Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Actually a reason to watch in Australia is a group called The Chaser are doing the alternative coverage which means they will totally take the piss out of it. So I will also watch it for that reason.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    The only thing I would be interested in regarding the royal family is the day when Prince Harry is given a DNA test. That guy is NOT Prince Charles' biological son!
    Harry actually resembles his aunt, Lady Sarah Spencer a great deal. Unfortunately for her.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Harry actually resembles his aunt, Lady Sarah Spencer a great deal. Unfortunately for her.
    No one is disputing that Harry is Diana's son.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Prince Charles isn't ugly particularly, he just looks (unfortunately) a great deal like his great-uncle David (aka that jacka$$ Edward VIII, the one who married the Nazi-loving American. No, I don't like the abdicated one or Mrs. Simpson much at all.) The older he gets, the stronger he resembles his grandfather and great-uncle, especially the latter. They weren't necessarily UGLY men, but I would bet the Queen (given her extremely negative, as in blamed-him-for-her-father's-death, feelings for her uncle) doesn't necessarily like the resemblance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Pattern sizing is still like that. I just checked a whole bunch of patterns and 35 inch hips were all size 12.

Did patterns used to match ready to wear size.
    Yeah, those are close to my measurements, and I am anywhere from a 8 to 12 on patterns. I wear a 2 to 4 in the store.

vCash
    weddings are boring as are all of their related functions. I normally just go for the cake and then leave.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    weddings are boring. I normally just go for the cake and then leave.
    You could just buy cake instead of going. Unfortunately for you the cake is usually served near the end of the festivities.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    No you are not and friday could not be over with fast enough for me. Great for the English but I am bored of all this Kate and Wills talk already.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Unfortunately for you the cake is usually served near the end of the festivities.
    I may or may not have sneaked into the kitchen.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I may or may not have sneaked into the kitchen.
    And may or may not have sampled the cake before the bride and groom cut it?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    There are different degrees of caring. Of course since you don't know these people you're not going to care about their wedding in the same way as if they were family members, for example. But even the people that proclaim, "I couldn't care less about the wedding" will probably take a peek the next day to see what the dress looked like or to see snippets of the wedding pictures, etc. ... and then they still go on and proclaim that they didn't care, LOL.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Whoever his father might be, Harry is a doll baby! But I did google the subject, and there's a photo of Hewitt that one can view and make up your own opinion about. I am not going to speculate on the quality of this journalism......muckraking perhaps and probably totally untrustworthy. But just for kicks, it's entertaining. I especially like the part that "while under hypnosis, Hewitt admitted he first met Diana in 1981....." Yeah, ok.

http://ianundercover.com/2009/05/31/...-royal-family/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    No one is disputing that Harry is Diana's son.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Whoever his father might be, Harry is a doll baby! But I did google the subject, and there's a photo of Hewitt that one can view and make up your own opinion about.
    And believe me, I have!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    The amount of talk about hating the wedding hype has now officially exceeded the wedding hype.

I'm finding it remarkably easy to tune it all out, maybe because I watch very little TV news and don't read many magazines, aside from specialty ones. Seems like I haven't seen much hype at all.
    That's probably why you don't notice way OTT media overkill.

I haven't watched any entertainment programs in months (okay not just because of the Royal wedding but also due to the Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan overkill) but I do like to watch my local news and even they have jumped on the "the whole world is just dying" to get the latest wedding news. Now even watching an hour of television you can't get away from the commercials. From what I understand even The Weather Channel?!? is having wedding coverage. I'm finding that I am watching less television lately.

The media and entertainment journalists in general almost always seem to hype celebrities insisting that we all want to know every detail but for some reason they've outdone themselves this time around. I get the hype in the British press but I'm at a loss as to why the American media is pushing so hard.

I've never been into Royalty in general but made exceptions for Princess' Grace, Diana, Caroline and every now and then her daughter Charlotte. And I admit that following those ladies was more for shallow reasons (how they carried themselves and their fashion sense).

I don't have anything personal against William and his bride to be but enough already. I'll be glad when it's over.

orbitz . I'll probably watch the evening news to see the dress but that's about it. The rest of the day the television will be off and I'll be catching up on some reading/cleaning.

I don't think it's so much that people don't care (well some don't and don't even intend to look up what the dress looked like) it's that again the press didn't give people a chance to make up their minds and get interested in the event on their own. It's been non stop wedding stories since the day the engagement was announced. I don't even think people payed that much attention to Diana.

I guess it's hard for me to find Prince Harry or anyone else for that matter attractive when the personality is lacking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    You realize that's a challenge, right? Someone is now going to try and come up with a thread where they are, truly, the only one.
    Am I the only one who missed the days when golf broadcasts would cut into figure skating?

As far as the royal wedding, I'm neither here nor there. It's just like any other celebrity wedding to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I think she was very pretty, but the hair was bad, bad, bad. She had the feathered look for way too long...it went out in the mid-80s, and she never really let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    ITA with you and danceronice . I always thought longer hair would have been more flattering on her too. Her hair was so thick and big and just completely overwhelmed her face .
    While Diana wasn't gorgeous I did think she was pretty and I gave her a pass on the hair (and her choice of wedding dress) because it was 1981. When you look back at the styles back then she wasn't alone in having a hairstyle.

I also wonder looking back speaking of weddings if she chose the design of her dress herself or if others had input. It might be possible that style was chosen because of her new position and if she hadn't been marrying the Prince of Wales her choice of dress might have looked different. I do think that Diana was one of those people who could pull off looks that would be completely ridiculous on almost everybody else. I used to love the feathered and veiled hats she wore early in her marriage.

vCash
    I honestly think that the news media in the US is looking for something positive in the world. Something that makes someone smile instead of the war, killing, economy, natural disasters, bat shite crazy drugged out so called celebs.

I don't know their personalities, I don't know if they are boring or vanilla or whatever. What I like, is that when they smile at each other - they are both smiling and looking at each other. Unlike Diana - puppy love eyes and Charles - what the hell did I get into eyes. Wills and Kate look happy together. And they look wholesome - now who knows what goes on behind those closed bedroom doors? Maybe they are wild and kinky? Maybe not so vanillay?

I do think in the quest for some happy news, the news media has gone overboard big time. And no news media wants to back down for fear that they will lose viewership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I'm sure some would relish the scandal of James Hewitt being Harry's father, but I really doubt that Diana was fooling around barely two years after the wedding. I always thought that Harry had a strong resemblance to his uncle Charles Spencer.
    This. Also Diana didn't take up with James Hewitt until she had already had William and Harry. I agree that Harry looks like the Spencers.

eta: I know the U.S. networks are saying that they expect 2 billion people around the world to tune in but after all the hype and the press generally printing what they want to print regarding the wedding I'm not sure I'll believe any ratings numbers they quote.

There are people who are excited and will be watching but there seems to be an almost equal amount (even in Great Britain) who aren't. I was reading one British message board and people talked about leaving town for holidays or at least spending the day at the beach with a picnic lunch and a good book.
    Last edited by Carmen Ovsiannikov; 04-27-2011 at 02:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    I didn't care that much when Princess Diana got married to Charles. Mom did, hence the TVs were on all day.

Blah. I will be tuning out. Anyone with me?
    My mother is fed up with hearing about it in the news. She has no interest in Euro royalty and wasn't even sure which of the princes was getting married. I, otoh, will get up at 3:30am Central Standard Time to watch Prince William and Kate Middleton tie the knot. I tell my relatives that I'm curious as to what Kate Middleton's wedding gown will look like. However, I'm a sucker for all the hoopla and protocol that surrounds royal weddings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Even the Queen herself is more badass than they are.
    Great line!

Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I mean, it's just a wedding. Now, if this were a coronation or something; then I'd understand the interest...I mean, that's history.
    Quote Originally Posted by icenut84 View Post
    It kind of is a coronation though - Kate becomes a Princess and the future Queen!
    I think Spareoom meant that the ceremony itself is a wedding, not the coronation ceremony. ITA - that would be something interesting to watch because I can't recall ever seeing that or reading details about coronations, since there have been so few in my lifetime.

Fergie became a Princess at her wedding, too, and look how well that turned out. Don't count your future Queens before they get the scepter.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Interesting look at wedding dress patterns from 1940s through the 80s.
    http://sewretro.blogspot.com/2011/04...ctive-40s.html
    McCall's 6353 was essentially the early 1980's wedding gown I made for myself, except with a swiss dot lace over the taffeta. I mixed-and-matched a few different patterns and added some custom features. No mutton sleeves though - I thought Diana's dress was "too large" as someone else stated. Thanks for the link!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast