vCash

Need help on baby christening gift ideas

I have a christening to go to on Sunday for a baby boy. I know nothing about what to get for a baby boy for this occasion. Does anyone have any ideas they could share with me?

One idea I thought about was a donation to a children's charity in the name of the child. But I don't know if that is a tacky thing to do in this situation. The parents are millionaires and I thought they might have said "no gifts please" on the invitation but they didn't.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I like the idea of a quality bottle or case of wine from the baby's birth year (which, granted will be months from now). Then it can age nicely until he's legal to drink it.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Is this their first? Books for bedtime reading might be appreciated.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    It's their 3rd. First boy though.

vCash
    I always give a savings bond. Something that the parents and child can't spend until years later when they really might need it for college!

vCash
    I have seen silver tubes before that you can put a birth certificate in.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    If the invitation was a formal announcement card, you might get a silver frame and put the announcement in it. Parents and child will have it as a keepsake.

vCash
    Cash

Tyger (seven months pregnant)

vCash
    I just went to a Christening a few weeks ago. I just gave a nice picture frame (non religious) and some books for them to read to baby at bedtime.

I know some others gave nice, dressy clothing items and one friend bought a frilly picture album with a cross on the front for the parents to put pictures of the christening.

I like the idea of the framed invitation. Wish I had thought of that.

vCash
    Thanks everyone! I like the idea of the invitation in a frame. I've also seen silver cups that can be engraved so I might think about that. I find boys harder to buy for than girls for this occasion. With girls you can always go to jewelry.

Thanks again!

vCash
    Or how about naming a star, or an asteroid after the baby. I think they have a registery where one can buy the rights to naming new space objects they find, along with a silver dollar minted from his birth year, as a permanent keepsake. I mean if the parents have bags of money, this will at least make you stand out from the regular baby stuff that people tend to give as gifts, without breaking your own budget. I still have the silver dollar my aunt gave me, some other special items were the set of beautiful picture frames containing lovely handpainted nursery rhyme characters. They were on my walls for many years, I kept them thinking I would have kids of my own, but I never did so I gave them to my sister for her daughter, along with the china figurine of a baby girl I was given, and a music box that played a lullabye. For years I thought of the people who my mom told me had given me these favorite things that decorated my room, till I got married.

vCash
    Hubby's godson was baptized last year. We gave him an adorable piggy bank with money inside and a savings bond for the education account his parents started.

vCash
    I like the idea of a savings bond, or a baby book.

My sister had a baptism for her children not too long ago, and only about 10% of people gave gifts. Most just brought cards. I was the Godparent, and while I made a blanket for one of the twins to be wrapped in (the other got an antique family gown) I didn't actually give a gift...

vCash
    The clay molds that they can put the baby's hand or feet print (or both) in.

Photo shoot for the family that maybe they can use for Christmas?

I received a time capsule for my oldest that I put a ton of keepsakes in including top movies/ music artists of the year, World Happenings, etc. Clothes he wore as a baby. First lock of hair all that kind of stuff.

Our a really nice journal where all the guests/ family etc can make an entry with wishes/ blessings for the child's future.

Education Fund.

That's all I got...

I made a journal of when I was pregnant and time after my eldest son was born and we are currently reading it. It is so cool reading this journal with him and him getting a chance to to hear what I was thinking and feeling before and after I had him. Now, we are making entries together. He absolutely loves it!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)