Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    RIP you lovely lady
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I was crazy about her. RIP. She had an amazing, distinctive voice. You will be missed.

vCash
    What a gifted singer and devoted mother she was. Now she is at peace in heaven with her beloved daughter.

vCash
    She was such a fabulous singer, I will miss her for sure.

I believe Karyn Cadavy skated to her version of 'At Last'.

vCash
    What sad news. I really admire how she kept working (even singing on commercials, which I didn't know) - many others would have given up after such bad early experiences in the business.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I wore out her album, 'Phoebe Snow'.

"Poetry Man." Sigh. "No Regrets." Double sigh.

RIP Phoebe.

vCash
    What a courageous lady; and fine singer.
    RIP

vCash
    double post, oops sorry

vCash
    I didn't know her story, thank you for that link. I will miss this lovely and wonderful lady.

vCash

vCash
    I didn't know her story either. I appreciate that link, and being able to learn more about her.

Sort of funny story; back in the late 70's I was working at a convenience store. One customer was sort of staring at me as I waited on him. As I bagged his purchases, he finally asked me, "Are you Phoebe Snow?" At the time, I'd never heard of her. I told him no I wasn't. He started to step away, then came back and looked at me closely, and said, "Are you sure you're not her?" I told him I had no idea who Phoebe Snow was. He told me about her singing career. He walked away still sort of looking at me like he didn't believe me. I wonder if he still thinks to this day he'd seen Phoebe Snow herself.

I'd always found it rather funny that the customer thought a successful singer like her would be found working at a convenience store in a poduck little town in Colorado. But now reading her story, I guess it must have been right around the time she had left the music business to care for her daughter. So I guess for him I was like one of the many Elvis sightings people report on.

I don't even remember how I found a picture of her, since I didn't get on the Internet till the 90's. But I do remember thinking I didn't look anything like her. Back when I saw a picture of her, I also thought she was Black (as the article talks about), which I am not, so I never was quite sure why that customer thought I looked like her.
    Last edited by Flatfoote; 04-27-2011 at 12:09 AM.

vCash
    She was well before my generaiton but what a terrible, terrible loss She was an absolutely sublime, uber-versatile singer with a tremendous body of work.

Two brilliant performances:

You Send Me (probably the best version ever)

her performance on Saturday Night Live (back when that show was relevant and showcased more groundbreaking musical acts )

RIP

vCash
    When I was in high school a trio of us girls would occasionally sing Poetry Man on the bus while the rest of the kids rolled their eyes or smirked. That was a wonderful song and Phoebe Snow was such a terrific singer I was always surprised when she didn't follow it up with other hit songs. I didn't know she put her musical career on hold in order to care for her disabled daughter until I heard an interview with her on NPR a few years ago. If there is a god, then Phoebe Snow is with the daughter she loved so much.

vCash
    What a great loss.

I became a fan after hearing "Poetry Man" for the first time, know the lyrics to the song by heart and I made a guitarist friend of mine study the arrangement so we can sing it during our jam sessions. Some people assume she might have went downhill after the death of her daughter whom she had devoted her whole life so much.

" So once again, It's time to say so long and so recall the call of life, la,la,la
    You're going home now"...

RIP Phoebe.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Her dedication to her daughter was incredibly impressive. What a talented, lovely woman.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett