.
    That's what I figured since the death toll was so high.

vCash
    I heard about this on the radio news this morning. Dreadful to hear. My thoughts are with those who have been affected.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My thoughts go out to those affected. Such a horrendous event!

Even within a basement, there are safer areas to be than others, depending on which direction the tornado is coming from. The majority, but not all, come from the southwest, so the northeast corner would be the safest part of the basement. This goes against the long-held belief that the southwest corner is the safest. But it's been found that more people die in basements when in the SW corner, because as the house moves, things like the foundation or chimneys are pulled down on top of them.

It probably wouldn't have helped in a case like this, where entire houses were blown away, but useful with smaller tornadoes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post

I'm scratching my head as to how this happens. Did the first floor collapse onto the basement or did the force of the winds actually yank the basement out of the ground?

vCash
    I am not 100% sure but I have heard that in some cases the basements are actually gone. I read one persons account that the people were gone (probably thrown out) and I've read that others were crushed.

The force of this tornado was so strong that one meteorologist speculated they might designate a category beyond EF5 because it was able to rip out basements. However, I don't think anyone really expects that as the devastation of an EF5 is so bad that there is no need for anything beyond. Catastrophic is catastrophic no matter how you look at it.
    -Brian

Quadless
    vCash
    The devastation wrought by this storm is mind boggling. I saw a picture of what used to be a house and all that was left was the concrete steps. Sadly, there were three people inside the house when the storm struck; they were all killed.

Mother Nature seems to be in a particularly testy mood lately. My heart goes out to all who have been affected.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    NPR ran a feature on a husband and wife who grabbed their youngest boys and called for their oldest and just as he got to him the 8 year old was sucked out of the house. The husband was seriously injured but was able to see his child walking out of the mess and back to them with a few bumps and bruises. Amazing. For us (in Kansas) May is usually our "bad" month but I hope it is nothing like this. Just terrible.

To those who live in the South: Twenty years ago I remember hearing about tornado's here and there but not large outbreaks yet it seems in the last 10 years it starts right after Christmas sometimes and appears to be getting worse. What is going on?

vCash
    I'm scratching my head as to how this happens. Did the first floor collapse onto the basement or did the force of the winds actually yank the basement out of the ground?
    National Weather Service says that the best thing to do for an F4 or F5 is a below grade hardened storm shelter or making a run for it. With winds that strong, people can get sucked out of basements or be killed by the house caving in.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    The problem with making a run for it this time, in addition to many of the affected people probably not having cars, was that Birmingham had already gotten hit with 100 mph straight line winds and possibly a tornado in the middle of the previous night, and many neighborhoods were totally buried in trees so that people were trapped in their houses without power to be able to hear the news and see where this thing was going. It went through extremely quickly, the weather was sunny and a lot of people were oblivious until about 5:30, during rush hour.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Does RedOnTheHead live near there?
    Red checked in on a SS thread. They're ok. The tornados went north (I think) of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast