Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Michelle Kwan to be one of Olympic torch bearers

I am on my ipad and can not get the links to copy, but I have received several google alerts that Michelle is one of 22 Americans chosen by Coca Cola to carry the torch in the relay around Oxford, England July 9-11. When I get to my lap top, I will post a link (unless someone beats me to it!).

vCash

vCash
    Boy, you're fast! Just beat me to it. Thanks

This summer, 22 outstanding Americans selected by Coca-Cola will light up the streets of Oxford, England as they carry the Olympic Flame in the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay. Among them will be 10 teenagers from across the United States, Olympic figure skater Michelle Kwan, Olympic swimmer Summer Sanders and renowned fitness icon Jake Steinfeld of Body by Jake(R).

vCash
    Good for Michelle!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Congratulations Michelle!! What a wonderful honor!

vCash
    From the Coca-Cola press release linked above:
    Meet the Torchbearers

Coca-Cola proudly invited two Olympic gold medalists to carry the Flame in the 2012 Olympic Torch Relay.

-- Summer Sanders, (Park City, UT): Summer won four medals at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona -- two gold, one silver and one bronze. Since retiring from swimming, she's appeared as a commentator, analyst and host on all four major networks. She is also an ambassador for UNICEF and Right to Play.

-- Michelle Kwan, (Washington, DC): Michelle is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, winning five World Championships, nine U.S. National Championships and two Olympic medals. She is currently a U.S. Public Diplomacy Envoy, meeting with young people worldwide to discuss social and educational issues, and is a member of President Obama's President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition.
    ^^^ They got it right here.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It's a smart marketing strategy: say it enough times, and people will believe it, especially since so many of them already do.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I read right over that OGM comment about Michelle and didn't even blink! That is too funny, I was going right along with it even though I know better! (slapping forehead!)
    ~ Alison

vCash
    Congrats to the honorees. Is this the first time a large group of Americans have been invited to carry the torch in an Olys not hosted by the US?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Things go better with Michelle!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    5 world championships, Olympic silver and bronze. 9 national championships. I think that qualifies her to be mistaken for an Olympic champion. So her Olympic medals may not be the right color, everyone knows who she is, still, to this day. Just the fact that she is chosen to be a torch bearer speaks volumes.
    Congratulations Michelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Things go better with Michelle!

vCash
    Congrats Michelle!
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    While it's a neat honour and all, why would Americans (or anyone else who doesn't live in the host country) be invited to carry the torch within the host country when it's not the US?
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    While it's a neat honour and all, why would Americans (or anyone else who doesn't live in the host country) be invited to carry the torch within the host country when it's not the US?
    Its all about the bucks....
    "More than 90 percent of the Coca-Cola system's investment in the Olympic Games is directed to athlete development, supporting National Olympic Committees and assisting the staging of the Games."

Wonder how much they would give the USFSA if everyone on the team wore Coke jackets?

vCash
    Yeah, and considering that apparently the torch is only allowed to go to the host country now, there's no obvious opportunity for athletes of other countries to carry the torch (when it's supposed to be a pretty global, inclusive thing, I think).

Anyway, congrats to Michelle!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    From the Coca-Cola press release linked above:

^^^ They got it right here.
    That's why I drink Coke instead of Pepsi..

vCash
    -- Summer Sanders, (Park City, UT): Summer won four medals at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona -- two gold, one silver and one bronze. Since retiring from swimming, she's appeared as a commentator, analyst and host on all four major networks. She is also an ambassador for UNICEF and Right to Play.
    They forgot Host of Nickelodeon's game show Figure It Out
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Right around her 32nd birthday

vCash
    It is a wonderful, talented group of people and an honor for them to be chosen by Coca Cola. It is great that Coca Cola is doing this and great that Michelle was chosen to be a part of it. Way to go, Michelle!

Congratulations to the Queen! We miss you, Michelle, but you have moved on and life is great for you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast